Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a brand new 2019 Challenger GT. It currently has 1500 miles and I’ve had it for less than 2 months. And just yesterday the car would not start. The day before I noticed the startup was a little off and would crank regularly, I thought it was strange and figured I would take it to the dealer in the morning since it was already late at night. But morning came and the car would not start. I had to get it towed to the dealer. Mechanic was an idiot and so are the sales people at the dealer stating it was a battery issue. I’m like dude, if it was a battery issue which clearly it isn’t, the lights would not turn on, the horn would not beep. I told them clearly it was a engine issue. They just called me today after 24hrs of having the vehicle and they still don’t know what’s wrong with it.

At this point I don’t even want to keep that car anymore. I want a new model. I even called Dodge Customer Service and I have a case open up about it and I’m talking to a case manager about it.

Has anyone had an issue like this before? Do any of you guys have any tips or recommendations for me? I would greatly appreciate any help

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Could be a number of issues...bad fuel pump/fuel pump relay, bad crank or camshaft position sensors, bad PCM injector drivers..etc. 24hrs and no clue...that dealership is a joke...Jebus...it does not take that long to go through the diagnostic steps for no start in the FSM.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I thought so too. How can they not know what’s wrong with the car in that amount of time. But even if they fix the car. I don’t want it. I rather get a new one

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had a similar situation with my 2010. Does yours have the push button start??
Sometimes I try to start it and it would just crank. Other time it was normal. Couldnt find anything wrong.
Sent it to the dealer and after a few hours they figured that it was the alarm system malfunctioning. Thought I was trying to steal it. :oops:
It shut down the fuel system. If you opened and closed the driver door after a no-start-attempt it would fire right up.
May want to try doing that. May at least ID the problem...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Your lights can still come on, and your horn can still sound when the battery is low.

The battery is not an on/off type of thing. It can be low enough that it won't start the car but have enough charge to power other system.

For a car to be declared a lemon and bought back, you will need to work through the process. Read the laws for your state and document everything.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
There were quite a few folks that reported start issues with earlier year models (2010-2011) that were attributed to the Wireless Ignition Node module (I think there was a recall or a TSB) but considering the OP has a 2019 I would hope that is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a similar situation with my 2010. Does yours have the push button start??
Sometimes I try to start it and it would just crank. Other time it was normal. Couldnt find anything wrong.
Sent it to the dealer and after a few hours they figured that it was the alarm system malfunctioning. Thought I was trying to steal it. :oops:
It shut down the fuel system. If you opened and closed the driver door after a no-start-attempt it would fire right up.
May want to try doing that. May at least ID the problem...
Yes mine is the push start. I did close the door and re-open several times. Still nothing. I just don’t understand how the mechanics still don’t know what’s wrong with it

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yes mine is the push start. I did close the door and re-open several times. Still nothing. I just don’t understand how the mechanics still don’t know what’s wrong with it
Dealers are only as good as the talent they are willing to pay for. You may need to take your car to a different dealer with better techs.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Your lights can still come on, and your horn can still sound when the battery is low.

The battery is not an on/off type of thing. It can be low enough that it won't start the car but have enough charge to power other system.

For a car to be declared a lemon and bought back, you will need to work through the process. Read the laws for your state and document everything.
I had a situation a couple of years ago where my DS trinity drained my battery enough that it would crank but not start...but I remember the lighting bolt on the dash showing up. I threw my battery charger on jumper posts and it fired up.

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
Don't know how much you drive it or how long it sat on the lot but a low battery can cause all kinds of weird things to happen. I would hook up my CTEK MUS 4.3 and let it check and get that battery back into shape then you might be alright.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drive the car daily. But it’s less than 2 months old with 1500 miles. I shouldn’t be having these issues so early on. And I can’t do anything atm considering the car is in the dealer and I work long hours, so I won’t be able to make it back for a few days when I have a day off

·
Registered
186 Posts
If they can't or don't fix your car in a reasonable amount of time, it's Lemon Law time. I used Kimmel and Silverman and they were amazing! Their phone # is 1-800-LEMONLAW which is a pretty good indication of how long they've been at this. If you'd like to hear my story, PM me. Good luck....................the Mailman

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh, I should add that my successful lemon law claim was NOT FOR MY CHALLENGER!!!!!! It was for Mrs. Mailman's Ford...................OK, let the Ford bashing begin!!!!!!..........the Mailman

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Same thing happened to my GT. They towed it and it was a dead battery. That was probably at 5,000 miles and it’s now at 50,000 and it’s been perfect since.

I bet the dealership hasn’t even looked at it yet so they just say the mechanics don’t know yet. Wrong thing to do but it happens.

Give them a chance to make it right and see what was actually wrong before you get your panties in a wad it might be something simple.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I feel for you, this situation can make you sick to the stomach. I thinking like the Big Swede, they probably haven't looked at it yet, and it's probably something simple with the battery.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,839 Posts
Seems a little quick to sign the car off because it didn’t start one time. Get it somewhere where you may have better confidence in the dealer/service people.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm in the middle of a lemon law dispute with Dodge over a driveline vibration they cannot fix. In GA they get 3 attempts or 30 days out of service. Then they are entitled to a "Final repair attempt". They just sent out an engineer to evaluate my car last week. Lawyer still hasn't heard back from them yet. It's not super hard, but they do try to wear you out so you just give up and trade the car. Multiple trips to different dealers, etc. Lots of incompetence... Everything happens in 1 month increments, so I'm at month 8 now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I would be as pissed as you. That car is brand new though.
What other car would you want, i mean yours is a 2019 and has only 1500 miles on it. Hopefully its something simple and it will be fixed soon and on your way you go. Unfortunately some dealerships are horrible. I hope Dodgecares or another Dodge Corp person sees this and can help you.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Call and tell them to put a new battery in it and see what happens. Hope they gave you a loaner, smoke the tires off of it to relieve the pain.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts