Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first Challenger - '20 GT AWD, all black. Anyone have thoughts on ceramic coating in general and/or specific coatings that would be best? It's going to be my winter car and drive in a lot of snow and salted roads.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,629 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) What do I think?

CarPro Cquartz Finest (Now Finest Reserve), only the best detailers are authorized to apply it

There are other great coatings, but I can only vouch for this one. I can't comment on snow and salted roads...I've seen snow on TV :)

A Guy

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
430 Posts
Coatings - another sacrificial barrier to protect your paint. It ain't as magical as some manufacturers would leave you to believe (well, it's there job to SELL you their product). Garage kept queens taken only to car shows should naturally be immaculate.

If it's going to be driven in snow and salt in the Rust Belt look into undercarriage corrosion protection. A thorough misting of "oil" all beneath and inside panels (they drill a tiny hole, spray, then plug it). Cost is comparable to ceramic coatings but instead of preventing tiny scratches in clear coat you're fighting metal eating rust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your thoughts.

Yeah, it's gonna be driven in the snow of the Midwest.

Sweet ride, A Guy, did u black out the tail lights too?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,629 Posts
Yes, everything but headlights (and they used to be ;))

A Guy

·
Registered
75 Posts
My '17 GT is heading into its 4th upstate NY winter with 2 coats (so far) of Mothers CMX ceramic coating. Last year I put 2 coats on Mrs. Mailman's Escape and was blown away with how easy it was to keep clean. Regular washings were done at my buddy's hand car wash where a simple rinse would take of 95+% of everything. The rest I'd get with Meguiars Waterless Wash.

I'm sold on the results I got from using the CMX. If there is any downside to the product it's that is makes maintaining a beautiful finish too easy. I look at detailing as one of my favorite hobbies and now that two of our three cars have ceramic, I spend more time just admiring them than actually working on them.

My suggestion is to take an hour (or 2 or 3....) and go on line and do some research. Mothers, Meguiars, Griots, and many others have great consumer sites with video instructions on how to use their products. You tube also has many amateur detailers with how-to videos. They will all tell you that you must always 'prepare' your paint which also is a do-it-yourself project.

I'm serious when I say this.......If you lived near me I'd invite you over and do the whole process with my products for you. You'd have to bring beer and help a little. That's how user-friendly and easy Ceramics can be.

Good luck....................the Mailman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My '17 GT is heading into its 4th upstate NY winter with 2 coats (so far) of Mothers CMX ceramic coating. Last year I put 2 coats on Mrs. Mailman's Escape and was blown away with how easy it was to keep clean. Regular washings were done at my buddy's hand car wash where a simple rinse would take of 95+% of everything. The rest I'd get with Meguiars Waterless Wash.

I'm sold on the results I got from using the CMX. If there is any downside to the product it's that is makes maintaining a beautiful finish too easy. I look at detailing as one of my favorite hobbies and now that two of our three cars have ceramic, I spend more time just admiring them than actually working on them.

My suggestion is to take an hour (or 2 or 3....) and go on line and do some research. Mothers, Meguiars, Griots, and many others have great consumer sites with video instructions on how to use their products. You tube also has many amateur detailers with how-to videos. They will all tell you that you must always 'prepare' your paint which also is a do-it-yourself project.

I'm serious when I say this.......If you lived near me I'd invite you over and do the whole process with my products for you. You'd have to bring beer and help a little. That's how user-friendly and easy Ceramics can be.

Good luck....................the Mailman
Thanks so much for all this info. It sounds really great. I'm a bit far to road trip out there to do some coatings with you, too bad, but thanks for the offer. I think I'll likely go ahead with some kind of a coating once I look into it more. Especially with black cars - if those are all done up well, they just look amazing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts