Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I finally got around to fixing the annoying gap where the front of the hood and rear of the front bumper cover meet on my 2016 Challenger. I originally found this method on the forum in a post by fellow member hunttriumph1500, so the real thanks goes to him. Anyway, while I was at it I took photos as I went along and poured them into a PDF file along with instructions for others to use who have the same problem. Hopefully this will be useful for others here.

Hood Gap Cure Tutorial

---------------------------------//----

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,937 Posts
Hey good job man!!! Yeah I figured this out on a hot morning in Las Vegas, in my garage, back in 2012? I was trying to understand how my Hemi Orange 2008 SRT could look so crappy with an ever increasing hood/bumper gap. Your instruction and photos are spot on!!!! Thanks for the kudos!!

Reactions: XLRRR8

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey good job man!!! Yeah I figured this out on a hot morning in Las Vegas, in my garage, back in 2012? I was trying to understand how my Hemi Orange 2008 SRT could look so crappy with an ever increasing hood/bumper gap. Your instruction and photos are spot on!!!! Thanks for the kudos!!
Thank YOU for figuring it out - we kind of "teamed up" on that one didn't we. :laugh2: Until I found your original tutorial I was just accepting the fact that that's the way it was built. Had some spare time and thought I'd give it a try last weekend and sure enough it worked perfectly! Have great Memorial Day weekend my friend - should be a perfect time to go out and cruise a bit here in our area - hope it's the same where you are :sunny:.

-----------------------------------//----

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi XLRRR8

Hhhmmm never noticed a huge gap on my Challenger, guess I will now.

More annoying to me is the mis-alignment of the tail lights on 08 - 14 models, maybe you can work out a fix for that?

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi XLRRR8

Hhhmmm never noticed a huge gap on my Challenger, guess I will now.

More annoying to me is the mis-alignment of the tail lights on 08 - 14 models, maybe you can work out a fix for that?

Regards

Dereck
Sorry...didn't mean to focus your attention on that hood gap - forget I mentioned that. :wink3:

Since you have the previous generation of our new Challengers, here's a link that might interest you to an older forum thread in regard to the rear tail lights being out of wack. Looks like somebody already found a possible cure to that issue.

----------------------------------------//----

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi XLRRR8

Many thanks for that link, however the link seems to address the horizontal alignment across the top of the lights but what about the vertical alignment when looking from the side of the car? My centre lights seem to stick out maybe a good 1/4 inch at the bottom tapering off to maybe an 1/8 or less at the top

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi XLRRR8

Many thanks for that link, however the link seems to address the horizontal alignment across the top of the lights but what about the vertical alignment when looking from the side of the car? My centre lights seem to stick out maybe a good 1/4 inch at the bottom tapering off to maybe an 1/8 or less at the top

Regards

Dereck
Sometimes it seems the factory was certainly not too concerned with fit and finish on our cars - especially the earlier years. That problem might be caused by the light assembly not properly seating on the sheet metal where the mounting studs go into the holes. Maybe take the wing nuts off inside the trunk and make sure nothing is preventing them from fitting down tightly onto the sheet metal panel underneath them (such as plastic molding flash) on backside of the plastic tail light assemblies. Also check that the studs themselves freely go into the mounting holes and aren't binding in the holes. That's about all I can think of. Photos of what you're referring to would likely help as well.

------------------------------------------//----

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi XLRRR8

I have had the centre light bar off to reconfigure the lights to meet Euro requirements and was extra attentive when refitting to make sure they were seated correctly to try and cure the problem, seems to me the deckled wants pushing in at the bottom (amongst other things), guess as you said quality control at Dodge isn't (wasn't) what it could be and not much can be done to rectify this annoyance.

Here is the view from the left

And here is the view from the right

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi XLRRR8

I have had the centre light bar off to reconfigure the lights to meet Euro requirements and was extra attentive when refitting to make sure they were seated correctly to try and cure the problem, seems to me the deckled wants pushing in at the bottom (amongst other things), guess as you said quality control at Dodge isn't (wasn't) what it could be and not much can be done to rectify this annoyance.

Regards

Dereck
The only other thing I can think of would be if it was in any sort of rear end collision at some point in its life? Sometimes if you go and try to fix something like that it ends up being impossible or you end up making matters worse. The hood gap was pretty simple, but this is something more complicated I think. Best to accept it as it is I say. :wink3:

I must say that red is a very nice color...the white stripes really go with it too!

Thanks Dereck,

---------------------------------------------//----

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi XLRRR8

The car definitely hasn't been in a collision

It is a 2012 (built 11/2011) and spent the first two years of its life in a dealers showroom as a crowd puller covering just 124 miles in this time, before, lets say an older gentleman purchased it. Over the next few years he put minimal mileage on the car with it spending most of its time stored in a warehouse before I bought it in January this year at only 15,208 miles.

Thanks for the compliment on the colour, that is what first drew my attention to the car, it is called Redline 3 Pearl (code PRY)

I will most likely investigate this problem again after my IVA test and if I do come up with any sort of cure will be sure to post it up

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,937 Posts
I would just either find why it's sticking out or shim the bottoms of the outer lights to match lol!

I am pretty sure this is the first one I have ever seen like that! But, I don't think I ever got down and looked that closely from that angle either, hmmm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts