Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Wider, meaner and faster, the new 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody ups the big cat’s already astronomical performance credentials.

The widebody Hellcat pilfers the fender flares first seen on the Challenger SRT Demon that add 3.5 inches of girth and oodles of grip. Dodge claims the Hellcat Widebody is 2 seconds per lap quicker than a regular Hellcat around the 1.7-mile road course at FCA’s Chelsea Proving Grounds.

According to Dodge, the Hellcat Widebody was always planned to launch after the Demon, offering a high-performance alternative to those who miss out on the limited-run Dodge Challenger SRT Demon.

But it’s not just a wider track that helps the Hellcat hustle harder, new 20-inch 'Devil’s Rim' split-five-spoke aluminum wheels wrapped in 305/35ZR20 Pirelli P-Zero performance rubbers (much wider than the base car’s 275s) are partially responsible for the 0.04g increase in lateral grip, along with a 0.1 reduction in zero-to-60 time. It will be the 0.3-second ET reduction down the quarter mile that’s most important to the Hellcat community, however.
Read more about the Challenger Hellcat Widebody Brings More Grip, New Goodies at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Finally.

·
Super Moderator
13,397 Posts
The wider Pirelli Zero 305/35/20 tire with its huge 10.6 inches, should definitely improve traction over the 275/35/20 tire, that has .8 inch less width (9.8 inches).

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I'm more interested in knowing how much more rubber you could fit on those wheels.

They don't mention if the wheels are any wider.

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
Wheels could be better. Demon wheels look good, these not as much. Believe they are zero offset if anyone wants to start looking around.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that there were suspension mods, also.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
So $10K for fender flares and bigger wheels and tires? Wow.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Care to compare how much it would cost to add flares and a good set of 20x11 forged wheels wrapped in 305s?

I'll wait.
I know it's not cheap. However, the OEMs can do it cheaper than you and I can, especially since they're not replacing existing wheels and tires like we would be. They're starting from scratch. I was hoping there would be some more track-focused suspension mods, rather than what is basically a wheel and tire package. Yes, shaving two seconds off the lap time is impressive. But I was hoping for more in the hardware department. Don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome car.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
An exec at FCA must've got a hold of a JC Whitney Catalog....
"Your car will really look cool with these Fender Flares! 10 minute installation. No tools required. 3M Tape included."

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Also, on utube, the man that did the testing said the fat car, er I mean fat fender car was slower than a non-fat-cat in top speed due to fender flare drag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts