Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I hope it is in a museum somewhere, it sure is a good looking car :)

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,850 Posts
Wish they pillarless hardtop had made it into production.
probably not rigid enough, I like the engine covers too. Only question, if that air cleaner sealed to the hood, how did it get enough air to run?

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,007 Posts
Yes, last I heard it sits in a Detroit warehouse, along with a few other concept and pre-production cars.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,172 Posts

A Guy

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Super Moderator
15,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
probably not rigid enough, I like the engine covers too. Only question, if that air cleaner sealed to the hood, how did it get enough air to run?
The Concept had unique ducting and fully functional throttle-controlled butterfly hood scoops.

Check out the designers' discussion of the butterfly valves at the 2:30 minute mark of this video.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,172 Posts
No fuel door like we have on the concept...

A Guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 has the best challenger 392 inagural edition 550 blue wt white stripes 550 with white and blue stripes i own blue wt whites and its the best looking not many cars gave that color only 550 or less

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'll share a similar story in the Acura Integra Type R. There were two press cars from Honda. So the car you see in Car and Driver, Motor-Trend magazine, etc was one of two press cars. All the paperwork, letter, documentation were included. The press car was not exactly "complete" where it's missing a few items. But where it counts, and photograph was done OEM production. Because it was not a complete certified car, the cars do not have titles. Why would even a collector buy a car that they can't drive it. Auction price is $60K+ for mint Integra Type R.

After the press released was done, one of the car was sent to the crusher. Not stipped for parts, but crushed. I think that's what they suppose to do with concept cars, etc, basically cars that were not real road U.S. legal cars. The other press car escaped, and when home to a person that work(ed) for Honda. He did nothing with it because it was not titled, could not get insurance, etc, etc. He never said how he got it.

15 years later, he tried to sell it. Even after several price drops for 2 years, no takers. Because buyers could not title the car. Price was $11K for a car with 2,000 miles. No takers. You would think there would be buyers willing to buy and part out the car. Or even a collector.

Then he decided to title it. Not sure what he did, or had to do, to get the car to be "road legal." I think may be his wife wanted it out of the garage...NOW.

Once it was titled, sold.

I suppose only he know who the last surviving original press car was sold to. The rest of us followed on the forum as everything unfolded.

Probably to some high school kid who could only pony up $11K working part time at McDonalds. And not know or care about the history of this car.

Maybe that car will surface one day. Maybe a barn find in the future. Or already stolen and stripped for parts.

So to circle back to the Challenger Concept. Unless some collector owns it, it probably been crushed in the junk yard - because that's not a road legal car. Imagine the legal liability in today's world.

·
Super Moderator
15,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So to circle back to the Challenger Concept. Unless some collector owns it, it probably been crushed in the junk yard - because that's not a road legal car. Imagine the legal liability in today's world.
If it was not "road legal," how was it driven extensively on the roads?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I don't know, I'm sure there's some sort of specialized plates, authorization, or permission to drive manufacture test cars on the road. Perhaps a better example would be a test mule. They can drive it on the road, but it's really not a legal car - to own, title, insure, etc. That's what I mean by "road legal."

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't know, I'm sure there's some sort of specialized plates, authorization, or permission to drive manufacture test cars on the road. Perhaps a better example would be a test mule. They can drive it on the road, but it's really not a legal car - to own, title, insure, etc. That's what I mean by "road legal."
Those would still require plates.

You can see the plates on the bronco test mule in this video.

EDIT: Another plated test mule.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts