Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been wanting to get this set-up for awhile now and am ready to pull the trigger but since California is getting so strick with it's Smog laws I am not sure this set-up will be able to pass the smog visual test.

Can anyone help with this one? It is a huge investment to make to have all that hassle with the smog people.

Thx for any help you all can give me......

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
What the heck is a Smog Visual test? Never heard of that before, but I don't live in CA.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mike

·
Registered
820 Posts
Wow they can visually determine if something doesn't belong on your car. It sounds like some of the state and local officials need to be voted out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a couple of parts to the Smog Testing in California. Anything different in apperance from the "stock" set-up can be grounds for not passing. If the mods have the CARB EO# thats ok, and all the non-stock parts that affect the engines performance/smog output must be certified.

I can't find anything on the "Shaker" set-up since it does affect the stock air box and didn't get any input from Cervivi's.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Did you try calling them ? They were pretty helpful when I bought my ramair setup from them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow they can visually determine if something doesn't belong on your car. It sounds like some of the state and local officials need to be voted out.

It's not too surprising, Even here in Milwuakee WI, a few years ago, I had a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, which still had the hood scoop and vents from the factory. The tester immediately asked me to pop my hood. Well, I had a shortram intake, 50-state legal (even had the little carb exempt sticker right on it.) He told me I didn't pass and that I'd have to remove it before he even tested me. I told him "what if I passed the sniffer?" He said he didn't care, he'd still fail me. I asked him if we were the 51st state, becuase it was 50-state legal. He said Yes.

Took the thing off, put on the stock went back and got a different tester. He didn't even ask to pop the hood, just hooked up the computer and that was that.

But CA? yeah, 10 times worse.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow, move to Oklahoma... No inspections...

·
Registered
757 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes sir that emissions stuff is just a way to generate revenue for the state.I live on the eastern shore of Maryland and "NO" emission stuff here at all,and I am putting the Cervini Shaker on mine in the spring.I wish you all the luck with yours.You can always move out of Cali.:(
1BADHEMI

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....here in CA we have emissions testing on vehicles every other year. On new vehicles, I believe it's 5-6 years before you need to worry about having it "smogged". There is a visual inspection by the tech who is looking for missing/"tampered with" emissions equipment and/or modifications that are not CARB certified.

OP, the shaker plumbing itself should be fine but it's the modified airbox that you might have a problem with. However, if it is CARB certified (and has a CARB sticker/plate), then there should be no problem.

....I agree the emissions testing is asinine but at least we don't have yearly vehicle inspections like some states. ....although that could change as well.

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's not too surprising, Even here in Milwuakee WI, a few years ago, I had a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, which still had the hood scoop and vents from the factory. The tester immediately asked me to pop my hood. Well, I had a shortram intake, 50-state legal (even had the little carb exempt sticker right on it.) He told me I didn't pass and that I'd have to remove it before he even tested me. I told him "what if I passed the sniffer?" He said he didn't care, he'd still fail me. I asked him if we were the 51st state, becuase it was 50-state legal. He said Yes.

Took the thing off, put on the stock went back and got a different tester. He didn't even ask to pop the hood, just hooked up the computer and that was that.

I was born and raised in Kenosha WI, Joined the Navy,did my 20, and retired here in southern Commifornia. They don't call it the land of Fruits and Nuts for nothing... The only thing keeping me here is my wife and our jobs, otherwise I'd be in AZ where I could enjoy my car, my bike, and my guns.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

....I found this kinda funny since that CARB (California Air Resources Board) certification would have meant that part would be legal here in CA.

There are a lot of things I disagree with in this state (being a native, I've seen it go down hill year after year), but truth be told, there are other states/cities that have just as (or more) restrictive/ridiculous laws, taxes, etc.

·
Registered
334 Posts
....I found this kinda funny since that CARB (California Air Resources Board) certification would have meant that part would be legal here in CA.

There are a lot of things I disagree with in this state (being a native, I've seen it go down hill year after year), but truth be told, there are other states/cities that have just as (or more) restrictive/ridiculous laws, taxes, etc.
Like what....?

Every state with stupid emissions laws uses California as a standard bearer in their testing criteria.

In California...

1. You can't smoke cigarettes in public, not even in your front yard. (unless its Marajuana)
2. It is a Class 1 Misdemeanor to smoke within 10 feet of a child.
3. They do not check any kind of ID when allowing people to vote.
4. You need to be jesus to even legally own a firearm
5. There is a custom's checkpoint at every border crossing entering the state, checking for contraband agricultural items.
6. 55 MPH speed limit on empty straight desert roads.
7. If you make a desert tortoise piss itself it is a $100,000 fine. We cannot even conduct decent Military drills at Fort Irwin because of this.
8. Each individual county tries to pass a different vehicle code. ( If you drive a stock SRT-4 or Viper in Riverside you will get a ticket for not having a muffler)
9. In San Francisco the city council has banned toys in happy meals unless the meal is low in fat.
10 The city of San Francisco has issued the homeless credit card readers so they can accept donations via debit or credit
11. The City council of Berkley banned military recruiting stations with their limits, yet have declared Julian Assaunge a hero.

and much much more......

The only one that come close is New York, they think Cali is a role model.

Now tell me what the State Of Texas has done in the las few months that even comes close.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Like what....?

Every state with stupid emissions laws uses California as a standard bearer in their testing criteria.

In California...

1. You can't smoke cigarettes in public, not even in your front yard. (unless its Marajuana)
2. It is a Class 1 Misdemeanor to smoke within 10 feet of a child.
3. They do not check any kind of ID when allowing people to vote.
4. You need to be jesus to even legally own a firearm
5. There is a custom's checkpoint at every border crossing entering the state, checking for contraband agricultural items.
6. 55 MPH speed limit on empty straight desert roads.
7. If you make a desert tortoise piss itself it is a $100,000 fine. We cannot even conduct decent Military drills at Fort Irwin because of this.
8. Each individual county tries to pass a different vehicle code. ( If you drive a stock SRT-4 or Viper in Riverside you will get a ticket for not having a muffler)
9. In San Francisco the city council has banned toys in happy meals unless the meal is low in fat.
10 The city of San Francisco has issued the homeless credit card readers so they can accept donations via debit or credit
11. The City council of Berkley banned military recruiting stations with their limits, yet have declared Julian Assaunge a hero.

and much much more......

The only one that come close is New York, they think Cali is a role model.

Now tell me what the State Of Texas has done in the las few months that even comes close.
Again, I agree there are some really asinine laws/legislation in this state as I said before. However, just to clarify.....

1) Yes, you can smoke in your own front yard and generally in public. However, this is changing and you are limited in some areas/situations (bars, restraunts, piers/some portions of the beach, etc.).

2) I have no idea about that. I don't smoke.

3) Yeah, they do need to get better control of this.

4) While special interest groups, politicians, etc. are always looking for ways to take away our rights here, aside from possibly some select cities you're still able to buy, own and use firearms. We have several indoor and outdoor firing ranges in my area and a lot of BLM land (desert) I like to go to myself.

5) California is a huge agricultural state. These check points are to try to avoid introducing crop-damaging insects. Whether this actually works or not, I have no idea. I do know that the many times I have passed on of these they only ask me if I have any fruit in the car, I say "no" and they just wave me through.

6) Actually, those long stretches of desert road are where the posted speed limit is usually at it highest in the state (75 mph). Most other freeways are either 65 or 70. ....although trucks with trailers are limited to 55 mph on all highways IIRC. My commute is on freeways with both 65 and 70 MPH posted limits.

8) I live in Riverside county. Never had a problem getting hassled for aftermarket exhaust on my cars anywhere in So. CA but I know there are some that do. ....but there are also some that drive like asshats and bring it on themselves or have systems that exceed the allowed dB level in the CVC. The stock exhaust on either of those cars is hardly enough to grab the attention of a cop unless they are just being jerks. I'm not aware of any county law in Riverside that supersedes the CVC though. ....I think it's 90 dB.

9 & 10 & 11) What can I say. San Fran, Berkley.... I personally would never want to live there.

Some of your examples are true in some individual cases but some of your other points are either wrong or painted with a broad brush. However, with all of the special interests groups and individuals looking to continue driving this state into the ground, I'll agree that there are plenty of things to ***** about.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Again, I agree there are some really asinine laws/legislation in this state as I said before. However, just to clarify.....

1) Yes, you can smoke in your own front yard and generally in public. However, this is changing and you are limited in some areas/situations (bars, restraunts, piers/some portions of the beach, etc.).

Fined in Santa Barbara on family property
2) I have no idea about that. I don't smoke.

3) Yeah, they do need to get better control of this.

4) While special interest groups, politicians, etc. are always looking for ways to take away our rights here, aside from possibly some select cities you're still able to buy, own and use firearms. We have several indoor and outdoor firing ranges in my area and a lot of BLM land (desert) I like to go to myself.
Too many pain in the ass rules to exercise a right outlined in the Bill of Rights. (LA still has huge crime, even with restrictive laws.)

5) California is a huge agricultural state. These check points are to try to avoid introducing crop-damaging insects. Whether this actually works or not, I have no idea. I do know that the many times I have passed on of these they only ask me if I have any fruit in the car, I say "no" and they just wave me through.
It is very creepy to go through a checkpoint while entering a State. Nebraska is an even bigger agricultural state, no checkpoints.
) Actually, those long stretches of desert road are where the posted speed limit is usually at it highest in the state (75 mph). Most other freeways are either 65 or 70. ....although trucks with trailers are limited to 55 mph on all highways IIRC. My commute is on freeways with both 65 and 70 MPH posted limits.
On my way to Vegas there was not single desert road posted at 75mph.

8) I live in Riverside county. Never had a problem getting hassled for aftermarket exhaust on my cars anywhere in So. CA but I know there are some that do. ....but there are also some that drive like asshats and bring it on themselves or have systems that exceed the allowed dB level in the CVC. The stock exhaust on either of those cars is hardly enough to grab the attention of a cop unless they are just being jerks. I'm not aware of any county law in Riverside that supersedes the CVC though. ....I think it's 90 dB.

It is posted at 94 db (SEMA plan) However the County commission in Riverside has added an amendmum regarding (unusual noise) and leaves it up to officer discretion. I was fined in a stock SRT-4 for not having a muffler in Blythe. SRT-4's have no muffler.

9 & 10 & 11) What can I say. San Fran, Berkley.... I personally would never want to live there.

These local governemnts are out of control and the state needs to grow a set of balls and smack the **** out of them.

Some of your examples are true in some individual cases but some of your other points are either wrong or painted with a broad brush. However, with all of the special interests groups and individuals looking to continue driving this state into the ground, I'll agree that there are plenty of things to ***** about.
The whole country laughs at California because of the dumbass rules and retarded people. I left as fast as I could...shame, because the state is beautiful.

The morons reelected Jerry Brown...he f%^ked up the state last time. Watch...in a few weeks he will be begging for money because of a State bankruptcy.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The whole country laughs at California because of the dumbass rules and retarded people. I left as fast as I could...shame, because the state is beautiful.

The morons reelected Jerry Brown...he f%^ked up the state last time. Watch...in a few weeks he will be begging for money because of a State bankruptcy.
....folks either have a short memory or are simply too young to know/remember him in office. It's certainly going to be a wake up call for them.

btw, not that it really matters, but regarding California's ranking in agriculture in the U.S.:
(ERS/USDA - About ERS - Frequently Asked Questions)

As for the 75mph limits, my mistake. I don't know why I thinking 75. Most highways are 65 here but there are ones that are 70. ....including the desert stretches you and I were talking about (I15, I215, I40, I8, I10, etc.). The major interstates haven't been 55 mph for quite some time (thankfully).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not to hijack here but if you are really interested in the shaker, why not purchase a used air box to modify for the shaker setup. Enjoy the heck out of it for 23 1/2 months, get a buddy to come over for beverage and in a few hours swap the hood and everything back to stock. Have the emissions tested. head home reinstall the cervini's. Enjoy for another 23 1/2 months. If they only do a emissions test, you probably won't need to attach the washers, or hood struts. If those were the rules here, that is what I would do as I feel the little work once/twice every 2 years would be worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts