Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Challenger RT has 5900 miles on it. I have changed the oil like was supposed to. In the mornings I can smell the oil burning in the exhaust just like my old 70s cars. It doesn't last long. Has anyone else noticed this. This is pretty disappointing. I love the car otherwise

·
Super Moderator
14,135 Posts
Try installing an oil catch can to prevent oil vapors from being sucked into your intake and burned.

·
Registered
427 Posts
2X on the oil catch can!

I changed my oil yesterday after 4,400 miles since last oil change & my catch can was almost full of oil. Hate to think all that oil going into my intake manifold. I have 7,800 miles on my car.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome from Okla. I would get it to the dealer before I done any thing to it, it may not be nothing bad but get it checked out it will be covered by the dealer. Enjoy the forums. Ronnie

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Try installing an oil catch can to prevent oil vapors from being sucked into your intake and burned.
Ditto. Insatll a catch can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't this seem wrong to anyone else but me? I googled it and it sounds like it can become a big deal. Why has dodge not done anything about this. If it can cause buildup in my intake.it sounds like it is something that should be done before it leaves the factory. Or is it just one of those things that people are making a mountain out of a mole hill

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....I discovered an oil leak from somewhere around my intake manifold at around 9k miles. I also began to get "smoke on startup" under certain circumstances. Cetainly something I would not consider "normal" for a modern, new vehicle and definitely not something I would want to install a band aid for. ....especially considering not everyone experiences the same issue.

In my case, I believe the smoke may be related to my intake leak and possibly oil pooling in certain areas somewhere in the system. It seems to happen more often when I back the car out to my driveway (which is on a slight incline) and then restart it later. In either case, I'm hoping they'll find the leak, fix it and then my "smoke" issue will disappear as well. ....I would take it to the dealer and at least have them document the issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When you use such a thin oil it turns to vapor very easily. I can see it condensing in the motor and causing a small puff at start without a catch can. For that matter a slight leak is probably not out of the ordinary either. Since these cars are still under contract, why not take it back to the criminals that sold it to you and see if they can find it. Typically they won't waste much time on it and if there is little if any evidence of the leak chances are they will just return it to you with no problem found.

Personally I like the idea of a catch can and think it is something that Dodge should have done from the factory. It is on my list of add-ons

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
OK, here goes me disagreeing again. If you're burning a significant amount of oil, you have problems no "catch can" is going to solve. The best thing to do is monitor your oil consumption by checking the level on your stick.

These engines are designed to run for 100's of thousands of miles with regular maintenance and NO catch can. People who say their catch cans are full are talking a few ounces over a period of several thousand miles. That's nothing.

I said it on another forum, if a catch can makes you feel better about your car, or you just like the looks of some added aluminum or chrome and some hoses in your engine bay, and you don't mind having to check it from time to time, then by all means get one. For the rest of us, drive the car, change the oil as recommended, do the rest of the pm's and be happy.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
OK, here goes me disagreeing again. If you're burning a significant amount of oil, you have problems no "catch can" is going to solve. The best thing to do is monitor your oil consumption by checking the level on your stick.
This is pretty much what I was going to post. A puff of blue smoke or distinct smell at startup is not normal. It should be checked at the dealer, not band aided with a catch can (if it can even stop it in the first place).

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I changed my oil the other day after 4,400 miles my dip stick read 1/8" below the full line. While a oil catch can is not needed for me it's worth the extra 30 seconds every oil change to dump the can verses letting that oil go into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts

These engines are designed to run for 100's of thousands of miles with regular maintenance and NO catch can. People who say their catch cans are full are talking a few ounces over a period of several thousand miles. That's nothing.

I said it on another forum, if a catch can makes you feel better about your car, or you just like the looks of some added aluminum or chrome and some hoses in your engine bay, and you don't mind having to check it from time to time, then by all means get one. For the rest of us, drive the car, change the oil as recommended, do the rest of the pm's and be happy.
My thoughts too. Last oil change had 2500 miles on it, and the oil level on dipstick was a thick 1/16" down, or a thin 1/8" down from full.

IMO, the only catch can I need is the oil drain can at change time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts