Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
take this with a grain of salt of course, but this is from allpar.com:

“As of yesterday (Feb. 9), Challenger was given a “go” by management. Model year unknown. 6.1 liter Hemi and 6-speed manual transmission only.” — “Der Spien,” a former engineer with DCX.​

awesomeness, if true. except, how do they expect to compete with the v6 mustang which are all autos, correct? hopefully just the bigger engines have the manual only.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is also from allpar.com:

"One possibility is that the first-year run will be, as many are saying, limited to 10,000 - 15,000 units, all with the 6.1 liter SRT-8 engine; this might be called Challenger SRT-8, though most enthusiasts would prefer the original R/T designation. If the Challenger sold well, and there appeared to be strong demand, and production was flawless - or rapidly fixed - so that the Challenger, Charger, and 300C were all running nicely on the same assembly line, then the second year could see a "base" model with the 5.7 Hemi, whose cylinder deactivation would increase gas mileage; and perhaps a V6 would eventually be seen. "

that would explain why it would be the 6.1 w/ 6-speed only. man, i really hope they do the v6 to really boost sales, however i will buy the 6.1 manual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hope they do not make this a limited production!!!:mad: If that is the ONLY Engine/Tranny Combo they produce, It will Never Do for DCX like the Mustang has done for Ford, Plus it will cost about a Bazillion Dollars! I hope this is limited, preliminary info and they will announce a Bigger more Inclusive production for the Challenger. Come On DCX / Dodge! Get it right, for yourselves, and your Buyers!!

Smokn~:cool:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Even though I would want the SRT 6.1 Hemi 6-speed, I truly think it would be a colossal mistake if that's all they offered, even in the beginning. The Challenger HAS to be a competitive car if it is going to be any sort of success - and offering ONLY the hottest model is going to put it out of reach of alot of perspective buyers. They HAVE to offer a bread and butter V6 model, THAT'S where their biggest sales are going to be - one need only look at the Mustang sales formula to see why.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the Challenger come out as badly as any of you, but I'm telling you - if DCX only offers a limited run of only 10,000 or so and they're ALL the SRT 6.1 Hemi 6-speeds they're gonna end up royally shooting this car in the foot in the long run. I think it's a big mistake - plus think of how much this car will cost if this is all they do.

Don't do it this way, DCX. Don't do it this way!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yankee said:
Even though I would want the SRT 6.1 Hemi 6-speed, I truly think it would be a colossal mistake if that's all they offered, even in the beginning. The Challenger HAS to be a competitive car if it is going to be any sort of success - and offering ONLY the hottest model is going to put it out of reach of alot of perspective buyers. They HAVE to offer a bread and butter V6 model, THAT'S where their biggest sales are going to be - one need only look at the Mustang sales formula to see why.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the Challenger come out as badly as any of you, but I'm telling you - if DCX only offers a limited run of only 10,000 or so and they're ALL the SRT 6.1 Hemi 6-speeds they're gonna end up royally shooting this car in the foot in the long run. I think it's a big mistake - plus think of how much this car will cost if this is all they do.

Don't do it this way, DCX. Don't do it this way!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
i agree with you 100%. i'll bet you the damn beancounters are putting ideas in the heads of management. why cant they just see how the mustang does, like you said?

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I do agree that there needs to be a base model V6, a 5.7L HEMI, and (at least) 6.1L HEMI. I wouldn't mind if the initial year was a limited productin run with a 6.4L HEMI and at the end of the year they were to switch over to the base model with the power options.:rolleyes: I do understand that this would be a little bit aggravating to the people that want it for "just a car" but those of us that absolutely can't live without it mostly want all the power we can get to come with it from the factory.

$.02

·
Registered
250 Posts
damnit.. if they do that, the vast majority of the people that want the car won't be able to AFFORD it, myself included, I don't want to pay a dealer markup just because it's "RARE"

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damnit.. if they do that, the vast majority of the people that want the car won't be able to AFFORD it, myself included, I don't want to pay a dealer markup just because it's "RARE"
i think all we can do is keep emailing dodge, and tell them this exactly. i know i will have a real hard time affording one if this is the case too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Add my voice to the chorus. Just offering it as a limited production car is a colossal mistake. The majority of people who indicated they would buy it won't be able to afford it. Come on DCX do the right thing: v6, 5.7L, 6.1L and 6.4L!!!!!!!!! non-limited production!

<edit>
I think we're seeing allpar's predictions regarding limited first year run coming true. Hopefully DCX will open the floodgates in year two once they've ironed the kinks out of the system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A guess they wanted a replacement for the Viper and they got one price and all. I couldn't afford a Viper and if this is true I probably won't be able to afford a Challenger.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I for one would prefer an auto. Don't flame me for voicing my opinion...:eek:

I can drive a stick fine, but I drive in Dallas rush hour traffic and a stick would be tiresome to use all the time. I plan on keeping my old car for a foul weather driver but would really like an auto option. (Dodge listening?) I voted accordingly on the extended poll as well

So much so, I am not sure I would line up to drop my money down on the early model... :confused:

Oh well, we will see.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hemidakota Posted this on SRTforums.com:

VEHICLE NAME: CHALLENGER
(300-Charger-Magnum will be switching to this new platform in 2010 or sooner)

PLATFORM CODE: LY

DERIVATIVE VEHICLE?: LT

ENGINE CODE:
  • EER 2.7L V6 DOHC 24 VALVE MPI (export)
  • EFB 3.0L V6 Base
  • EXL 3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL (export)
  • EGG 3.5L V6 HIGH OUTPUT 24V MPI
  • EYB 4.0L V6 BASE (Phoenix)
  • EZB 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS
  • EZD 5.7L V8 HEMI VVT MDS
  • ESF 6.1L V8 SMPI

·
Registered
65 Posts
The damn beancounters stike again. DCX sounds uncertian that the new Challenger will really sell. I wish DCX would show again the high confidence that they had when they introduced the Chrysler 300. If you want a stick and you got the cash, go to your dealer and order one when its finally avaiable.

I think the demand from dealers for the new Challenger will be so stong they will have to into full production for the second year.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Guys, what we have to take into account here is this. DCX is probably pushing to bring this car to market a lot sooner than they originally predicted due to the overwhelming response to the show car. In doing so, it's going to be all they can do to get it out in limited numbers the first year, and to make things easier for themselves at first, are just offering what will be the hottest seller. Have faith my friends...I'm sure they won't miss out on dropping the 5.7 HEMI in it and a V-6 as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I hope it comes out AS IS.. leave in the telemetry, leave in the butterfly valves, leave the interior.. umm.. as for the carbon fiber body, that 'ish is expensive.. go ahead and change that dcx ;

·
Registered
65 Posts
Big Country said:
Guys, what we have to take into account here is this. DCX is probably pushing to bring this car to market a lot sooner than they originally predicted due to the overwhelming response to the show car. In doing so, it's going to be all they can do to get it out in limited numbers the first year, and to make things easier for themselves at first, are just offering what will be the hottest seller. Have faith my friends...I'm sure they won't miss out on dropping the 5.7 HEMI in it and a V-6 as well.
I dont want to see a rushed-out vehicle with quality control problems and recalls. It may be good to have a short run so they can iron out any production problems before they go full production. Still I'm disapointed there wasnt any other engine/transmission choices for the first run.

But like the Prowler and the Viper the inital "buzz" of the Challenger may wear off quickly when thousands of middle-class Mopar fans get the feeling they cant afford the initial 6.1-stick version of this car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was stoked before and now i am sad. I live in NYC and the traffic we have makes a 6 speed not an option. I voted for the Auto with the 6.1L engine.
If the car is made in limitied numbers and only 6 speed DCX will not be getting my money. With a 10-15k production run the car will cost alot remember the Prowler. And i can see $10,000-$30,000 Sticker Ajustements at the Dealer so i would have to pass.
I will just go out and buy a Vette at that price point.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts