Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever race a Caddy CTS V on road course? I will be going to willow springs on 1-8-11 to run my chally srt. My son inlaw will have his 06 CTS V there. On paper they are close. This is the non SC one with 400 hp ans 6spd. The biggest thing I see is its only 3850lbs. By the way there is still lots of room on that date and it only 120.00 for the whole day!!!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
unless you both have experience, I dont think there is enough of a difference in the cars to be huge. it will come down to the drivers.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i think the caddy will eat you for lunch.. those cars really get off the line well and it might be hard to overcome... the weight and wheelbase may also be an advantage.. but you might have the brakes and balls advantage on him.. Just put the esp in :
"rescue" and let her rip.. use the gazillion ftlbs of torque out of the curves.. in car vids would be great

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Great question. I traded an '07 CTS-V for my SRT8 Challenger.

The V was a fast car, was significantly lighter, had Brembo's and on a rolling start would take a stock SRT8 up to felony speeds. That assuming you could work the shifter well enough-- it's easily one of the worst OEM six speed shifters on the market. Very slushy.

Downsides to the V include really crappy suspension, especially in the rear, especially off the line. They'd hop so bad you'd swear something was going to come off the car. This regardless of tires or pavement. Really tricky to launch hard.

While lighter with initial turn-in on a road course, the V body has a lot more roll, dive and lift than an SRT. Fairly easy win to the SRT on a road course. You have to stay ahead of the weight transition with a lot more attention in the SRT8, and they take four or five sessions before you can use up all the Brembo's have to offer, but I've run down many a Porsche with my SRT.

You can pull a full g on the turns and on brakes with an SRT, see below.

Hope this is helpful. Advantage to the SRT with equal drivers on a fairly technical course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I belive my son inlaw will over drive the Caddy and im hoping that will be the differance, The Caddy also has 120k miles one her and im looking at only 4500 on my SRT. It should be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be the best tire preasure? Do I need to change the brake fluid? I here its only DOT 3 is that true?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I run full tire pressure the first couple sessions because you'll get an earlier warning as the car moves toward the edge of its performance envelope. Unless you have a lot of track time, most drivers get the tires to break away much sooner than they should. Lack of smoothness, missed braking zones and etc will put you behind the car and you'll be all over the place.

If you're running five sessions, reduce tire pressure about 4 pounds for the third session. By then you'll also be braking much later; my suggestion is ease up to the maximum breaking points in the first couple sessions. If you brake too late, or trail brake, the back end will come around fairly easily and then you'll spend the next two corners getting the car back up to speed.

One more tip- leave the ESP on full. After you get a feel for the car, you'll be able to roll into the turns, and then crush the throttle to the floor at the apex. You can't do this so much on sweepers, but you can on full brake corners. Be methodical about working up to this however, it takes a clean line and the right corner entrance setup to take advantage of this.

Really glad to hear you're taking your SRT to a road course. Most people come away from that experience with a whole new level of appreciation for what has gone into the car. It's really an exceptional machine and you'll see performance facets not available on the street.

Keep us posted and let us know how this works out for you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If im reading you right you said to leave the ESP on full. I thought its eather on or off? Thanks for the imput im looking forward to this it will be like the SRT driving experance but better.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
ig gave you some great advice...he knows what he's doing. You can take the boy/Cadi in the SRT, just don't over drive the car. I would replace the fluid with a DOT 4 and if not, bleed your breaks before hand for sure to ensure you're getting the most out of the system. There's a good quick and dirty how to on the LX by Matt Robertson if you want some instructions/pics. I purchased a power bleeder that makes life a bit easier.

Make sure you've beeded your brakes properly? It's quite simple if you can find some open road and it makes a big difference.

HemiSam

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you have F1's, I'd start with them at 38-40 psi cold. Check how much of the tire width you're using after your first session and adjust accordingly. For brake fluid, definitely swap out the stock stuff for something like Motul RBF600. Have a great time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts