Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently sporting a stock '13 R/T, and when I first heard about this magical cervini kit that turns your fake ram intakes into real intakes, I was immediately interested.
Shortly after consulting CT discussions, It seemed as if the kit would actually hinder engine performance.

With that being said, a considerable amount of people were recommending LMI intakes, specifically the frankentake
and the True Cold Air fender model.

Now I've been browsing for a little bit now, and it looks like practically all CAI's have the potential to make an
engine lose power if lacking an exhaust upgrade and a tune on years '11 and up.:deadhorse:

so whaddaya guys think? should I even bother?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Whip, you are correct on the CAI, it will outflow most aftermarket kits with a aftermarket filter, and it will give you cool air from behind the grill. Save your money that you would waste on a CAI and put it toward a tuner. And your stock mufflers and exhaust are good also. But the resonators that are behind the bumper are restrictive. If you want a nice sounding exhaust that will not brake the bank, have your muffler shop replace them with a pair of manaflow mufflers and get a nice deep performance sound, with no drone.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Am I having dejavu or did you post this exact thread somewhere else?

Cat backs and intakes make little to no power changes on the stock tune however, you may gain a little MPG.

If your looking for the biggest bang for your buck then it will be a custom tune.

If you are looking to build your engine part by part then go the traditional route, intake, exhaust, custom tune.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
For a 2011+ would go Legmaker or nothing at all (stock). I've not seen any other intakes that significantly improvement performance on the new Challengers other than LM.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
For a 2011+ would go Legmaker or nothing at all (stock). I've not seen any other intakes that significantly improvement performance on the new Challengers other than LM.
+1

:icon_razz:

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Whip, you are correct on the CAI, it will outflow most aftermarket kits and it will give you cool air from behind the grill. Save your money that you would waste on a CAI and put it toward a tuner. And your stock mufflers and exhaust are good also. But the resonators that are behind the bumper are restrictive. If you want a nice sounding exhaust that will not brake the bank, have your muffler shop replace them with a pair of manaflow mufflers and get a nice deep performance sound, with no drone.
Stock system will not out flow most aftermarket CAIs unless you put a performance filter in (stock paper filter is more restrictive than performance media). It will however have a cooler IAT than a lot of the aftermarket CAIs once the airflow is flowing . Two totally different attributes. The stock box will pull cool air but it will take longer to cool the IAT than a CAI. So for the instantaneous temp drop and higher flow rate, the aftermarket CAIS are better. For overall coolong of the IAT after air flow has begun, the stock box is pretty good.
This is the just of most of the tests that I have seen posted on CT.
An aftermarket CAI that that has an IAT reading of 6 degrees or less over ambient would be deemed good once your cruising. An aftermarket CAI that has the quickest drop in IAT when you goose it would also be desired. The 6 degree delta at cruise is nice but the instantaneous drop is what prevents timing from being pulled due to detonation so in theroy should give you the best acceleration. Cool air at cruise has no benefit as there is no power demand. Cool air at WOT has lots of benefits.

Reactions: whipplatypus

·
Registered
880 Posts
Stock system will not out flow most aftermarket CAIs unless you put a performance filter in (stock paper filter is more restrictive than performance media). It will however have a cooler IAT than a lot of the aftermarket CAIs once the airflow is flowing . Two totally different attributes. The stock box will pull cool air but it will take longer to cool the IAT than a CAI. So for the instantaneous temp drop and higher flow rate, the aftermarket CAIS are better. For overall coolong of the IAT after air flow has begun, the stock box is pretty good.
This is the just of most of the tests that I have seen posted on CT.
An aftermarket CAI that that has an IAT reading of 6 degrees or less over ambient would be deemed good once your cruising. An aftermarket CAI that has the quickest drop in IAT when you goose it would also be desired. The 6 degree delta at cruise is nice but the instantaneous drop is what prevents timing from being pulled due to detonation so in theroy should give you the best acceleration. Cool air at cruise has no benefit as there is no power demand. Cool air at WOT has lots of benefits.
Like the way u broke it down. If I was to get on LMI True CAI is the intake I'll get

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree with KJ392. What sold it for me in regards to CAI vs stock was one poster had a real time temp reading of the air temp on both setups. Both ran at the exact same temp both at idle and at cruising. The ONLY difference was, as KJ392 says, the CAI cooled down a little faster going from a stop to cruising speed. Is that quicker cooling time worth the cost of a CAI? Your call.

I put in a drop in K&N filter in my stock box and I am leaving it as is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whip, you are correct on the CAI, it will outflow most aftermarket kits and it will give you cool air from behind the grill. Save your money that you would waste on a CAI and put it toward a tuner. And your stock mufflers and exhaust are good also. But the resonators that are behind the bumper are restrictive. If you want a nice sounding exhaust that will not brake the bank, have your muffler shop replace them with a pair of manaflow mufflers and get a nice deep performance sound, with no drone.
Now before even considering a CAI I looked into getting one of those diablosport tuners, and literally the only
problem with that is my powertrain warranty. Even though i suppose it is still possible to reset to factory,
I've also heard they can still clearly tell If you've tampered with it, in which case the warranty is dropped
immediately.

'Spose my next step is to start looking for non warranty mods...like stickers! I heard they add at least 50 hp.:naughty:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Now before even considering a CAI I looked into getting one of those diablosport tuners, and literally the only
problem with that is my powertrain warranty. Even though i suppose it is still possible to reset to factory,
I've also heard they can still clearly tell If you've tampered with it, in which case the warranty is dropped
immediately.

'Spose my next step is to start looking for non warranty mods...like stickers! I heard they add at least 50 hp.:naughty:
They can't. Just revert to stock tune if you go in for service.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I agree with KJ392. What sold it for me in regards to CAI vs stock was one poster had a real time temp reading of the air temp on both setups. Both ran at the exact same temp both at idle and at cruising. The ONLY difference was, as KJ392 says, the CAI cooled down a little faster going from a stop to cruising speed. Is that quicker cooling time worth the cost of a CAI? Your call.

I put in a drop in K&N filter in my stock box and I am leaving it as is.
That is what is what I did with the exception of adding the Charger intake tube to make room for the catch can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts