Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been an oldschool wax twice a year guy, but I want to give my new Challenger the best protection I can afford. I've been reading up on ceramic coatings, and plan to have the whole car done. I've also been reading up on PPF, and I'm thinking I might want to do the entire front end plus rocker panels.

I get what the PPF does, but not how it works in conjunction with ceramic coating. There's something that isn't clicking for me with the PPF, as the recommendations I'm reading are to put the ceramic coating on over the PPF. If the ceramic coating bonds with the paint, how can it do that through the PPF? If it's not bonding with the paint, how does it enhance the shine?

I'm hoping someone can break this down for me in a way that doesn't sound like a commercial for either product. Local shops want over $5k for full front end PPF plus top end ceramic coating, and if I shell out for that I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I know nothing of the ceramic coatings, but when it comes to your PPF on your Widebody, DO NOT WAIT. You probably already have chips on your flares! I had them do my front fascia, and the front of all 4 flares, plus tint, for about $800. Xpel was the brand.
I even added the ZL1 Rockguards and Side Extenders for added protection.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
Paint protection film protects against Rock chips and stuff like that. Ceramic coating stops bird poop from staining your clear coat. Ceramic coating over top of paint protection film provides both benefits.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I've always been an oldschool wax twice a year guy, but I want to give my new Challenger the best protection I can afford. I've been reading up on ceramic coatings, and plan to have the whole car done. I've also been reading up on PPF, and I'm thinking I might want to do the entire front end plus rocker panels.

I get what the PPF does, but not how it works in conjunction with ceramic coating. There's something that isn't clicking for me with the PPF, as the recommendations I'm reading are to put the ceramic coating on over the PPF. If the ceramic coating bonds with the paint, how can it do that through the PPF? If it's not bonding with the paint, how does it enhance the shine?

I'm hoping someone can break this down for me in a way that doesn't sound like a commercial for either product. Local shops want over $5k for full front end PPF plus top end ceramic coating, and if I shell out for that I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.
On my Scat, the PPF "feels" like it is over the Ceramic. Maybe the ceramic is just so thin you can still feel the PPF. They did the front cap and fender flares tucked so you cannot feel it. The fenders they did up to the body line. Since it blends with the panel line you cannot see it but it you run your fingers over it you can feel the edge. Whole car ceramic. The ceramic is guaranteed for 4 years and I have heard you can expect 5-6 years from a good application.
It is not cheap. In addition to what I outlined above they tinted all the window (except windshield), installed rock guards, did paint correction and polish enhancement.
$3546.00 out the door.

Reactions: Hellraisin

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
Just make sure you put the ceramic on top. It does nothing if it's on the bottom.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's expensive it works but it changes how your car looks and feels. Some of them don't fold around corners and you get dirt lines. I don't like them but I like the protection.

Ceramic coatings are good but the down fall is water Spots. I don't get it how they get water spots when they are supposed to be the best protection. Graphene is supposed to address this issue. There is another, Dust. You car becomes a dust magnetic. I mean You can be drying your car and the dust is already starting to land and attract. I know I have Pitch Black and it's coated and it drives me crazy.

Waxing your car twice a year is not a good plan. 4 times a year would be a much better plan with spray toppers in-between coats. Spray waxes help keep your wax layer fresh and helps it last longer.

We can go down the detailing road as far as you want. I'm a retired detailer from the 90's be I'm still an enthusiastic about detailing. I have a pretty decent arsenal and try to keep up with todays technology. I've been through all the wax, Sealants and now Ceramics with Graphene.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
It's expensive it works but it changes how your car looks and feels. Some of them don't fold around corners and you get dirt lines. I don't like them but I like the protection.

Ceramic coatings are good but the down fall is water Spots. I don't get it how they get water spots when they are supposed to be the best protection. Graphene is supposed to address this issue. There is another, Dust. You car becomes a dust magnetic. I mean You can be drying your car and the dust is already starting to land and attract. I know I have Pitch Black and it's coated and it drives me crazy.

Waxing your car twice a year is not a good plan. 4 times a year would be a much better plan with spray toppers in-between coats. Spray waxes help keep your wax layer fresh and helps it last longer.

We can go down the detailing road as far as you want. I'm a retired detailer from the 90's be I'm still an enthusiastic about detailing. I have a pretty decent arsenal and try to keep up with todays technology. I've been through all the wax, Sealants and now Ceramics with Graphene.
"Ceramic coatings are good but the down fall is water Spots."
"You car becomes a dust magnetic"
Even though I've only had my fully Ceramic coated Scat 2 weeks. I can say that both of these statements are absolutely true. At least with my car.
Still, when the spots are off and the dust is wiped off, it looks amazing.

Reactions: Hellraisin

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know nothing of the ceramic coatings, but when it comes to your PPF on your Widebody, DO NOT WAIT. You probably already have chips on your flares! I had them do my front fascia, and the front of all 4 flares, plus tint, for about $800. Xpel was the brand.
I have a ? for you. I just had Xpel installed last week.
What did they give you to cover any Warranty claims in the future?
Did you get some kind of card or something?
I got nothing

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,660 Posts
Ceramic coating over PPF is the best of both worlds

The PPF once installed, if done right isn't "visible". In other words, it just looks like paint and isn't obvious by itself. Now adding Ceramic just adds the same benefits of ceramic on paint. Gloss, hydrophobic, chemical resistance. PPF isn't very hydrophobic, and will usually get slightly dirtier than just paint. It also affects the clarity to a small degree as it is a film after all. The ceramic restores the gloss and enhances it, just as on paint. It also protects the film. The PPF is protecting your clear coat, and the ceramic is protecting the PPF

PPF by itself is great for protection against small chips, etc. But isn't as hydrophobic or glossy as paint. Ceramic takes gloss to another level, whether on paint, or over PPF

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SP WB - Hellraisin, A8, Plus Pckg, Tech Grp, Driver Conv, Alpine, Sunroof, Spoiler
213 Posts
As always A Guy is giving great info. I have PPF full front and some rear - mostly glad I did it.

I'll say to OP that not all PPF shops are great at what they do so choose wisely. Mine is about a year old and there are some blemishes in tight/tough areas in the front end. Seems like maybe it just wasn't applied well and I didn't notice everything when I had it done (had never seen ppf before in person). I did have to go back right after it was done and have them cut some obvious areas they missed after I had a closer look at home. The shop I used was full of nice folks but I'm not sure I got the best quality work.

If you want protection and shine with easy cleaning, get both if you can afford it.

PS: maybe I'll do a separate thread with some photos to see what the consensus is on my PPF complaints.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have a ? for you. I just had Xpel installed last week.
What did they give you to cover any Warranty claims in the future?
Did you get some kind of card or something?
I got nothing
They gave me some paperwork. I'd have to review it.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
another viable option for OP if they want to try something unique with the option to go back to factory right?
I'm in love with the Hellraisin paint, so I want to make it look its best. Looks like PPF plus ceramic coating, now just wondering if I should go with graphene.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did both on my 17 sp and was very pleased with the combo. Definitely gonna do my wb with both again. As far as water spots I used an battery operated pressure washer with distilled water. Worked beautifully.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,660 Posts
I'm in love with the Hellraisin paint, so I want to make it look its best. Looks like PPF plus ceramic coating, now just wondering if I should go with graphene.
I think Graphene has potential, but as of yet, the finished products have not had nearly the development and long term testing of Ceramic coatings. I personally would not experiment. Get one of the best Ceramic coatings and get guaranteed long term effects ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Did both on my 17 sp and was very pleased with the combo. Definitely gonna do my wb with both again. As far as water spots I used an battery operated pressure washer with distilled water. Worked beautifully.
"battery operated pressure washer with distilled water"
Where did you get this. You add your own water?
I'm having problems with water spots on my Ceramic. May give it a try.

·
Registered
2021 F8 Green Scat Pack Shaker
327 Posts
Holy crap. Are you all showing these cars? Washing with distilled water, LMAO!!!

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're looking for a rinse, you could use a 1.5 gal. pesticide sprayer and distilled water. We use them on jobsites for rinsing off anything that doesn't need a ton of water.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Holy crap. Are you all showing these cars? Washing with distilled water, LMOA!!!
Yes, preparing for the car show season here. Multiple vehicles. Glad you find trying to gain an edge in the Judge's eyes so amusing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts