Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's our Challengers hood made out of? I never thought about it too much before but now that I've done this:

I'm hoping it's not going to rust out down the road. The hood pin kit is a new Mopar product I had my dealer install yesterday. Overall I'm extremely happy with the quality of the pins, brackets and the work done. I'll get more pics later if anyones interested.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Pretty sure its aluminum. Too light to be steel. Didn't look like fiberglass when a sawed a hole in the top of my TA hood.

·
Registered
939 Posts
How much was that kit?

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Most of dodge's cars have aluminium hoods. My charger does. I think even dodge's mini van does. Fenders and body is steal. Grab a magnet off your fridge and check it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you worried about the paint at the base of the hood? Won't it get scratched?
A little worried but I can delete the cables I guess if it looks like that's going to be an issue. The cables are sheathed in plastic however. I'll try the mag trick, duh! Why didn't I think of that? Anyhow the kit's $300 and the dealer gave me his 15% ChallengerTalk discount. He's a Challenger enthusiast too. But I have the piece of mind (not to mention the piece of paper saying the Dodge dealer did it) that it's a Dodge installed factory part. The kit looks great in person, best I've seen yet. The large pin plates (trapezoidal 5x8" or so each plate) install under the plastic piece that covers the radiator etc so they only make a small hole through that which gets covered up with a rubber grommet. Thanks again for the above mentioned magnet trick I'll go chech right now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just checked. Not magnetic. Magnet grabs the fenders, doors , roof etc. but the hood is not a ferrous magnet attracting rust, attracting metal whatever it is. Thanks again!

·
Registered
954 Posts
i like the hood pin look,always have too! i had a 70 with them when i was a teenager and thought it was''cool'', yea i stuck a magnet to my hood a few months ago because i noticed water would drip from the holes underneath whenever i washed it,i was concerned it would rust but i guess its ok since its aluminum.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
The OEM hoods are manufactured out of aluminum.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks great!!! take a picture of the underside of the hood and the pin coming thru the plastic.

i want to do this as well
Just took those very pics and will get them posted tomorrow evening after I get off from work. Promise.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i got my daughters crunched hood back from the body shop yesterday,it felt really light so i got the bathroom scales and its about 25 lbs. in comparisson a smaller 74 toyota celica hood i have is 47 lbs. its puzzling to me that the new challenger is around 4000 lbs with all the plastic,aluminum and thin steel,maybe the floor pans are really thick?

·
Registered
939 Posts
i got my daughters crunched hood back from the body shop yesterday,it felt really light so i got the bathroom scales and its about 25 lbs. in comparisson a smaller 74 toyota celica hood i have is 47 lbs. its puzzling to me that the new challenger is around 4000 lbs with all the plastic,aluminum and thin steel,maybe the floor pans are really thick?
That's what I was thinking. Think how heavy it would be if it actually had a frame.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
its all the inner safety structures and stuff. the sound deadener, the speakers, the seat mechanisms, the glass, the frame stiffeners.

have you ever tried to jack up one wheel? the whole side of the car rises. Try that on an older challenger and only one wheel goes up. thats body flex. these cars are built like tanks and weigh close to them

1 - 20 of 24 Posts