Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
My 2012 Challenger R/T recently turned 6 years old......

So now I have an H8/L5/49. The length is 1.5” longer that the stock battery, measuring at 14”L, while all other dimensions are the same. But you can see from the photos that the stock battery tray is actually this long if you remove the bolt down plate at the end......

Hope this helps someone.
Pchall,
Thinking of picking up one of these batteries but I have a question.

What did you use for the hold down bolt with the new battery?

Did you just run without a hold down?

thanks-

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
I don't have a battery tender or anything, when I go to change mine out I'll just have to lose all power to the vehicle till I get the new one hooked up. In that video he says you can damage the PCM if you don't keep power to the car?? Never heard of that before and I have changed many batteries on other vehicles with no problems whatsoever.
Treat that advice like you would the warnings on the side of a can of camping propane. Read them, acknowledge they are issuing a CYA, and go on about your rat killing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pchall,
Thinking of picking up one of these batteries but I have a question.

What did you use for the hold down bolt with the new battery?

Did you just run without a hold down?

thanks-
Your universal battery tray should already come with a mounting boss for the longer police H8 battery. The H8 hold down bracket can be purchased under part number 5112059AB.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Yep, the metal tray the battery sits in will have 2 holes for that 13mm nut that goes thru the metal clamp that clamps it down. For the longer batteries, simply reposition the clamp and use the outboard hole...can’t get it wrong really, since the longer battery will cover up the hole that is used now. It will clamp down the same way and there will be only one hole available to screw down into once longer battery is in place.

In the pics below, your current battery is the battery you see and the little square marked A is where your clamp goes and the X is where the nut screws that holds the clamp on the battery and on the battery tray:
image_1545628379654.jpg

In this pic, the new, longer cop battery is the battery you see, and the rest is the same as before except the new location where the clamp and nut go are closer to the rear of the tray (drawing NOT to scale):
image_1545628569394.jpg

(The foam is the metal clamp and the socket joint is the 13mm nut, if that wasn’t clear by my impromptu visual reference creations)

Clear as mud?

Reactions: Unicorn

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
851 Posts
We advise people to disconnect the negative batter terminal for various issues all the time. Have never heard of it causing any issues. The PCM is a hard written memory, it doesn't lose info when the battery is disconnected. The time on the head unit is about all that may be lost, but that's over cellular, so as soon as connected again it corrects. I do remember some people having to do the window reset, but not sure what their circumstances were.

Diablosport ships PCMs to you and they aren't powered :) Can you imagine if a dead battery always damaged the PCM?

A Guy

Great common sense info, Guy...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yep, the metal tray the battery sits in will have 2 holes for that 13mm nut that goes thru the metal clamp that clamps it down. For the longer batteries, simply reposition the clamp and use the outboard hole...can’t get it wrong really, since the longer battery will cover up the hole that is used now. It will clamp down the same way and there will be only one hole available to screw down into once longer battery is in place.

In the pics below, your current battery is the battery you see and the little square marked A is where your clamp goes and the X is where the nut screws that holds the clamp on the battery and on the battery tray:
View attachment 936025

In this pic, the new, longer cop battery is the battery you see, and the rest is the same as before except the new location where the clamp and nut go are closer to the rear of the tray (drawing NOT to scale):
View attachment 936027

(The foam is the metal clamp and the socket joint is the 13mm nut, if that wasn’t clear by my impromptu visual reference creations)

Clear as mud?

Nice graphic representation Nuke....

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
On my ‘11 with AUTO HVAC I disconnected the battery but did not turn the knobs to OFF. It resulted in the rear defog light flashing on every start indicating a problem with the blend door calibration. There is a way to reset but to avoid any issues shut off the HVAC controls before disconnecting the battery.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Don't all batteries have a date of manufacture or date of installation on them? I am offshore right now and can't look at my battery.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Battery Manufacture Date

The first 2 digits; a number and a letter is all you need to know the date of manufacture of a car battery. The number corresponds to year of manufacture; in this case 2013, and the letter the month of manufacture. ‘A’ stands for January and ‘L’ December. Some manufacturers skip the letter I, in such cases ‘M’ would stand for December. So the manufacture date of the battery with the stamp in the image is June, 2013. Note that some manufacturers interchange the letter and the number so you may have F3D201 instead of 3FD201. Whatever the case, the number still stands for year and the letter for month. The stamp can usually be found on the top left corner of the casing.

In case anybody else wants to know?

Attachments

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
42 Posts
The battery in my 2015 was losing its snappiness when starting in the mildly cold(50 F) temperatures of Los Angeles, so I replaced it with an Odyssey 94R-850 that I purchased through Auto Zone.

Install was simple as the vent plug is included, and the OEM vent tube attaches in the same position as on the original battery.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,205 Posts
The battery in my 2015 was losing its snappiness when starting in the mildly cold(50 F) temperatures of Los Angeles, so I replaced it with an Odyssey 94R-850 that I purchased through Auto Zone.

Install was simple as the vent plug is included, and the OEM vent tube attaches in the same position as on the original battery.
So many do not understand this or think its not important to do.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
There’s a thread on here somewhere that details how a member’s trunk had an explosion go off in it, taking out the battery.

Come to find out, the battery had been replaced and the vent tube wasn’t hooked up, allowing the hydrogen gas coming from battery to build up until something sparked it off.

Thats a

Reactions: Unicorn

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Tshane brings up a good point about swapping out a battery. Is there a safe way to prevent having to reset everything? A trickle charge or the like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless you leave the battery disconnected for a long period of time (1 hour or more?) it wont erase anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unless you leave the battery disconnected for a long period of time (1 hour or more?) it wont erase anything.
My 2015 battery was disconnected for a few hours while I went to Costco to get another. I didn't hook up any auxiliary power because I didn't think of doing it. After I connected the new one, the only thing I noticed was the clock lost its time which was easy to reset. What other issues am I likely to find down the road??? PCM problems?? Alternator issues???

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
My 2015 battery was disconnected for a few hours while I went to Costco to get another. I didn't hook up any auxiliary power because I didn't think of doing it. After I connected the new one, the only thing I noticed was the clock lost its time which was easy to reset. What other issues am I likely to find down the road??? PCM problems?? Alternator issues???
Have your radio pre-set stations been wiped out?

I'm fearing the battery swap myself on my 2016.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I have never had an issue with disconnecting my battery. I would leave it disconnected for 6 months at a time when I was overseas. I have a 2012 R/T so some of the electronics may be different than your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Great writeup, thank you for taking the time.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
851 Posts
When I changed mine, I hooked to my portable CAT battery charger...The one you can get at Costco...FWIW...Everything OK...Nothing changed...I guess I didn't need it...

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I changed mine, I hooked to my portable CAT battery charger...The one you can get at Costco...FWIW...Everything OK...Nothing changed...I guess I didn't need it...
No, my station pre-sets were still ok after two hours. How many amps did you feed your system with that CAT battery charger? When you go to the store to get your new battery, don't close the trunk lid with the battery gone. PITA to get it open with no battery hooked up. When you buy your new battery from Costco, it's a lifetime free replacement when you return it before 3 years. No questions asked and no test involved. Totally free and you're set for another 3 years.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts