Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for actual Challenger AWD owners opinions on Winter drivability w/the Challenger GT AWD PLEASE and Thank you in Advance!!
Looking to replace my older Jeep Grand w/Hemi and do NOT want to give up the engine capability but live in the country so need AWD at minimum, was looking to go w/the Durango but am very drawn to the Challenger because of my affinity for the muscle car(grew up working at my Uncle's dragstrip
) So my top concern w/going the Challenger is mainly over the ground clearance at 5" vs the 8" on the Durango but we have a new Ram 1500 & I would hang onto my Jeep Grand(so not having a 4WD is not the main issue) It will be a big change going to a car but I commute 80mi/day when working in office and am looking for a more comfortable ride!

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
I can't help with your operation questions but I'll just add that you can now get AWD on the SXT and that car has the short spoiler in the front versus the SRT spoiler which hangs down more on GT, so if you're gonna need max clearance you may want to consider that.

Also I think with the 19" wheels and tires that you have a little more than 5" of ground clearance even though the specs might not show it.

You also get the old style hood on SXT which is either a good or bad thing depending on what you like.

With the block heater and cold weather group which includes heated seats, steering wheel and 180 amp alternator, it seems like a nice car for the winter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
In 2021 20 inch wheels are now standard on GT AWD, and available on SXT AWD

A Guy

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
But the 19's tires will be taller so probably better for the snow.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
If your talking having to go through substantial snow the durango all the way. The challengers low ground clearance and tire filling wheel wells that would pack with snow. the durango will triump. Add a set of tires like goodyear duratracs or nito ridge graplers or bfg ats and it would double the difference. Something that would just look dumb on a challenger.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I bought my AWD GT as a car that looks good but that can also go in the snow if need be. I'm not interested in a truck or an SUV, so it just gives me a better chance of getting where I'm going when I must go out in the snow, compared to another FWD or RWD car. I still try to avoid driving in the snow at all if I can.

Honestly, since I bought my GT about 2 years ago, it hasn't snowed much - I think my GT scared the snow away. :) The few times that I did use it on lightly-snow-covered roads, it did REALLY well - but no idea how it handles deeper snow yet. And of course, AWD still doesn't help you stop, so there is that... :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I live in Michigan, so we have snow here, sometimes a lot.

In the last five winters I’ve driven the following:

2014 Charger RT AWD
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
2017 Challenger GT AWD
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi

I will say this, while the Charger had AWD I knew it was not snow suitable in real winter conditions after driving it home in a freezing rain. It was too powerful and had no winter driving mode. The tires filled with snow fast and the car had no traction after that. That winter was brutal and lots of days I stayed home for fear of driving it. That necessitated the purchase of the Grand Cherokee in the fall of 2015. Again in 2016 I decided to try a less powerful Challenger GT. I drove it on all but the worst days. Lucky for me a buddy of mine and I work together and on those days we took his truck. By the next summer I was back in a Grand Cherokee because we had moved and I needed a winter vehicle.

Short version of the story is if you live in a snow belt state and can get four to five inches in 8 hours while at work, you don’t want a Challenger GT for winter driving. It all comes down to snow packed tires and ground clearance. I plan on driving mine occasionally as this year I was smart enough to keep a Jeep in the garage with the Challenger. The Jeep will be the primary driver. A Durango with a Hemi is a good choice if you want a SUV. It’s very similar to the Grand Cherokee and those are my preferred snow vehicle.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you can't get there in the GT no one needs to be out. The GT sits a little higher and the front spoiler (air dam) is much shorter so it doesn't drag. We had a few nasty snows in the last few years since I have had my GT and it's a beast in the snow.

I moved more rural 5 years ago which made AWD necessary because the roads don't get plowed as quickly and there were plenty of SUV's in my neighborhood that stayed home several days.

I later learned the whole neighborhood was talking about how crazy I was doing the "farm road" drive in a Challenger. Of course they didn't know the Challenger could be had in AWD.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I knew when I bought my SRT that it would just be too powerful for winter. It sits in the 3rd garage bay over winter on a battery tender. I drive a pickup over winter. On the plus side its got low mileage!

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
The GT sits a little higher and the front spoiler (air dam) is much shorter so it doesn't drag.
That changed for 2019 and the GT went to the SRT spoiler even for AWD and it's way lower, the SXT now is the only way to get the short spoiler.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That changed for 2019 and the GT went to the SRT spoiler even for AWD and it's way lower, the SXT now is the only way to get the short spoiler.

Good info. That’s kinda weird.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
They seemed to want to position the GT as more high end, adding the old single scoop SRT hood and various default features. Then they also announced the AWD SXT, and it became clear they wanted to differentiate them (and justify the higher price? ;) )

A Guy

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
If you can't get there in the GT no one needs to be out. The GT sits a little higher and the front spoiler (air dam) is much shorter so it doesn't drag. We had a few nasty snows in the last few years since I have had my GT and it's a beast in the snow.

I moved more rural 5 years ago which made AWD necessary because the roads don't get plowed as quickly and there were plenty of SUV's in my neighborhood that stayed home several days.

I later learned the whole neighborhood was talking about how crazy I was doing the "farm road" drive in a Challenger. Of course they didn't know the Challenger could be had in AWD.
youd sure spend alot of time at home here. We get around 300 inches a year (some countys near 400 inch) and theres probably 5 days a winter that the county even shuts down the road because of visibility and the fact they cant keep up plowing. Id say cars like a suburu with good narrow tires does fine though 95 percent of it. But a challenger wouldnt cut it. Its why probably 75 percent of the vehicles sold up here are 4x4 pickups and sport utilitys. That a challenger is not. Stay home? Not if you want to keep your job. Ive always said if nascar had one race up here in the snow and ice my mother would woop Jimmy Johnson in a race. We can always spot an out of the area driver. Our roads are snow and ice covered half the winter and after a could days of the first snows the locals drive just as fast on it as they do in the summer. Most dangerous part of it is having to pass all the other people driving 45. I was an electrical lineman for 30 years. We had to go to work. Some days was either a snowmobile or calling the country office to have a plow driver pick us up. What awd does for a challenger or charger is makes a terrible in the snow rear wheel drive SPORTS car as good as MAYBE a small front wheel drive car with snow tires. Its not in the same league as something like a durango. If you think so bottom line is you dont get SNOW. Heck ive seen 4x4 trucks stuck on the section of road between the little town i live in that goes along lake superior to the bigger small town everyone works at. Might cut it in detroit or chicago but not where a snow storm is measured in feet.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I run 275/40/20 Conti DWS06 tires on my 2017 Challenger and for 2 years I had a 140 mile daily commute to work that 6 months of that was on icey/snowy roads. I never had any issues but watched many car & trucks crash. I had one storm that dropped 2ft of snow that I still got around without any issues. Only problem was some snow buildup in parking lots & ground clearance. I carry tires socks in the trunk to stay legal but haven't needed them yet.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
youd sure spend alot of time at home here. We get around 300 inches a year (some countys near 400 inch) and theres probably 5 days a winter that the county even shuts down the road because of visibility and the fact they cant keep up plowing. Id say cars like a suburu with good narrow tires does fine though 95 percent of it. But a challenger wouldnt cut it. Its why probably 75 percent of the vehicles sold up here are 4x4 pickups and sport utilitys. That a challenger is not. Stay home? Not if you want to keep your job. Ive always said if nascar had one race up here in the snow and ice my mother would woop Jimmy Johnson in a race. We can always spot an out of the area driver. Our roads are snow and ice covered half the winter and after a could days of the first snows the locals drive just as fast on it as they do in the summer. Most dangerous part of it is having to pass all the other people driving 45. I was an electrical lineman for 30 years. We had to go to work. Some days was either a snowmobile or calling the country office to have a plow driver pick us up. What awd does for a challenger or charger is makes a terrible in the snow rear wheel drive SPORTS car as good as MAYBE a small front wheel drive car with snow tires. Its not in the same league as something like a durango. If you think so bottom line is you dont get SNOW. Heck ive seen 4x4 trucks stuck on the section of road between the little town i live in that goes along lake superior to the bigger small town everyone works at. Might cut it in detroit or chicago but not where a snow storm is measured in feet.
I’m from Minnesota. Of course not everywhere is going to be doable but the vast majority of the country has plows that can keep the snow under a foot.

·
Registered
2020 AWD GoMango SXT Blacktop
42 Posts
Even when snow is up to 4 or 6 inches, the SXT AWD is an amazing trailblazer (in my experience). Your drive style and mileage may vary. I learned to drive in the snow with FWD commuters and this car is leagues better in terms of snow performance, even with the stock all-season Pirelli P Zeroes. Literally just drove into work in pretty fresh wet snow without issue.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
The Police Charger Pursuits seem to manage with less ground clearance and shorter tires.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
our sheriff's dept doesnt do chargers anymore. Just because they were that great in any real snow. Now they do those ford sport utilitys and our chief drives a ram extended cab 4x4. Seems the state police up here are going the same way as i havent seen any newer chargers with there markings on them either. What they were and why they were so popular is much better then the cars they had before. They were not only better then a 2 wheel drive car but were a heck of alot more powerful then the older car. Dont get me wrong. If i had to choose a car and couldnt have a truck or sport utility a 4x4 charger or challenger would be at the top of my list. But the sport utility and especially the truck are hands down better in the snow. What they really are is a heck of alot better then a 2 wheel drive charger or challenger which would be almost dangerous on icy roads. But there more for places that measure snow in inches that lasts only days then for something up here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Am in Canada with an SXT AWD, its a 2020 so no real experience with any heavy snow yet but so far it has handled really well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts