Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying the Cervini ram air underhood bolt on kit for the stock hood. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My girl bought me the ram air for Christmas this year. It's a pretty sweet setup. The one thing I will tell you is that it's not as simple as just popping it on. To do it right you have to remove the hood. Then you have to drill 24 holes in the underside of it to attach it. I had a body shop do it for me as I was too big of a wuss to attempt it. It was $50 well spent.

I haven't driven it enough yet to speak to any performance increase from it. the few time I have however it seems like it has a bit more zip around the 3000 rpm mark, it could be my imagination though!:weird:

1,931 Posts
If you are doing the ram air for power you would be better off going with a CAI like the LMI True CAI that pulls from the lower front...let the stock hood "scoops" cool the engine compartment..

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I like Cervinis and the stuff they sell, and the ram air kit looks cool when installed, but the vents on the hood aren't big enough to suck in enough air to do much good...whether you're at 3k rpms or going 80 mph. The good thing is that the airbox Cervinis uses pulls air from the fender, so you've got that going for you. Like TNCHARGER says, if you want performance there are other alternatives. If you just want the look of functional hood scoops, Cervinis definitely isn't bad.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would love someone to hookup a scanner to the vehicle before and after and monitor the IAT temp. to see if there is any lower temps.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I would love someone to hookup a scanner to the vehicle before and after and monitor the IAT temp. to see if there is any lower temps.
The intake tube from the box to the TB is not changed with the Cervinis (I believe). I highly doubt there will be any temperature difference as the stock tube is very prone to heat soak. When driving at 60mph the stock box averages 5 degrees above ambient and I dont think adding another inlet from the hood would change that.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I had a Cervini's Ram Air, now have their shaker. I have an Aeroforce scan gauge in my car. My IAT's are typically 20-25 degrees above ambiant, at highway speed, after about 15-20 minutes of driving. Were about the same ,about 15-20 degrees with the Ram Air. I also see other variables, such as how long your car has been at idle and in stop and go traffic. YRMV. I suspect other cold air intakes would probably yield the same results, if they truly provide colder/cooler air.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I had a Cervini's Ram Air, now have their shaker. I have an Aeroforce scan gauge in my car. My IAT's are typically 20-25 degrees above ambiant, at highway speed, after about 15-20 minutes of driving. Were about the same ,about 15-20 degrees with the Ram Air. I also see other variables, such as how long your car has been at idle and in stop and go traffic. YRMV. I suspect other cold air intakes would probably yield the same results, if they truly provide colder/cooler air.
That seems very high IMO. From the tests that I did (below), the highest average temperature difference on the stock box was 14 degrees over ambient and that was in the 100+ Texas heat. This makes it seem like the ram air and shaker actually increase IAT's. I would not state that as a fact, but 25 degrees above ambient at highway speed sounds very high.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/lmi-fender-pull-v2-temp-averages-102139/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts