Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

Just pulled the trigger on a Cervini's shaker for my 392. Just curious how many others out there w/ an aftermarket/fiberglass hood went with hood pins as well. I love the look of the pins, but I'm more curious about thoughts on the pins as a "must-have" safety feature, or if the combination of the factory/oem hood latch and aftermarket (fiberglass) hoods is "good enough".

For reference, daily driver here; not a track car (yet ;-)

Thanks for any thoughts! Dave

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have the MOPAR pins on mine. I didn't buy them for the saftey aspect, althought it is there. I bought them because they fit into the "look" I was going for. My hood closes securely without them and has never popped up on it's own. The hood uses your oem latch hardware.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I thought that it was required................

I think that it is required as per Cervinis I could be wrong but I think they do look proper in all Challengers through!

David

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bluert do you have any pics of your car you could post, I think you have done to your car exactly what I am looking to do to mine. I just want to get an idea of what it will look like thanks!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback on the pins, as well as the pics... Looks great!

I'm guessing one needs to get the hood alignment (hinge and bumpstop alignments) dialed in perfectly prior to pinning the hood. Is there any "wiggle" room once the pins are installed to make any minor hood adjustments?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
585 Posts
thanks for the pics bluert, Your car looks awesome!!! that is exactly the look im going for just trying to save for the shaker!! I recently purchased the louvers and I love them.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
DTAFIL,

I bought the Mopar kit and used the 70-71 Challenger chrome bezel kit from Dale's Cuda shop. Best of both worlds IMO. The stick on Mopar bezels look like cheap plastic. Except for the vinyl and a few stickers, the old-school Challengers had everything screwed or bolted down. The screw on bezels look nice and are def retro. The only issue is drilling into the fiberglass for the screws. You need to press in 8-32 threaded inserts (rivnuts) with a long grip range. The fiberglass thickness in that area is 3/16". The sheet metal screws that come with the Dale's kit are fine for steel or aluminum hoods. They won't work (for long) in fiberglass hoods. It's a little more work than the stick on bezels, but worth the effort. I'll post some DIY pix when I get my shaker hood (on order now for >8 weeks).

Very Best,

Green Man

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I have 2 concerns...

I like the hood pins, but I worry about:

1. Corrosion. Drilling holes in the hood and inserting a metal pin. Do they prep the edge of the hole with paint, or some coating. Is the pins shaft covered with a non metal coating? I dread dissimilar metal contact.

2. Does the wire connector vibrate across the edge of the hood and cause chaffing?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
DTAFIL,

I bought the Mopar kit and used the 70-71 Challenger chrome bezel kit from Dale's Cuda shop. Best of both worlds IMO. The stick on Mopar bezels look like cheap plastic. Except for the vinyl and a few stickers, the old-school Challengers had everything screwed or bolted down. The screw on bezels look nice and are def retro. The only issue is drilling into the fiberglass for the screws. You need to press in 8-32 threaded inserts (rivnuts) with a long grip range. The fiberglass thickness in that area is 3/16". The sheet metal screws that come with the Dale's kit are fine for steel or aluminum hoods. They won't work (for long) in fiberglass hoods. It's a little more work than the stick on bezels, but worth the effort. I'll post some DIY pix when I get my shaker hood (on order now for >8 weeks).

Very Best,

Green Man
No issues in the 4 yrs I've had them on. They are very expensive, though. I recall hood pin sets back in the day selling for about $20.00. These are over $200.00.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I like the hood pins, but I worry about:

1. Corrosion. Drilling holes in the hood and inserting a metal pin. Do they prep the edge of the hole with paint, or some coating. Is the pins shaft covered with a non metal coating? I dread dissimilar metal contact.

2. Does the wire connector vibrate across the edge of the hood and cause chaffing?
1, I would think install wuould be on you or your body shop. The Mopar pins I have came with rubber grommet inserts for the hood.

2. The wire is covered in plastic. No chafing on mine.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Hey BlueRT,

On your 4th picture from the top I see the Mopar bezel. It looks like it is affixed with double-sided tape. My Mopar kit came with stick on Bezels. Other than the bezels being black or chrome and the lanyards black, I didn't think they made the bezels screw on.

I think you thought I was talking about the 1/2" pins themselves being stick-on like some some faux imitation pin. I agree the Mopar pins are real and fully functional. I just prefer a screw-down bezel that looks more retro.

I'd like to know how well the rubber gromets fit in the hood. Mine look a bit thin to work on 3/16" thick fiberglass.

Do you have any different pictures of your pins?

Thanks,

Green Man

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hey BlueRT,

On your 4th picture from the top I see the Mopar bezel. It looks like it is affixed with double-sided tape. My Mopar kit came with stick on Bezels. Other than the bezels being black or chrome and the lanyards black, I didn't think they made the bezels screw on.

I think you thought I was talking about the 1/2" pins themselves being stick-on like some some faux imitation pin. I agree the Mopar pins are real and fully functional. I just prefer a screw-down bezel that looks more retro.

I'd like to know how well the rubber gromets fit in the hood. Mine look a bit thin to work on 3/16" thick fiberglass.

Do you have any different pictures of your pins?

Thanks,

Green Man
Green Man, I have to apologize and state I stand corrected. My scuff plates are NOT screw on and are attached by dual sides sticky tape. I just went out to the garage to confirm. Guess my memory has played tricks on me. I apologize to anyone who I have confused with my prior post. Again my apologies. :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
BlueRT,

No worries, I get those Alzheimer's moments too. :spineyes:

BTW, your RT is very nice. Blue is my second favorite Challenger color. The shaker is the last major exterior mod I have left to do. I'll post the pix.

Green Man

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger
257 Posts
Hey bluert,

Did you paint your shaker scoop or is that the matte one from cervinis?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts