Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Once I decided to install a CAI I started looking at what was available. It didn't take long to see that most if not all were basically the same. A connecting tube from the intake, a box to house the filter and some form of a gauze filter. So, why pick the Cervini "Ram Air" setup. Well, the price ($300) was in the ball park of all the ones that I looked at, it had all the components of all other CAI's but the implementation was different, not to mention the "Kool Look" factor.

I will score each part of the install on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being poor and 10 being great. I also decided to buy from a forum vendor (High Horse Performance) as the price was the same if I had bought it from Cervini's.

Availability

Score - 1 HHP site said 1 to 2 days shipping. This assumes it is not back ordered. I placed my order on January 12, 2010 and received the parts on March 1, 2010. My credit card was charged the day after the order.

Communication

Score - HHP 3 & Cervini 5

HHP didn't return a Customer Service call after I left a msg. They also did not reply to my first email. It took 3 days for the second email to get answered and they said it would ship on Friday, which didn't happen.

After a month I decided I would take the lead and called Cervini's and was told they were on back order and would ship in few days, yea right. After another week I called HHP Customer Service, again no answer. So, I decided to use an old trick of calling sales... it works every time. After some discussion and wait time I was told the hold up was the K&N filters and it should be resolved in a couple of days. Needless to say it didn't happen. I called back and was going to cancel the order but I was told they would get a filter from another vendor if necessary and ship the order.

Fit and finish of the air box

Score - 4

The air box is 2 or 3 piece injected molded plastic. The seams were not trimmed and there was a lot mold release oil on the box inside and out. You will need to use some Prep Sol or other cleaner to get that stuff off if you plan to paint it. If you want a real smooth paintable surface your probably going to have to put some "Bondo" on it and sand like crazy.

What's in the package?

So what do you get.... 2 boxes.

1 has the part the fits in the hood and the other has the air box, air box cover, air filter, replacement breather and
screw/scrivet package.

CAI Install

You will need:

1) Screw drivers
2) 8mm socket
3) 2mm allen wrench
4) M6-1.00x25 flat head screw
5) 7/64 drill bit
6) 4 6-32x1/2 screws

Remove the stock air box

1) Remove the engine cover.
2) Remove the breather hose from the air box to the engine.
3) Loosen the clamp on the air box.
4) Remove the bolt the holds the stock air box to the grill support.
5) Remove the rubber mounting grommet from the stock air box as it will be used on the Cervini air box.

Now is the time to decide if you want to paint the Cervini air box. Being that my car is not going in the show car ring I decided to shoot a coat of black paint over it. I started to clean it up and realize that I would have to spent a lot of time prepping the air box if I wanted really nice looking unit. So, I decided to scuff up the plastic shoot a couple of coats of self etching primmer on and then add a couple of coats of black. Dupli Color and Eastwood sells rattle cans that work pretty darn good.

Install the Cervini air box

1) Attach the rubber mounting grommet from the stock air box to the Cervini air box.
2) Install the M6 bolt to hold the air box in place. You can't use the stock air box bolt as it interferers with the air box grill cover.
3) Attach the air intake tube to the air box. You may have to loosen the clamp that holds the tube to the intake to get everything lined up.
4) Install the K&N filter. This just slides into the hole in the air box and is a press fit, no clamps.
5) Install the air box grill. Don't be surprised if the holes don't line up. I went to my local hardware store and got a few SS 1/2" screws just like the grill mounting screws and used them in the 4 corners. I started in the lower right corner and use the supplied hole and drilled the rest. Be careful when you tighten the grill screws as you are screwing them into plastic and they will strip out in NY second.

Install the breather

This should be a no brainier. But, they give you a breather that mounts on a 3/8 to 1/2" connector and the one on the intake cover is 3/4". So, I took a razor knife and modified it to fit.

Now recheck all you clamps and reinstall the engine cover and your done.

Once I get the hood part cleaned, primed, painted and mounted I will post Part 2.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Concerns over the Cervini Air Box

Hi,
Too bad I didn't look at this before I attempted to install mine. The instructions were ok, but missing a few steps and helpful images too BTW. The emails w/pics I sent to Cervini didn't make it to their tech department and I ended up sending it several times. It was probably their email server filtering out large images and trying to combat spam. lol Not really a big deal but that held up the install because of a few issues not documented in the instructions. I had a friend and coworker who's an excellent, high trained and experienced auto technician do most of the install with my help. However, we decided the Cervini air box was either incorrect or possibly missing an adaptor of some sort and went on to install the webelectric sequential light kit instead.
The next day, I talked to a representative by phone and he politely filled me in on a few things that again, weren't mentioned in the instructions, so I decided since the hard work was mostly done, the hood, I'd finish the job in a jiffy...well almost. Their Air Box doesn't fit quite as elegantly as the OEM one but I expected that to some extent. My biggest concern is that the Cervini air box hits the AC compressor's low side hose and it's putting some pressure on the line. He assured me that my AC line would be just fine but I mentioned that my car only has a little more than 700 miles and I'm not sure if I want to take a chance on a future problem. Living in LA the "other L.A." our roads aren't the best in the nation and even though I try to avoid as many pot holes and bad roads it's virtually impossible to eliminate all the vibrations which in turn could rub a hole into the hose. Maybe that would take a few years or maybe not. If it did the factory warranty wouldn't cover that for sure!

I'm not sure what to do at this time. If their box was a just a wee bit little smaller or trimmed in that area I wouldn't worry. However, I see you did do a few more things that I missed which might make a difference. Maybe I'll take another shot at it in the next day or two.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what to do at this time. If their box was a just a wee bit little smaller or trimmed in that area I wouldn't worry. However, I see you did do a few more things that I missed which might make a difference. Maybe I'll take another shot at it in the next day or two.
I just checked my A/C lines and so far no issues.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi,
Too bad I didn't look at this before I attempted to install mine. The instructions were ok, but missing a few steps and helpful images too BTW. The emails w/pics I sent to Cervini didn't make it to their tech department and I ended up sending it several times. It was probably their email server filtering out large images and trying to combat spam. lol Not really a big deal but that held up the install because of a few issues not documented in the instructions. I had a friend and coworker who's an excellent, high trained and experienced auto technician do most of the install with my help. However, we decided the Cervini air box was either incorrect or possibly missing an adaptor of some sort and went on to install the webelectric sequential light kit instead.
The next day, I talked to a representative by phone and he politely filled me in on a few things that again, weren't mentioned in the instructions, so I decided since the hard work was mostly done, the hood, I'd finish the job in a jiffy...well almost. Their Air Box doesn't fit quite as elegantly as the OEM one but I expected that to some extent. My biggest concern is that the Cervini air box hits the AC compressor's low side hose and it's putting some pressure on the line. He assured me that my AC line would be just fine but I mentioned that my car only has a little more than 700 miles and I'm not sure if I want to take a chance on a future problem. Living in LA the "other L.A." our roads aren't the best in the nation and even though I try to avoid as many pot holes and bad roads it's virtually impossible to eliminate all the vibrations which in turn could rub a hole into the hose. Maybe that would take a few years or maybe not. If it did the factory warranty wouldn't cover that for sure!

No issues with A/C lines on mine either , BUT if you notice he has 2012 and there were some changes in 2011, that could be making the difference.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Went a little different route when installing mine.
VERY Cool!!! Where did you get that 345 Hemi decal? Might want to put that on the center of my Orange Mopar Cover...

·
Registered
287 Posts
VERY Cool!!! Where did you get that 345 Hemi decal? Might want to put that on the center of my Orange Mopar Cover...
Sent a PM as non vendor :bigthumb: but heres a pic that shows better.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Thanks guys! Yep from what I have heard the 2011 and 2012's have a redesigned Air Box but I don't know what the differences are. When compared, it's easy and obvious to see the differences between my OEM box when compared to the Cervini. Maybe I should post a few pics.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Went a little different route when installing mine.
Wow! That's awesome! BTW where did you get the air intake duct? I wanted a non-stock one for mine but went the easy route and used the one mostly found on the Charger.
I'd like to have some kind of custom engine cover mod myself but mainly for the center to cover and give that dull gray portion some style. I'd prefer a computer designed and cut vinyl one to fit the OEM cover but I haven't seen any.....yet.
Hmm, maybe I should see about acquiring one of those and selling mine and custom orders? :thinkerg:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wow! That's awesome! BTW where did you get the air intake duct? I wanted a non-stock one for mine but went the easy route and used the one mostly found on the Charger.
I'd like to have some kind of custom engine cover mod myself but mainly for the center to cover and give that dull gray portion some style. I'd prefer a computer designed and cut vinyl one to fit the OEM cover but I haven't seen any.....yet.
Hmm, maybe I should see about acquiring one of those and selling mine and custom orders? :thinkerg:
The duct is one I made up ... There is already a company that makes vinyl cut to cover the gray center.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
The duct is one I made up ... There is already a company that makes vinyl cut to cover the gray center.
Hmm, do any company or distributor names come to mind on those precut vinyl inserts?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Almost there...

Thanks for checking. Did you notice if your air box clears the AC lines or does it just barely touch them? ;)

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Almost there...

Here's the pictures and illustrations of the Cervini Air Box I have vs the 2012 OEM one.
Notice the base where the fresh air intake is located on the OEM box it's more of a wedge shape where as the Cervini air box is round.
[/IMG]
Looking at the Mopar catalog illustrations the 2010 model has a round opening to fit the body of the Challenger as does the Cervini air box design but not on the 2012's. The frame has a wedge opening that allows more air flow.
[/IMG]

The OEM box has weather striping around the base to seal the box to the body of the car. You'll see the difference in the shapes of the two where the Cervini box obviously needs to be larger to accommodate the new air filter Ihowever, I still believe there's room to trim it back some to clear the AC line, not too much maybe about a 1/4" or so?
[/IMG]
Here's the slightly blurry shot of the OEM box clearing the AC line
[/IMG]
Here'a a shot of the Cervini's one putting a little pressure on the line.

Other than the AC line worries I wished the Cervini box was correctly fashioned to rest on the body of the car and not leave a significant hole where the OEM box used to be.

Hopefully, we can get this straight pretty soon. The hard work is over the molded hood piece and hood scoop inserts have been in place for over a month now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts