Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Both awesome cars, love that indigo blue on the Charger. Here is my perspective: I have a 2017 redline T/A 392 and my wife has a 2017 green go Daytona 5.7. I know it isn't a direct comparison as she doesn't have the 392 but I drive the heck out of both cars.

T/A 392:
- Love the power this motor makes, this is my second 392 and the T/A is a great way to get it
- Disappointed with the exhaust note, seems too quiet
- Love the look of the black hood, black wheels, black top and trunk
- Dislike the extra care required for the painted matte hood. I knew this going into it, plan on getting it covered with expel stealth, this hood chips easy
- Love the intake headlights and hood, light up T/A aircatcher headlamps on both sides just looks cool
- Wasn't a fan of the T/A side stripes, I removed them

Daytona 5.7:
- The exhaust sounds awesome, i know this might not be the same for the 392 version but the 5.7 in this car sounds way better than my T/A 392
- Don't like the front buckets, they feel small to me, the seats in the chally are way more comfortable
- Not a fan of the HEMI decal on the hood, easily removable however
- I actually like the way this car handles better than the T/A, it feels more planted around sharp corners, perhaps better weight distribution front to back?
- Disappointed with where some of the idiot lights are positioned in the gauge cluster. I know this is super nit-picky but for instance the high beams indicator sits right behind the tach needle at 2K RPM, poor positioning on FCA's part.
- Dislike the capless fuel tank, after a fill up, you can smell a hint of gas odor in our garage, I would prefer to have a cap.
- the extra space is great! huge trunk, adults can set in back seat fairly comfortably

If I were to choose today I actually would take the 392 Charger over my 392 Challenger... I know... Treason...

Reactions: ChallengerR/TFan

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I'm having a tough time deciding between purchasing an 2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 or Dodge Challenger 392 T/A...
Do you usually have more than 2 other passengers? Get the Charger.

If not, Challenger.

Easy peasy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both awesome cars, love that indigo blue on the Charger. Here is my perspective: I have a 2017 redline T/A 392 and my wife has a 2017 green go Daytona 5.7. I know it isn't a direct comparison as she doesn't have the 392 but I drive the heck out of both cars.

T/A 392:
- Love the power this motor makes, this is my second 392 and the T/A is a great way to get it
- Dislike the extra care required for the painted matte hood. I knew this going into it, plan on getting it covered with expel stealth, this hood chips easy
- Love the intake headlights and hood, light up T/A aircatcher headlamps on both sides just looks cool

Daytona 5.7:
- The exhaust sounds awesome, i know this might not be the same for the 392 version but the 5.7 in this car sounds way better than my T/A 392
- Don't like the front buckets, they feel small to me, the seats in the chally are way more comfortable
- I actually like the way this car handles better than the T/A, it feels more planted around sharp corners, perhaps better weight distribution front to back?
- Disappointed with where some of the idiot lights are positioned in the gauge cluster. I know this is super nit-picky but for instance the high beams indicator sits right behind the tach needle at 2K RPM, poor positioning on FCA's part.
- Dislike the capless fuel tank, after a fill up, you can smell a hint of gas odor in our garage, I would prefer to have a cap.
- the extra space is great! huge trunk, adults can set in back seat fairly comfortably

If I were to choose today I actually would take the 392 Charger over my 392 Challenger... I know... Treason...

Thanks for your reply definitely helped me out big time. Yea I had an issue with the T/A seats also as they are small and couldn't get comfortable in them. I guess I need to take a back to back test drive between the 2. That's whats getting me is the space I have 2 young children 5 and 2 yrs old. But the T/A is roomy until I lean the seat to start driving but my kids are young.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
IMHO the T/A and Daytona packages add nothing but cost to the car. Stick with the Scat Pack, you won't have the pesky Matte finishes to take care of on the Challenger, and on the Charger, the big HEMI on the hood looks odd. You can also add the Dynamics package to a Scat Pack, get the bigger brakes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO the T/A and Daytona packages add nothing but cost to the car. Stick with the Scat Pack, you won't have the pesky Matte finishes to take care of on the Challenger, and on the Charger, the big HEMI on the hood looks odd. You can also add the Dynamics package to a Scat Pack, get the bigger brakes.
The Scat Pack are nice but everyone has an Scat Pack. I want something that is rarely seen meaning T/A n Daytona.

·
Registered
476 Posts

T/A 392:

Daytona 5.7:

Dang, that's intriguing! Is the 5.7 just louder or does it just sound better?! Wonder if we can figure out what the difference is!

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
If I was choosing due to being a young parent again, I’d buy a Cherokee or Wrangler JKU or a nice Ram pickup and skip the cars like I did years ago. The Challenger is an amazingly comfortable car but the constant moving of the passenger would get old fast and I just can’t ever like the charger. If the Challenger came out first the chargers wouldn’t exist.
This is just my opinion, enjoy those kids, it’s a great time in your life, it feels like mine were just those ages and now both are out of college, time flew by and would trade my car in an instant to do it all over again. Yes, I got old in the process and now cruise around by myself while they are off on their own, but cherish all the time watching them grow.
I sacrificed many things and in the end the car is just a car.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Here is my reasoning on why NOT to get a Charger.
1. Too many doors.
2. Chargers don't get a first look, much less a second. No matter how they are set up.
3. Still waiting to see one come across the floor on Barrett Jackson. Practically non-existent.

Then again I am biased for Challengers.

If you do buy a Charger....every time you park it and get out and give it the look back as you walk away....you're gonna be thinking, Damn! I should've got the Challenger!:crying:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1. Too many doors.
2. Chargers don't get a first look, much less a second. No matter how they are set up.
3. Still waiting to see one come across the floor on Barrett Jackson. Practically non-existent.

Then again I am biased for Challengers.

If you do buy a Charger....every time you park it and get out and give it the look back as you walk away....you're gonna be thinking, Damn! I should've got the Challenger!
I know that's the funny thing I have that in my head now and I haven't even purchased the car yet. That Challenger is nice tho very throwback looking. Looks muscular. Ahhhhhhh so damn hard to choose. Somebody said look at the JEEPS. Trust me I'm looking at the Jeep also but they want so much damn money for a 2015-2017 JGC SRT . Its like I might aswell get an 2018 Chally or Charger with 0 miles on them.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Bottom line, what's YOUR needs..................a two door or a four door. After that, it's just the trim packages.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Dang, that's intriguing! Is the 5.7 just louder or does it just sound better?! Wonder if we can figure out what the difference is!
Its probably a matter of the cam timing / duration + whatever specific tuning of the 5.7 AES (mufflers / resonators) that all contribute to how the '17+ 5.7 AES sounds compared to the 392 AES...

AES = Active Exhaust System

·
Registered
101 Posts
Those two colors are the same exact ones I'm trying to decide between. In April I'll be picking a 392 daytona but I am torn between the octane red and indigo. I think the chargers look good with the refresh, hence why I'll be picking one up soon. The challenger has a slight advantage in looks, why do you think I bought that one first.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those two colors are the same exact ones I'm trying to decide between. In April I'll be picking a 392 daytona but I am torn between the octane red and indigo. I think the chargers look good with the refresh, hence why I'll be picking one up soon. The challenger has a slight advantage in looks, why do you think I bought that one first.
Yeah those 2 colors are tough to decide whether it be a Challenger or Charger...
What's making you leave the Challenger for an 392 Daytona?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,735 Posts
Octane Red is awesome!

A Guy

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
1. Too many doors.
4. Only comes with an automatic trans.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The Challenger is cooler than the Charger ALL DAY LONG! If you have to get a Charger for lifestyle considerations, that's understandable, but I have 2 kids and make the Challenger work because I just had to have one ;)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts