Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Challenger R/T recently turned 6 years old, so I knew the battery was on borrowed time. If the car sat for a week it might have a slightly slow crank. Replaced it with what I think is a bigger and better option and wanted to post some photos and info. Maybe this has been covered elsewhere.

The original factory battery is size H7/L4/94R (depending on how you look it up). It is 7.5”Hx7”Wx12.5”L. Ratings printed on the battery are cold cranking amps (CCA)=730, reserve capacity (RC)=140, and amp-hours (Ah)=80.

Some have replaced their batteries with OEM, or Walmart EverStart Maxx versions. Seems like people like the Walmart quality fine, and they have a good warranty replacement and endless locations. The Costco by me just started selling the H7/L4/94R size (made by Interstate, which is my favorite vehicle and boat battery that I’ve had the best luck with), I think in the $135 range. These are all traditional batteries.

Doing some more research, I found that absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries are generally considered better performers with many advantages. Harder to find and more expensive. I did find that Pep Boys carries a Bosch Platinum AGM battery in the right size. But after some more investigation, I found that the next size up is almost the same price and will fit. With an online purchase and local pickup, and a coupon code, I was able to get the battery for about $176.

So now I have an H8/L5/49. The length is 1.5” longer that the stock battery, measuring at 14”L, while all other dimensions are the same. But you can see from the photos that the stock battery tray is actually this long if you remove the bolt down plate at the end.
Ratings printed on the new battery are CCA=850, cranking amps (CA)=1020, RC=160, and Ah=92.

Attached are photos of the stock configuration, the view with the battery removed, the two batteries side by side on the floor, and the final installed version. The hold down strap fits fine, and I wrapped the old hold-down bracket in foam and stowed it for future use if needed. Make sure you disconnect/reconnect the vent hose, and also carefully supply temporary power to the car while changing the battery so you don’t lose any emissions “ready flags”.

Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
smart choice, I did the same 2 years ago and it's worked out great. I had it originally in my SXT and when I bought my Scat Pack I moved it over.

·
Super Moderator
14,995 Posts
I purchased the Bosch Platinum battery three years ago. I got it on a 25% off sale from Pep Boys. Also, Bosch was offering a $30 rebate at the time. Supposedly, the glass mat technology will allow it to last much longer than a conventional battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Thanks for this very useful post. My 2013 R/T still has the original battery and while I only have 18,700 miles or so on the car, I am sure before too long the battery will conk out on me. How much do those Bosch platinum or other AGM batteries usually run? I mean I don't mind paying a little more for a much longer lasting, better quality product!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Pchall, can you post the exact part number for the battery you got? I would like to get that one as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Replacement AGM Battery:

Pchall, can you post the exact part number for the battery you got? I would like to get that one as well. Thanks!
I am using AGM batteries in two of my other cars and I am happy with them. I had one go bad & it was replaced under warranty. I acquired these batteries at O'Reilly's Auto Parts.
One thing that people should be aware of is battery quality. Some of the familiar brand names are not the same quality that they used to be and are no longer manufactured in the US. There are, however, a few battery manufacturers that are still in the US and offer an excellent quality battery. You may want to check out where the battery is manufactured that you are contemplating purchase of. I have experienced sudden battery failures with no warning from name brand battery companies that have moved their factories out of the country, so I am going to go strictly USA made batteries even if they cost a bit more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery make/model

As a follow-up, the Bosch AGM battery I chose was part # 49-850BAGM (Pep Boys SKU 838838). But check your car's measurements to be perfectly sure it will fit. Also keep in mind that different battery brands may be more readily available in different parts of the country. For me, having many convenient places for warranty replacement is important. Besides having better-than-stock specs and other performance benefits over traditional flooded batteries, this model carries a 4-year full-replacement warranty. I didn't look for where it was made. Some Googling leads be to believe Bosch is made by Exide, who has US manufacturing facilities. I guess the other two big US battery manufacturers are East Penn and Johnson Controls. I have had the best luck previously with Interstate and thought they were a prime manufacturer, but it looks like even they are marketing batteries made by other companies. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,074 Posts
Thanks for this very useful post. My 2013 R/T still has the original battery and while I only have 18,700 miles or so on the car, I am sure before too long the battery will conk out on me. How much do those Bosch platinum or other AGM batteries usually run? I mean I don't mind paying a little more for a much longer lasting, better quality product!
$180.00 at Pep Boys near me

A Guy

Reactions: Tshane72

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
FWIW, Johnson Controls manufactures several models of batteries for AGM, Interstate, Wal-Mart, Optima, and several OEM's.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
The larger/longer battery is the spec'd model for the Charger cop cars. As observed, the battery tray will accommodate it, so it is a viable option for non-cop cars when the higher amperage is desired.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The larger/longer battery is the spec'd model for the Charger cop cars. As observed, the battery tray will accommodate it, so it is a viable option for non-cop cars when the higher amperage is desired.

I really don't need any extra amperage but I do like the fact that it is maintenance free and lasts twice as long as a conventional flooded acid battery! You really cannot go wrong. I will check my battery tray to be sure but Pchall's car is a 2012, mine is a '13..I am sure they are the same.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I feel dumb for asking this but when I go to change out the battery, does it matter that I currently have the car tuned with a canned tune from my Trinity? Also I don't have any other way of powering the vehicle while I change the battery so I guess it will just reset everything...

·
Super Moderator
14,995 Posts
The Bosch Platinum battery, for a 5.7L, lists for $221.99. Pep Boys is currently running a 20% off sale. As a result, the final price is $177.59. When I bought mine, a few years ago, Bosch was offering a $25 rebate. My final cost was only $152. (Note- Whatever battery you buy, remember to install the trunk vent tube).

https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-plati...uct/838845/2013/DODGE/CHALLENGER/V8-345 5.7L

·
Registered
585 Posts
Smart choice on the Bosch. I'd never put a Walmart branded part in my Challenger. I use OEM only or next better quality.

I'll have to consider the Bosch. Why not I have their dishwasher, stove, and microwave.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I feel dumb for asking this but when I go to change out the battery, does it matter that I currently have the car tuned with a canned tune from my Trinity? Also I don't have any other way of powering the vehicle while I change the battery so I guess it will just reset everything...

Tshane brings up a good point about swapping out a battery. Is there a safe way to prevent having to reset everything? A trickle charge or the like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Thanks Jazz..I read somewhere else though that you would have to reset the windows so that they properly move up the right amount when you close the doors? Among other things..

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
851 Posts
This is a worthwhile view if ready to change battery...

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I don't have a battery tender or anything, when I go to change mine out I'll just have to lose all power to the vehicle till I get the new one hooked up. In that video he says you can damage the PCM if you don't keep power to the car?? Never heard of that before and I have changed many batteries on other vehicles with no problems whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,074 Posts
We advise people to disconnect the negative batter terminal for various issues all the time. Have never heard of it causing any issues. The PCM is a hard written memory, it doesn't lose info when the battery is disconnected. The time on the head unit is about all that may be lost, but that's over cellular, so as soon as connected again it corrects. I do remember some people having to do the window reset, but not sure what their circumstances were.

Diablosport ships PCMs to you and they aren't powered :) Can you imagine if a dead battery always damaged the PCM?

A Guy

1 - 20 of 42 Posts