Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I-5 Closed In Commerce After Crash Leaves 3 Dead « CBS Los Angeles

COMMERCE (CBSLA.com) — A fiery crash Saturday morning on I-5 in Commerce that claimed the lives of two men and a woman was started by motorists racing on the freeway, the California Highway Patrol said.

In the aftermath of the crash, Dealio Lockhart, 35, of Whittier was arrested and could face vehicular manslaughter charges, the CHP said. Police were searching Saturday for a second motorist.

The accident on the southbound I-5 at Garfield Avenue took place just after midnight, the CHP said.

Lockhart, driving a Dodge Challenger, was racing a Dodge Charger southbound when he saw a slower vehicle ahead and attempted to get around it at the same time that vehicle was trying to move to the right, the CHP said.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
This is why I stopped playing around on the roads with someone else. It's idiotic to me but we're responsible for the other fool's driving.

·
Registered
13,540 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
They should have stuck with the murder charges. If you run through a crowd swinging a sword, and kill someone, that's murder. Why should speeding down a crowded freeway with a 2-ton hunk of steel be any different? He should never see the outside of a cell again.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,333 Posts
They should have stuck with the murder charges. If you run through a crowd swinging a sword, and kill someone, that's murder. Why should speeding down a crowded freeway with a 2-ton hunk of steel be any different? He should never see the outside of a cell again. A Guy
It's terrible what happened but, in the eyes of the law, this is more an involuntary manslaughter crime than murder.

Murder is defined as using violent means to deprive another human being of life with malicious intent.

Manslaughter refers to taking the life of another human being but without malice. The most important distinction between murder and manslaughter is the intention in the mind of the killer. Murder is the successful attempt to kill someone whereas manslaughter is the horrible outcome of an unintentional action.

Degrees of Murder and Manslaughter:

Murder ‘“ has three different degrees in the United States. All three degrees still indicate that the killer had the intention of harming or killing his victim in mind before committing the action.
1st degree murder ‘“ refers to any murder that was premeditated
2nd degree murder ‘“ refers to a homicide that took place at the same time as another felony (e.g. killing a bank teller during a robbery)
3rd degree murder ‘“ refers to death that takes place when the original intent was simply to harm the victim

Manslaughter ‘“ has two different categories depending on whether or not the homicidal actions were planned before they took place.

Voluntary manslaughter ‘“ in most commonly awarded when the convicted can prove temporary insanity. It is also used if a person has been provoked to commit actions they wouldn’t normally engage in.

Involuntary manslaughter ‘“ is the charge levied when someone accidentally kills someone else while committing a misdemeanor and had no intention of killing anyone. Throwing a brick through a window and killing someone from the blow is an example. Hitting someone with your car while drinking is one of the most common causes of involuntary manslaughter.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Senseless and sad for the victims! TAKE IT TO THE TRACK if you want to race! There's plenty of race tracks out there to release that urge.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hope all of the "...was driving in 'Mexico'..." crowd read this. Nothing rankles me more than reading that smug and offensive dodge (pun intended) on social media when idiots publicize their vehicular exploits.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
There SHOULD BE NO RACING ON ROADS, PERIOD. Go to the track.
Look at ALL of the people those Street Racers kept employed! They were just helping the economy!
Casket Makers, Funeral Home, Firefighters, EMS, etc....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Where is the youtube video for this? I guess they didn't get a chance to post it.

There's probably new content on street racing uploaded every 15 minutes. Got to upload that vid, subscribe, and hit that Like button so the checks keep coming in.

The ones that I "worry" about is those uber ones in a Lambo (Hellcat, etc, take your pick). Or the ones with the hot girls. The seat belt is not even on properly across their chest...

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
There was a seat belt?

A Guy

·
Registered
29 Posts
22 years sounds like a lot for an "accident", yes it was still an accident, an unfortunate one, but still an accident. His lawyer advised him wrong.

·
Registered
966 Posts
His recklessness and complete disregard for others caused *3* people to die. 22 years isn't long enough. If it were one of your family members that died because of him, I think you would feel differently.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does. I second the posters remarks above - dipshits.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
More fools to make our Challenger insurance that much more expensive.
I feel for the family's involved.
It's sad but it happens all the time.
People bother me all the time since I have a Challenger to race I just ignore them besides I have a V6 not exactly a real fast car but not slow either.
Hate to see this kind of life changing event for everyone involved everyone of there lives will never be the same over foolish actions.
I think I'll go wash my SXT and give it some lovin, those others will never see there dream cars again.
RIP

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
22 years sounds like a lot for an "accident", yes it was still an accident, an unfortunate one, but still an accident. His lawyer advised him wrong.
No, he got what he deserved. This was not an accident. This race went on for 11 miles!!!! An accident is something that just randomly happens, to race another car for 11 miles at speeds of 120 mph or more weaving in and out of traffic is criminal, thankfully the prosecutors are cracking down and now sticking to a harsher sentence. His attorney could only get a deal that the prosecution agreed to so this was probably the best he could get. Yes it seems harsh but in other crashes where you are merely negligent you usually get 1 year per person, a street race obviously should call for much more and glad to see it.

Also, you don't have to wreck to be liable. If the guy you are racing wrecks and kills someone you will likely face the same charges as him. This insanity has to stop. In LA County alone where this crash happened, between 2000 and 2017 over 179 people have been killed in suspected street racing accidents and this is why the DA has said enough is enough.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
18 Participants
A Guy
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing