Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So maybe I'm coming from my old Harley perspective on this but I have pretty much waived or flashed my lights at every Challenger I come across on the road and never received an acknowledgement. On the forums yes their is the "brotherhood" but in real life on the road and not at cars and coffee or a dodge challenger get together - there seems to be very little. As if my Challenger is better than yours mentality. Not very friendly at all. So I no longer try. But then again even waiving at people in my own neighborhood very seldom illicits a friendly wave back. As a matter of fact by the reaction on their faces you would think I flipped them off! Oh well, the world today. Harley riders, forget about it, now that's a brotherhood!

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
961 Posts
This is definitely a regional thing.

But I also have found Challenger owners..... difficult. Hemi guys are not anything like the guys from the Turbo Dodge world I came from.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,658 Posts
So maybe I'm coming from my old Harley perspective on this but I have pretty much waived or flashed my lights at every Challenger I come across on the road and never received an acknowledgement. On the forums yes their is the "brotherhood" but in real life on the road and not at cars and coffee or a dodge challenger get together - there seems to be very little. As if my Challenger is better than yours mentality. Not very friendly at all. So I no longer try. But then again even waiving at people in my own neighborhood very seldom illicits a friendly wave back. As a matter of fact by the reaction on their faces you would think I flipped them off! Oh well, the world today. Harley riders, forget about it, now that's a brotherhood!
Often too much traffic to take the time to look for a wave or a flash of the lights and acknowledge. A number of cars have tinted windows and one can't even see inside all that well.

In some areas at least close to where I drive to flash lights at a vehicle can be seen as some kind of confrontational action. Heck I had some guy make some comment to me about looking at him "hard" with some addtional comment about some retaliation when I was walking up to a 7-11 entrance. When I walked out I was prepared to fight my way back to my car.

Don't know where you live and drive but I hardly see Harley riders wave to each other any more. Most of the time they are too distracted zooming between cars on the freeway.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I had my Corvette and lived in Dallas, quite often an oncoming Vette driver would open his hand on the steering wheel, a sort of quick wave action. I would always respond in kind sometimes initiating the wave.

I don't see that much now days driving my Challenger but I did have a Challenger driver wink at me with a single flash of one of his halo lights. I waved back to him. But I've noticed what you're saying. I always notice other Challengers on the road and think that one needs a bath or that one needs a spoiler or that one looks really nice and would make it a point to compliment that driver if we ended up out of out cars in the same parking lot. I get compliments on mine daily so I know how that can make your day a little better.

Reactions: MrF8Green

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,441 Posts
I get it a lot here, in different cars. The Jeep thing is huge I have noticed, and I have had people raise fingers (multiple) off the wheel, out the window, wave, flash lights, even what looked like the Battlestar Galactica "By Your Command" Roman Gesture... and not all from other Challengers/mopars. Even a Camaro (never a Mustang, just sayin...) Same with in my 1967 El Camino.
And now that school is back in, on my way to work I pass some kids waiting for the bus and I get the young'uns waving as I go by, so I give them a toot, makes them smile, so what the heck. (I assume they are maybe 12-13ish? They all look young to me now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I am driving my Pontiac G8 and see another G8, we are both waving and thumbs-up to each other. When I'm driving my Challenger, all I get is weird stares when I wave at another Challenger or even a Charger.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
There are an additional one or two in my neighborhood and I actually had one stop by and have a long chat with me over a beer just talking about challenger stuff. Had a lot in common. When I see one on the road I flash my lights and usually get the same or a wave. Not all the time though. Just my experience. Some people are just weird.

·
Registered
981 Posts
That’s changed over the years as challengers have become more and more common on the road and many are simply bought as transportation like any other 10 year old used car at this point. I believe the average driver in a challenger today isn’t an enthusiast, just a commuter, who has no idea why you’re trying to communicate. Driving my first challenger back in 13 was a different story than now, and I am told that coming across another challenger back in 08-10 was much more significant than even that.

That said, I still do the half wave from the steering wheel move. Usually it’s not even noticed, but you can usually predict who will respond - custom mods, scat packs, personalized license plates, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Friendliest group I ever belonged to was the Jeep Wrangler crowd. But those of you who owned or ever drove one knows you can't go fast enough in one to not notice everything around you. Fun ride. I miss mine................the Mailman

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ugh, why do people want this to be a thing? My wife used to own a Jeep Wrangler, and I'd drive it once in a while. Every time I'd pass another wrangler they'd do the wave. I guess I'm just not a people person but I always hated that. I can't say I want to deal with that again when my challenger comes in. Camradary is one thing, I have no problem talking with someone about my car. I'd rather not wave at every single challenger I see driving down the road, especially since they are everywhere at this point

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here in the Los Angeles area, most other Challenger owner's won't acknowledge you. I try to either flash my lights or give them a thumbs up. Very few reciprocate. There are several different Challenger clubs around but they don't seem to be very friendly & want to accept me as a member. Maybe it's my age or possibly it is due to the fact that I only have an R/T Scat Pack and not an SRT, Hellcat or Demon. It would be nice to get a group together for a little Challenger Coffee that would include all models & trim levels of the later platform Challengers.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,839 Posts
When I bought my first one back in 2009 it was quite a novelty. On the ride home from the dealer I felt like a rock star. People were waving and honking with thumbs up. Lots of people taking pictures too. That isn’t why I bought it, but it was fun. 11 years later the novelty has largely worn off.... for casual observers anyway. Hasn’t worn off for me though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, My wife says the same thing. Other Challenger drivers don't notice her in hers which is odd as it's a T/A and rather more noticable than a base model....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,622 Posts
I've adopted the "old man and I don't care" attitude. I always wave, even if I just get a blank stare, lol. I tend to get waves from people who have obvious mods (Front splitter, louvers, aftermarkets wheels), but as mentioned, many just buy the car they like, they aren't "in to" Challengers.

When I'm out driving I notice Chargers, 300cs, Ram pickups. Have to realize many don't see the connection. The Chargers are more likely to know.

A Guy

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Here in the Los Angeles area, most other Challenger owner's won't acknowledge you. I try to either flash my lights or give them a thumbs up. Very few reciprocate. There are several different Challenger clubs around but they don't seem to be very friendly & want to accept me as a member. Maybe it's my age or possibly it is due to the fact that I only have an R/T Scat Pack and not an SRT, Hellcat or Demon. It would be nice to get a group together for a little Challenger Coffee that would include all models & trim levels of the later platform Challengers.
I'm around LA too. Odds are higher if their car is modded they are more of an enthusiast so they may be more likely to respond. There's too many cars in LA so there's going to be a lot of Challengers of levels. Like others have said some aren't really that into cars so there isn't really too much of this brotherhood of muscle. I have a scatpack and when I see another scatpack I try to wave since it's a little less common, still not super rare.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I try to extend the "Brotherhood of Muscle" comradery to all Muscle car/Performance car enthusiasts.

I extend the "thumbs up" to many performance cars, regardless of make or model. Quite often I get a wave or a "thumbs up" in return. Not always, but more times than not. I find the "thumbs up" works better than a wave.

At 51, I am officially in the "old mans club". As such, I have become an early riser. One of my favorite drives is an early Saturday/Sunday morning run (on empty back roads if possible) to a distant diner/restaurant.

Many times the parking lot contains various performance cars. Siting at the counter are usually the drivers.
All early risers, all out enjoying there cars on empty roads, all having a stress-less/ peaceful start to there day.

I have struck up conversations with SO MANY performance enthusiasts, I really couldn't count them all.
The vast majority are more than happy to talk about their cars. Sharing cool places they have been, fun car stuff to do and opinions on different performance cars they have owned.

The most recent was with a 5.7 Shaker owner. Great guy. (and I am driving a BOSS 302 Mustang). Another recent account was with a JCW Mini Cooper owner. Again, great guy. Not a Mustang owner/Challenger owner but definitely a passionate performance enthusiast. I have learned a lot about other performance makes/brands from these meetings.

If you reach out a little, you might be pleasantly surprised to see just how strong this "Brotherhood" of performance really is.

Reactions: vpzyck and Ronan978

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Houston drivers are constantly trying to get me killed with their incompetence and entitlement. Doesn't give much opportunity to pay attention to anyone waving at me, much less waving back.

For all I know it might be taken as a sign of hostility and result in having a gun pulled on me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What surprised mw was all waves, thumbs up and positive comments from strangers. I had a construction zone flagger give me the spin your tires signal and the same day a lady at the gym asked to take pics of my car.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All very true comments from you guys and yes your all right, the guys with the modded cars are the one's that usually do wave back. And as another poster said, usually I get the thumbs up from everyone but a Challenger owner. Yes these cars have lost their novelty on the road and are now quite common which is a good point. When you do have a conversation with another owner they are very friendly - just need to break the ice!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just love looking at other Challengers on the road, they just look bad a..! Love my car that's for sure. In west Michigan this weekend is the Metro Cruise - was out last night with a buddy grabbing some beer and saw some really sweet rides. Lots of guys also checking out my car. It will go all weekend - they hold it the last weekend in August every year. Its fun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts