Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2841 - 2860 of 2862 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Hey G...what are you going to do with your Us Mag 5 spoke deep dish [email protected]#...im interested...vf
Sorry, I missed your post. I am keeping those. The new wheels are for the road course and the special rubber needed ;)

The US Mags are the jewels it runs the streets with. Going to get that sucker out with those booted on this weekend and take it for a long drive! First time out in the wild in five months.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The fronts are Pilot SS the rears are 4S.
I'm told I spend way too much time deciding which tire to buy, but these things are expensive, and I don't like wasting money.

I put 4S on the Challenger (a car I inherited from my dad), & put Pilot SS on a Z4 E89 I own. I don't take the Challenger to the track, but on a couple of occasions have taken the Z4 to Donington Park Circuit in Leicestershire. For me I didn't see much point in having the CUP tires, as for the most part, I wouldn't be getting them hot enough. My choice of tyres (let's try the British spelling this time) was mostly based on videos like the ones below, and other videos from this channel comparing back-to-back with other manufacturers:

Wet & Dry Handling. Sport 4 vs 4S vs Cup2 (admittedly in a Focus ST, but it gives a good overview)

Can you use track semi slicks tyres on a normal car? Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs Pilot Sport 4 S

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I'm told I spend way too much time deciding which tire to buy, but these things are expensive, and I don't like wasting money.

I put 4S on the Challenger (a car I inherited from my dad), & put Pilot SS on a Z4 E89 I own. I don't take the Challenger to the track, but on a couple of occasions have taken the Z4 to Donington Park Circuit in Leicestershire. For me I didn't see much point in having the CUP tires, as for the most part, I wouldn't be getting them hot enough. My choice of tyres (let's try the British spelling this time) was mostly based on videos like the ones below, and other videos from this channel comparing back-to-back with other manufacturers:

Wet & Dry Handling. Sport 4 vs 4S vs Cup2 (admittedly in a Focus ST, but it gives a good overview)

Can you use track semi slicks tyres on a normal car? Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs Pilot Sport 4 S
Those fronts are only different from the rears until they wear out, then it will be 4S all around. The 305/35 was simply not available when the time was up. For my street use, they are fine, it will never need more front rubber, unless a guy got real illegal with his moves on the street. I can tell you I have used 285/35 4S's on a regular body Hellcat with the 9.5" wheels on the track. They do amazingly well, and are well wearing. If someone wanted a good street and occasional track run, don't over think it. Spend the money and enjoy, its worth it.

I have a complete set of wheels and Cup 2's for track use, thanks for the videos!
I would never try Cup 2's on a wet track, that is why I carry a rain day set of wheels/tires along also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good advice!

I'm not sure why Michelin limits some of their tyre sizes. Unless they are forcing some of there customers to use a specific tyre spec (profit?). Or perhaps it just takes time & money to tool up to make a full range of tyre sizes?

I also own an MR2 turbo (SW20), with larger wheels/tyres than standard. And let's say I've gotten illegal with it on the road. A 4 wheel drift around a roundabout during one quiet early Sunday morning drive tends to attract the wrong type of attention. Especially when being followed by an unmarked black BMW 330 police car for 6 miles -- at times at speeds in 3 figures. When he eventually pulled me over he said, "your car pick up well for a 30 year old car". I didn't have the heart to tell him that I just didn't bother slowing down for the bends as much as he did. Amazingly he let me off with an "on the spot fine", and said he won't mention on the ticket how fast I was going. Otherwise I would have ended up in court facing a 1 month ban. Perhaps he was bored, & just out for some fun himself? I tend to be a bit more observant these days. The so-called snap oversteer on these cars isn't as bad as the early reports make out.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Good advice!

I'm not sure why Michelin limits some of their tyre sizes. Unless they are forcing some of there customers to use a specific tyre spec (profit?). Or perhaps it just takes time & money to tool up to make a full range of tyre sizes?

I also own an MR2 turbo (SW20), with larger wheels/tyres than standard. And let's say I've gotten illegal with it on the road. A 4 wheel drift around a roundabout during one quiet early Sunday morning drive tends to attract the wrong type of attention. Especially when being followed by an unmarked black BMW 330 police car for 6 miles -- at times at speeds in 3 figures. When he eventually pulled me over he said, "your car pick up well for a 30 year old car". I didn't have the heart to tell him that I just didn't bother slowing down for the bends as much as he did. Amazingly he let me off with an "on the spot fine", and said he won't mention on the ticket how fast I was going. Otherwise I would have ended up in court facing a 1 month ban. Perhaps he was bored, & just out for some fun himself? I tend to be a bit more observant these days. The so-called snap oversteer on these cars isn't as bad as the early reports make out.
That was a bad trick. Where oh where does that sort of an unmarked exist?
I am going to a much shorter track in a few weeks, at the end of the two day fun, I may have to try some sideways tricks (with their permission of course). I have a set of non-Michelin tires that could use some wear that I have mounted on the OE rims. I want to put the new Pirelli tires back on them I took off last year and re-evaluate them. IF the PZeros PZ4's are any good, they do make all sizes that would be interesting to try.

I don't know why Michelin does not make all sizes, probably of course for the lack of original equipment. I know I had to check a special box at Discount Tire Direct that the 325's were for a Ford GT! Strange, huh?

Keep that old clunker between the curbs!

·
Registered
75 Posts
That was a bad trick. Where oh where does that sort of an unmarked exist?
I am going to a much shorter track in a few weeks, at the end of the two day fun, I may have to try some sideways tricks (with their permission of course). I have a set of non-Michelin tires that could use some wear that I have mounted on the OE rims. I want to put the new Pirelli tires back on them I took off last year and re-evaluate them. IF the PZeros PZ4's are any good, they do make all sizes that would be interesting to try.

I don't know why Michelin does not make all sizes, probably of course for the lack of original equipment. I know I had to check a special box at Discount Tire Direct that the 325's were for a Ford GT! Strange, huh?

Keep that old clunker between the curbs!
These unmarked cars are all over the place -- clearly I should have known better! I was in the county of Cheshire at the time, near a place called Nantwich. I was driving east along the A500 Google Maps then southwest along the A531.

Clip of a BMW pulling over a what looks like a VW? Jump to 1:00. Usually thair blue lights are hidden within their existing lights. The police seem to favor German cars these days. Including Audi & Mercedes. Some police forces have been known to deliberately use beat up older cars to attracted even less attention.

Mercedes:

Unmarked police cars of the "Flying Squad". Affectionately known as "The Sweeney". Rhyming slang for "Sweeney Todd The Flying Squad". Also sometimes referred to as The Heavy Mob

Great TV show in the 70's portraying The Sweeney. They didn't always get the bad guys. OK, last of the off topic.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm think about switching to these Verde V11s

·
Registered
305 Posts
Always liked this kind of shape. I have something similar
They are gloss black. You think they be alright with the Blue Pearl? since the other black on the car is satin/matte

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Yes, gloss black will look great IMHO ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
22 × 9.5 K9 K15 - Came on it when I bought it. Put some Continental Extreme Contact tires on them and am more than happy with it

20200203_030457.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Like the stance, and the dish on the wheels. Shame it's in black and white :cool:

A Guy

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've also found these. Niche Gammas in Matte Black

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
BlackTop by Mopar Underground Design Team

Factory Reproductions Viper Wheels
22x9 et15 front, 22x10 rear
Tires- 265/35/22 front, 305/30/22 rear
I have these wheels (minus the red stripe) in 22x9 with 265/35/22 at each corner on my 2012 R/T. They look perfect.
20200303_134300_half.jpg

2841 - 2860 of 2862 Posts