Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June 2017 Sales stats are in and for the first time since I have been tracking it the Challenger outsold the Mustang! For the 6th time since 12/14 it outsold the Camaro. This 10 year old design has a nice positive trend line.

Mustang - 6186
Camaro - 4891
Challenger - 6605

·
Registered
350 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The car nobody likes is the new Camaro. Since the 2017s have come out their sales numbers have been dropping. Not a lot of fans of their new design.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well there goes the excitement of being different and standing out, I kind of like the fact that there are less Challengers on the roads than Camaros and Mustangs, kinda makes them kinda rare and unique in thier own special way, kinda like a Harley used to be before everybody and his brother started buying one!!! A good thing about it though is that that should lead to a big increase in aftermarket parts you would think! >:)

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
Perhaps this trend will continue - Chrysler was offering $2.8K incentives through much of the '17 model year.

While this might help move inventory - it depresses the value of the cars. Essentially whatever MSRP starts off at, $3k in residual value drops off everything else for resale / trade in purposes.

While that doesn't have a direct impact for myself, those that bought in the past couple of years lost value if they're planning on trading in or selling in the future.

The Camaro with the restyle, had some major hits to its popularity:
*styling got very busy and front end changed a lot (slot grille)
*side glass is smaller than before (visibility has been an ongoing issue)
*reduction of wheelbase - interior space is less than prior years

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I am not surprised the Chally beat out the Camaro. I did not like the previous one either, but the new one is just ugly. I have seen a few around town here, and I tell ya, they are ugly. Now I do like how the Mustangs look now since they redid it but still, the Challenger is definitely the best looking of all 3! :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Perhaps this trend will continue - Chrysler was offering $2.8K incentives through much of the '17 model year.

While this might help move inventory - it depresses the value of the cars. Essentially whatever MSRP starts off at, $3k in residual value drops off everything else for resale / trade in purposes.

While that doesn't have a direct impact for myself, those that bought in the past couple of years lost value if they're planning on trading in or selling in the future.

The Camaro with the restyle, had some major hits to its popularity:
*styling got very busy and front end changed a lot (slot grille)
*side glass is smaller than before (visibility has been an ongoing issue)
*reduction of wheelbase - interior space is less than prior years
And don't forget that the trunk opening is a joke! I almost bought a new SS a year ago and all the things you mentioned and the trunk opening kept me from doing it. Every time I got in my Challenger to drive home I loved it more. Camaro's are fast. That's about it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The new Camaro SS performance is amazing, the restyle is awful and what kept me from buying one.

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
188 Posts
...kinda like a Harley used to be before everybody and his brother started buying one!!! ....
I'm not a Harley guy but Harleys have sold more big bikes than any other manufacturer for as long as I can remember and I've been riding bikes over 40 years.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I almost feel bad for Chevy. They made leaps and bounds for 2016, in terms of improving the Camaro dynamically (Aside from visibility). The new chassis is stiffer and lighter, they handle awesome, they're fast, etc. Their Nurburgring lap times show some real engineering know-how. It's too bad the car is just not good-looking, from any angle. That, combined with the poor visibility/headroom, are probably the 2 biggest things holding it back if I were to guess.

I think it also shows a brilliant marketing strategy by Dodge. Instead of trying to change the bodystyle drastically, they're just keeping it the way it is, and letting Ford and Chevy change their bodystyles (Apparently not for the better). It seems to be working.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice, proud to have bought mine in June 17!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd have to presume that all the media hype for the Demon played a role -- good for you, FCA! Also, introducing the GT, another car that Ford or Chevy has no answer for, helped add to those totals.

It's a great day for Challenger owners and lovers. Now, bring on that Widebody Hellcat!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The new Camaro SS performance is amazing, the restyle is awful and what kept me from buying one.
Agree. The 6th gen Camaro is built on the same platform as the Cadillac ATS. The issue (for me) is they incorporated the Cadillac design theme of all angular shapes. There is nothing rounded in their sheet metal & it is overkill. They definitely should have lowered the fender line & therefore the top of door line(or something to not feel so claustrophobic in it).

Are those numbers for the MY 17 to date?
Those are sales numbers for the month of June. Which I think are actually delivery numbers to their dealer networks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am not surprised the Chally beat out the Camaro. I did not like the previous one either, but the new one is just ugly. I have seen a few around town here, and I tell ya, they are ugly. Now I do like how the Mustangs look now since they redid it but still, the Challenger is definitely the best looking of all 3! :)[/

Colmment deleted...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well there goes the excitement of being different and standing out, I kind of like the fact that there are less Challengers on the roads than Camaros and Mustangs, kinda makes them kinda rare and unique in thier own special way, kinda like a Harley used to be before everybody and his brother started buying one!!! A good thing about it though is that that should lead to a big increase in aftermarket parts you would think! >:)

Same here...... I like to be different from that status quo..... Drive something different, Ride something different.
Glad for the company though.... increased sales keep them interested.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,365 Posts
The Camaro:
My daughter sold her 2015 after 1 year. I drove it a few times. Personally, I like the look of the car. I get it, it's a personal thing. However, getting in and out of it is a real chore. I cannot do so without thumping my head on the roof. I'm only 5'8" and with my but flat on the seat, my head hits the roof just above the driver's window area. It's not possible to get in the car without having to duck. The roof line is wayyyyyy to low. Add to that that the seat is too low to the ground. At 61 years old, I don't need to do calisthenics every time I want to get in the car.

I like to ride with the window down and my elbow on the top edge of the door, and my hand on the roof. We've all done this. But ya have to put your elbow at eye level to try to do this in the Camaro. The car is just all wrong. Not to mention that it looks VERY little like its grandfather: the 67 Camaro that I had in high school.

Took my SRT 392 to the family reunion yesterday. Handed the keys to my young cousin. Before I knew it, there were 5 teens scrambling into the car and off they went for some fun. 17 year old Caleb came back glowing. "That's my all time DREAM car," he quipped. Thank you for letting us take it out. Didn't hear one complaint about there being NO ROOM in the car.

This stuff matters. When a manufacturer is too concerned with making a car LOOK cool, and could care less about it's functionality, sooner or later it costs them in sales.

Gary
Tampa

·
Registered
23 Posts
The car nobody likes is the new Camaro. Since the 2017s have come out their sales numbers have been dropping. Not a lot of fans of their new design.
I started driving Camaros when they came out in '67, and have been a life long Chevy fan. So when I decided to get a new car this year I went and looked at the '17 models. I liked them so much I bought a Challenger.

Bob

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
650 Posts
While gassing up my ScatPack there was a new Camero at the adjacent pump. The owner (a big older dude about my age) asked what I like about the ScatPack. I said I can get in and out of it. He said "not so much, that's why I only drive it once every couple of weeks".There's lots more to like about the Challenger but getting in and out is a biggie.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Personally I do think they look cool but I will admit the front bumper is busy looking. I just couldn't get past the high door line that prevents you from hanging your arm out while driving, and the lack of interior room. I can't even put my little kids in one very well. Test drove these two. The red car is a 1SS 8 speed and the black car is loaded 2SS 8 speed. The infotainment screen actually points downward in these cars so I found myself bending downward to look at it while driving. Awkward interior layout; strange looking inside.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts