Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am looking into possibly getting a GT but am on the fence. I had an SXT previously and it was fine. I had leased it because I was non-committal at the time and didn't want to be bothered with having to sell the car if I wasn't pleased with it. But it turned out to be a good car.

This time around, I would definitely not be leasing and would be purchasing instead. Many local Dodge dealers around my area are known for abysmal sales and after service practices. That is the main thing that is making me hesitate on pulling the trigger on getting the GT. If there were a nice reputable dealer in town, I'd be 75% convinced to get another Challenger, but since that's not the case, I need a bit more to get myself over the hurdle.

If you don't mind sharing, can you tell me the following?

1. Is there anything you do not like about your GT?
2. How much did you pay for your car? If you don't want to disclose that info, can you tell me what you think would be reasonable for me to pay for an RT with navigation and blind spot monitoring features (the 2 things I require- anything else is not that important to me). The MSRP for that configuration appears to be around $38K, but I don't know if I'm missing something in the picture.

Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Brought my GT home in Feb and after 6k miles I love it. MSRP was 40355.

Paid 36,690

I needed a daily driver and we get lots of snow up here in MA so I jumped at the AWD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. This is extremely helpful. It gives me a good frame of reference. Nice looking car you have and I quite like the stripe.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thank you very much. This is extremely helpful. It gives me a good frame of reference. Nice looking car you have and I quite like the stripe.

I paid extra to swap out the gas cap and spoiler for the Satin black that come in the SXT blacktop package

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I have a Destroyer grey GT as well with the same options PANIC. The only difference is I didn't get the stripe package because I am having some custom graphics made. But I did get the engine block heater and the MOPAR lifetime warranty because I am going to keep this car as well as my Scat Pack Shaker for as long as they last. I paid $ 38,500 for my GT with the lifetime warranty. This is my GT with the stock Scat Pack wheels and summer tires I will put the GT wheels and all season tires for winter. Also a mock up of what the custom graphics will look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great pix. Thank you. I hadn't thought of the lifetime warranty but should look into it because as of right now, I've become 99% sure that I'm getting the GT and when I do, I intend on keeping it a very long time as well.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
I don't have a GT, it's an SXT Plus with nav, sound group, convenience package (blind spot, HID etc) and Vapor package. Just as reference, I paid $6600 under MSRP. R/T Plus with the options you want are going for about 6-8k off depending on if it's 2016 0r 2017. There are a lot of 2016 left on lots.

I know what you mean about the dealership experience keeping you away. My local dealer had an excellent salesman I dealt with several times. Before and after those deals I went 140 miles away for much better price and treatment. My suggestion is to go on cars.com and the individual dealership sites within a range you are willing to travel. Check their prices and Yelp reviews. I don't trust other dealership review sites since I discovered that positive ratings get funneled to the dealership then to those sites and negative ratings go just to the dealership and get lost for the most part. I read between the lines on Yelp and you can tell when it's legit vs sour grapes plus when I read tactics I've personally dealt with over the decades, I know it's legit and to stay away. Also read the fine print on the sites and beware of reviews that mention mandatory add on's. At those dealerships, the price may look real good until you get hit with thousands in mandatory aftermarket junk. So I've found far better deals a couple hours away where there is more competition.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it looks like I'm going to have to pick the best of the worst when it comes to local dealers. Most of their yelp ratings are very low around here. I guess there is enough demand that they can afford to be dismissive and rude- exactly what you referenced regarding competition. I may just end up going back to the establishment where I got my previous car from because every other place that is even further away within a 50 mile radius has equivalent horrendous reviews. I figure if I'm going to get equally inefficient low quality service from these joints, I guess I'll just do it close to home. Thanks for the tip about the add ons. I will keep my eyes peeled!

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I am lucky to have a good dealer near my home just 10 miles away and have had good treatment prior to and during the ordering of both of my Challengers. I have checked out their service department and it looks like a clean orderly shop with mechanics that know what they are doing and I made many visits to the dealer while waiting for my cars to be delivered and always watched the service department and never saw any greasy handed guys moving cars in and out or hot rodding road tests. So I think I will be happy with any warranty work when it will be needed. I have a lift in my garage and do my own oil changes break pad replacements and about all the stuff not covered in the lifetime warrantys like when the Scat Pack needs a new clutch I will be doing it my self and probably install a better than stock since it's not covered I my as well use better more durable parts. here is my Scat Pack after I put on Hurst stunner wheels 20"x9" 245/45's in front and 20"x10" 275/40's on the rear. I still have room in the rear to go bigger so when I wear these out I am going to 295's next time

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did it. I pulled the trigger. Thanks for all the advice and sharing numerical figures to help me gauge the acceptable price range. I came in a few dollars shy of $37K. The only extras I have are driver convenience group and navigation. Oh and sunroof. I kind of didn't want the sunroof, but it was already embedded in the package for the car they are locating for me, so I just rolled with it. This time I purchased instead of leased. It'll be delivered next week.

Having been out of the car loop for a while, I've done a lot of catch-up car research lately and was really surprised to find how many cars that used to be V6 by default are now manufactured as 4 cylinders as the base model and once you opt for a V6 and AWD (if even available), the price for some unremarkable borderline ugly car jumps astronomically. And if you want at least an ok (but not great) looking car with a decent amount of power and awd, the price easily goes into the 50K+ range. Gulp. No thanks. That's out of my budget.

So I came to the conclusion that in this price range, the GT gives you the most bang for your buck in terms of styling, power, and functionality as compared to other cars in the same price range. The Challenger is great on its own right, but this time around I defaulted to it due to my perceived lack of better alternatives.

The dealer I went to this time is a bit further away than the one I had leased my previous Challenger from. I am not thrilled with this place either. They had a somewhat blase "take it or leave it" attitude. When I questioned what a certain charge was on the paperwork, the operations/sales manager snidely told me that if I didn't feel like paying for the charge and if I felt like it would break the bank, I could just cancel the deal altogether. Nice attitude, huh? I was pretty ticked, but at least he didn't throw my credit card back in my face and roll his eyes like the guy at the last dealership did 3 years ago. It's great how some people at dealerships are so warm and fuzzy until you decline to purchase extras that are extremely jacked up in price. Could they make their disgust at your not wanting to be ripped off any more obvious? What ever happened to professional courtesy?

I did not purchase any extended warranties at this time but may look into that after the fact. They tried to pressure me into $5,100 for a Chrysler lifetime warranty and stated I had to sign up now with no opportunity to do so later, but I knew it was a fib, so I declined.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes geography. I no longer have a backup car, so I needed this car to be an awd for the snow/ice or else I'd have had to get another car altogether. Also, I get terrible gas mileage with all the stop and go city driving.

Sorry if this doubleposted or something. Getting the hang of this app- it made me butterfingers and what I was previously writing disappeared and I had to start over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts