Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK!
So Piston Pete is out of the shop 2 months now.
At the one month ponit, there was enough crap on the top surfaces that I used up a full clay bar.
Then did Maguire's Poly Sealant and Ice Wax!

She's in the shop now, where they wanted to touch up buff a place or two, and now the shop owner is trying to get me to buy CERAMIC COATING!
Says it will last years on the paint.
He has a subcontractor that will do it for $750. (not sure of the exact product).

Yes, even with the recent clearcoat and buffing, there are till some slightly visible scratches when you look up really close.
I am very satisfied with result of the poly seal and wax. But, I know that it would have to be done a couple times a year with my driving habits.

SHOULD I DO IT???

·
Registered
28 Posts
My local guy uses ceramic pro. He says there are two hardness levels. For $1100 they put 3 coats of the harder stuff then 2 coats of the not so hard stuff. They also do the outside of the wheels for this price. For an extra $400 they will pull the wheels and do the whole wheel inside and out, and the calipers.
I was going to go for it but had to have rail dust corrected at the dealership and then just didn't have the time afterwards due to vacations. Now I believe it will need to be clayed first before doing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
I put a ceramic coating on mine this spring.

Prior to doing it, I would do a good paint cleaning/correction to maximize the results. When I bought my car it had a ton of minor swirls, my guess is from lots of drive through washes. I spent a weekend going over the paint many times with some chemical brothers products and then the ceramic coating.

I’m a big fan so far of the ceramic coating. Water just beads off of it. This is on my 11:

I used Cquartz: https://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Cquar..._desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_d_pd

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks nice

My local guy uses ceramic pro. He says there are two hardness levels. For $1100 they put 3 coats of the harder stuff then 2 coats of the not so hard stuff. They also do the outside of the wheels for this price. For an extra $400 they will pull the wheels and do the whole wheel inside and out, and the calipers.
I was going to go for it but had to have rail dust corrected at the dealership and then just didn't have the time afterwards due to vacations. Now I believe it will need to be clayed first before doing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is similar to what my guys put as well...It's basically about the amount of coats is how long it will a) last and b) cost.
I will say I do know several guys who've had this done and their cars look great and they haven't had any issues. I would love too just hard to cough up the cash at the moment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have bought up a couple bottles of the cquartz myself. I'm hoping to get my car clean enough to do a few coats. I did a friends Jeep last year and it still looks superb. At my job we only have simonize, which does a nice job but quartz last much longer.

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I have mine coated and would recommend it. The price is almost too low, two questions you need to ask are what product are they using to coat it, an how much time will they spend polishing your paint before they coat it?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Op, get your putter out of the bag and point it at your car. Waive it in a circular motion three times and say Abracadabra. Wait two minutes and mail me a check for 375 dollars. The results will very similar than paying them 750.

Spend a couple hundred bucks on a porter cable and a few paint correction products and do it yourself. Autogeek will fix you right up and you gain a skill and you better appreciate the results and have bucks left in your pocket.

enjoy and good luck

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
The way that everyone describes their "Ceramic Coating" pretty much describes that results that I get with "Liquid Glass". I've used this for decades now, and the more coats that are put on, it will "shine" better and longer.

Like the ceramics, it will eventually wear down, and need a "recharge", as the ceramic folks call it. A couple of coats of Liquid Glass will bring it right back to where it was.

LG is about $25 a can or less, and will cover a Challenger with right at 6 coats. Follow the directions, and it looks like a million :)

Of course, the paint needs to be prepped. or corrected to the level that you want, then start the LG process.

Big difference IMO, is the DIY time, vs getting your car done. I do mine myself and enjoy it, and I've found out that using a 303 Quick Detailer after a wash, makes the LG last even longer.

Besides enjoying the time detailing, I don't mind saving a huge sum of money. Bottom line, the prep work is what makes whatever product you use amplify the cars paint.

IMO, that's where the cost of the ceramic coating comes into play. A lot of prep work, and multiple coats, and no work involved on the owners part.

Nothing better than a great shine, whatever the process.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Spend a couple hundred bucks on a porter cable and a few paint correction products and do it yourself. Autogeek will fix you right up and you gain a skill and you better appreciate the results and have bucks left in your pocket.
This ^^^ I used C-Quartz and am very happy. Did it for less than I could have paid someone and now have all the tools and supplies necessary to do the upkeep.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just to be devil's advocate here, I used that Cquarts stuff... took hours to do after claying. i didn't get any results from it, seemed like a normal wax job to me. lasted just as long... maybe i did it wrong but i followed the instructions. I was just really let down after how people talked about it on here...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just to be devil's advocate here, I used that Cquarts stuff... took hours to do after claying. i didn't get any results from it, seemed like a normal wax job to me. lasted just as long... maybe i did it wrong but i followed the instructions. I was just really let down after how people talked about it on here...
Jerry,

I have been reading and researching the Ceramic coatings and it seems to me they do work.
But, it also seems to me that it is NOT for the Do-It-Selfer (Spelling) from all that I have read.
I'm sure a person could do it themselves but IMHO they would more than likely have to have a background in that area.

The next car I purchase I'm going to have that done by a Professional Shop.
And it is Super Expensive from what I have read.

Terry

·
Registered
513 Posts
absolute madness

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Op, get your putter out of the bag and point it at your car. Waive it in a circular motion three times and say Abracadabra. Wait two minutes and mail me a check for 375 dollars. The results will very similar than paying them 750.

enjoy and good luck
Sorry Hawk!
You treating me as if I haven' "been there".
I have a good Porter-Cable ROM, and worked on the paint with my last 7 cars!
I have usually used Adam Car Care or Meguires products.
I've even tried some of the magical polishes and waxes posted on this forum, and our local Club Pages!

Car is coming out of the shop having been paint corrected! All the top surfaces they air brushed for me has 8 COATS OF CLEAR!

Nothing....NOTHING seems to get rid of all swirls and light scratches.
So, now I am now concentrating on "PAINT PROTECTION"!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm a fan. Although I did it myself, I might take it to a shop next time. Spent the whole day washing, claying, polishing, then applying the sealant. That was a long day.

Love how the water just beads off and what I like the most is....removing bugs from the front bumper. Wipes off extremely easy with some detail spray and micro fiber towel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a fan. Although I did it myself, I might take it to a shop next time. Spent the whole day washing, claying, polishing, then applying the sealant. That was a long day.

Love how the water just beads off and what I like the most is....removing bugs from the front bumper. Wipes off extremely easy with some detail spray and micro fiber towel.

Yah! I couldn't believe that I used up one whole clay bar on the hood, top, and trunk lid....just 2 months after the paint job!
:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Sorry Hawk!
You treating me as if I haven' "been there".
I have a good Porter-Cable ROM, and worked on the paint with my last 7 cars!
I have usually used Adam Car Care or Meguires products.
I've even tried some of the magical polishes and waxes posted on this forum, and our local Club Pages!

Car is coming out of the shop having been paint corrected! All the top surfaces they air brushed for me has 8 COATS OF CLEAR!

Nothing....NOTHING seems to get rid of all swirls and light scratches.
So, now I am now concentrating on "PAINT PROTECTION"!

I wasn't treating you anyway....just stating an opinion that you asked for. No coating is going to stop swirls.....only cover some of them up. The PC used a couple time per year is very effective...and even better since you have all the tools... Hey you could always sprinkle some chicken blood on it and say a magical chant and talk the swirls off for a lot less than 750.00. I had a wart talked off once for free!!! :badrazz: :)

Good luck either way you go.

edit... for I guess had I payed more attention I would have seen you'd already made up your mind lol...enjoy that magic.

Let us know how much all that set you back including the coating.....I shouldn't have opened the thread, I only did because I thought we were talking about real ceramic coating like on headers. :lol:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts