Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short background of me: I have very little to no extra money to spend on 'luxury' items. I'm disabled, my son who lives with my wife and I is also disabled. My wife can't work, she takes care of us and she has PTSD because of my four heart attacks over the past 5 years. I'm 71 years young.

I do have a very few bucks to spend on my '10 Challenger. Will be putting on a rear spoiler next month for about $110. I want to install fog lights (car didn't come with either) but I really don't have the extra money to spend on a new light switch and for Dodge to activate the system for the fog lights.

My question: Will it hurt anything to wire the fog lights off the battery (junction box will be used) and activate them with a toggle switch? This car is not a 'show' car. It's in good condition with a 3.5L V6, single exhaust. I doubt much that the toggle switch will effect the value of the car. Yes, I know it's not the best way to hook them up, but it's the only way for me to have fog lights. Just trying to make the car look a little better/cooler.

Peace

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
As long as it's either fed from an auxiliary fuse in the fuse box, or an in-line fuse directly off of the battery, you're good. The fusebox is a cleaner, more elegant method.

One thing to consider. With fog lights independently powered from their own separate toggle switch, they won't be integrated with the headlight controls, like the stock setup. In most states, it's illegal to have your fog lights AND high beams on at the same time. Vehicles with stock fog lights automatically turn them off when you switch to high beams. You will have to ensure you do this manually. If you drive past a cop with high-beams and fogs on at the same time, you'll be risking a citation.

Another consideration. If you're going for real functional fog lights, the housings need to be appropriate for the heat generated by the bulb. For instance...my '13 R/T came with halogen fog lamps. When you turned them on, there was no discernible light cast by them that you could see over the stock low beams. They were basically useless. I considered putting high intensity fog light bulbs in, but the stock housings were not designed for them, and the heat would melt them. Rather than incur the cost of replacing the stock housings, I just put a yellow LED lamp in. They're brighter than the stock halogens, but still not functional foglights (not brighter than low beams). I just run them as additional "amber" marking lights. Be sure that the housings you add are correct for the heat, so you don't melt any of the surrounding plastic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K-Dawg,

Very good information. Thank you!

PS, Fog lights back in the day - like the 1940's, 50's and even 60's - fog lights were amber and much larger. When I saw newer cars with 'fog' lights I thought they were running lights. Lights for additional lighting like the ones for road racing. *shrug* I'm just used to older cars, an old school kindda guy.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
There are some conditions that yellow fog lights work better, but today's high-intensity white ones seem to cut through the fog, rain, snow pretty good. I have really good functional foglights on my 16 RAM and 17 Pilot. I run them even in clear conditions because they light the sides of the road very well, and give me better visibility to see deer approaching at night (a huge issue here in Western PA).

Like I said, if you're adding real functional HID foglights, you can find them in yellow(amber), white, or even blue, red and orange. If you want the old-school amber look, but still high intensity, it's possible, you just have to look at available after market ones. If you try to get the ones that were on upgrade models of your 2010, you'll run into the issue of them no being able to withstand the heat of the HID bulbs, like mine. I don't think the more current fog-lights on '15+ Challengers will fit your 2010, so after-market is the only way to go, for HID fogs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, K-Dawg

I think I'll go with the clear LED lamps. Something to run on cloudy, rainy days. I'll end up having three combos of lighting, so to speak. And having fog lights will make it look better/cooler from the front than the blanks up front.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I actually put the yellow fog HIDs in my 14. Was concerned with the heat but so far no issues and its been 6 months or so. Just an FYI for anyone who may visit.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I actually put the yellow fog HIDs in my 14. Was concerned with the heat but so far no issues and its been 6 months or so. Just an FYI for anyone who may visit.
Are they brighter than the low beams? That is, are they truley functional, augmenting your low beams (lighting to the sides, close up, etc...)..

What manufacturer/part number?....I may want to check them out.

I read about lots of people melting their stock housings (assuming yours same with the same dull halogens mine did).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are they brighter than the low beams? That is, are they truley functional, augmenting your low beams (lighting to the sides, close up, etc...)..

What manufacturer/part number?....I may want to check them out.

I read about lots of people melting their stock housings (assuming yours same with the same dull halogens mine did).
Yup had the halogens previously. Its hard for me to answer any of those really. My headlights are replaced with their LED kit, which is astronomically brighter than the halogens, and on top of that I have 20% tint on the head and fog lights. My car is also lowered quite a bit and I have yet to raise any of the lights lol lazy I know but living in Atlanta I hardly ever need them as there is street lights everywhere. I will say you can see the difference in the light (white vs yellow). Ill snap some pictures tonight for you. Probably time I raise my lights anyway.

https://www.xenonhids.com/fog-lights-h16-2504-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html?i=vjdLp

The head lights were legit plug and play. Fog lights claim to be but are not. Had to splice into the side marker wiring for the 'turn on' command. Everything else was a breeze tho.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Talk about the polar opposite driving conditions. I live way out in the sticks in western PA where deer strikes are a real problem (see photos.) Darker than a coal-miner's arse-hole at night and when it rains and fogs, it can be really hazardous. The functional fogs on my truck and SUV are excellent. If I can get some extra lighting on my '13 R/T, it would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yea I lived in south Georgia growing up where it was similar conditions. Lots of deer and dark anyway. You can see the difference in the light in the photos. I adjusted everything so Ill update once I drive around at night and get some better pics.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts