Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to put a dash cam in my new car so I can make videos of trips to share with friends and family. I know little to nothing about these cams other than the little tiny ones you see advertised, all claiming to be the best. No better place to start shopping than with all of you....Is there a preferred one for use in a Challenger?

·
Registered
Dodge challenger rallye redline
453 Posts
I run the garmin dash cam 20 in my work trucks and they are great they just came out with new ones 45-55-65 and they have new time lapse features and look pretty sweet.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,996 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
16 SXT, XM only option

I bought a Blackvue 650 2 ch, my 1st dash cam.
Love it, does things I now know I need, but didn't when I shopped.

Front is 'under' rear view 'pod' (also have smart tag higher), and I will get the wires in there on removal.
Rear is low, as louvers blocked my test mount.
Get 3m 'primer' for the 3m tape - Blackvue goo let go in heat, 3m does not.

Only seen 2 events so far (stuff flying off vehicles), neither news worthy, but I like that my vehicle's 'profiling' potential is offset by my 'yellow light' cam!

I did not get an add-on battery as my home is pretty safe. So I have manually switched battery (when out) or ignition (when parked at home) - cam will still come on if I forget, but not kill battery if parked for a while.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
After purchasing and testing out numerous dash cams since 2015, I settled on the Wheel Witness. It has GPS, records great at night and during the day. It has many options that can be customized. I record in five minute segments. It records any motion that is detected in parking lots and will record for a solid minute after I have powered off the car. The WW was easy to install, much like the others that I have tried. It comes with a 16 GB micro SD card. I upgraded to 32 GB. There are others out there that may be better, but of the ones that I tested this one worked out the best.

https://www.amazon.com/WheelWitness-PRO-Dash-Cam-GPS/dp/B00OTZWJE2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497391749&sr=1-1&keywords=wheel+witness+hd+pro+dash+cam

Things to consider in a dash cam:
Quality - 1080p or better. Settle for nothing less in 2017.
View (FOV) - 170 degree wide angle is the best that I have seen and tried. My current dash cam is 150 degree with very little distortion on the edges.
Battery Power - Most have seconds on internal power while others have minutes. Only a concern if you need to record when the car is sitting parked.
AC Power - Make sure that it has a 10 - 12 foot power cord so that you can neatly hide the wire.

Even though I found one that works for me, I am always looking at newer technology. Would like to see text alerts and mobile device viewing in future cams.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I have this one mounted in both the front windshield and rear window in my Challenger and in my wife's SUV.

Personally, I couldn't say that a dash cam would be good for recording a trip to show video to friends. I suppose you could, depending on how you set it up.
Most dash cams are set to save videos in segments of 5 minutes each until the SD card fills up and then it overwrites the oldest one.

There are many, many different types, models, brands, and prices for dash cams. I've tried several and my favorite is the model I'm linking here, due to it being mounted flat to the glass with double-stick tape and being quite unobtrusive. The camera is easily removed from it's mount if you need to take it down.

EDIT... Both cameras are hard wired to start recording when the ignition switch goes on and shuts down when you turn the car off.
This model includes a GPS antenna that plugs into the camera and can be used or not used. I don't have GPS hooked up to any of my cameras but have tested them. This same camera can be bought without the gps addition.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Capacitor-GPS-Stealth/dp/B00TXR2P40

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
One thing to consider, if you ever have a significant accident in your car, the cops will confiscate the camera and use whatever they find on it against you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1 for GoPro. I've used GoPro to record both inside and outside on trips. Also used the time lapse on the iPhone to get some pretty good videos. If it's for security / accident recording then obviously them 2 options aren't really suitable

One thing to consider, if you ever have a significant accident in your car, the cops will confiscate the camera and use whatever they find on it against you.
Are police legally allowed to confiscate the camera? I know if the camera was used in a crime they are but if it's just recorded an accident I thought they required a court order to confiscate?

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
I put a StreetGuardian in my wife's Mini and am waiting for them to finish beta testing their new model for my Challenger.

DashCamTalk is where I did most of my research. Besides image quality, card capacity, screen, GPS, G-force sensor, WiFi...there are some other important factors to consider:
battery vs. capacitor (latter is better)
transfer rate (20Mbps is great)
buffered/unbuffered/time lapse parking mode
after sale tech support

The options I had narrowed it down to were:
StreetGuardian SG9665GC
VioVation Opia II
Thinkware F770
Viofo A119S
MegTech Mini0903

·
Registered
678 Posts
Are police legally allowed to confiscate the camera? I know if the camera was used in a crime they are but if it's just recorded an accident I thought they required a court order to confiscate?
You can bet if there are serious injuries or fatalities involved, and they see a camera, they are going to seize it and review any recordings they find. Especially if you are injured and not in a position to argue. They will worry about whether it's legal later -- the worst that happens is it will get thrown out in court, by tyen they will have used "parallel construction" to find evidence that supports what they saw on camera.

I used to be a police officer and did plenty of accident investigations, I'm not just talking out of my ass on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can bet if there are serious injuries or fatalities involved, and they see a camera, they are going to seize it and review any recordings they find. Especially if you are injured and not in a position to argue. They will worry about whether it's legal later -- the worst that happens is it will get thrown out in court, by tyen they will have used "parallel construction" to find evidence that supports what they saw on camera.

I used to be a police officer and did plenty of accident investigations, I'm not just talking out of my ass on this.
Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, by watching some videos about several dash cams, I've just ordered a Grdian DEFENDR+ (GRD-A55). I will let you all know how the install goes and if it's what I was looking for. $129 plus a micro SD card. If I don't like it, I'm just gonna get a Go Pro.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So, by watching some videos about several dash cams, I've just ordered a Grdian DEFENDR+ (GRD-A55). I will let you all know how the install goes and if it's what I was looking for. $129 plus a micro SD card. If I don't like it, I'm just gonna get a Go Pro.
I ordered this one too a few days ago (DEFENDR+ GRD-A55). A Father's Day gift. The wife couldn't figure out what to buy me so I told her I already ordered it. Lol! One thing with this one is that it records your speed. I don't know if that is a good thing or not, driving in these beasts the way we all like to. You get into an accident which appears to not be your fault kind of thing and maybe speed was a factor in the cause? You know what I'm getting at? Food for thought. For the most part if your careful this camera will do its job. Looks like a good one. Wait and see. The interior pry tools are cheap at most hardware stores if needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Guys - I am considering the purchase of a garmin 66W dash cam....I have got a thing about garmin things....I also have Garmin Navigator 61 on my windscreen....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts