Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,421 Posts
if it was coolant, it would be green or purple, smell like coolant, etc.
oil is brown/honey colored and so on with all other fluids.
Once you figure out what it is? and perhaps indicate where the leak seems to be located at on the car? this could go along way to figuring out if its legit leak or just typical a/c evap.
That looks like plain 'ol water to me.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,010 Posts
If that is straight water, and it appears to be from the photo, it could not be coming from the engine or transmission, as neither uses straight water for anything.

I can’t say why it’s leaking down the side of the transmission, but if it’s worrying you that something has sprung a leak, I would say that isn’t the case.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
Surely this was a one time thing and not something it does every time you drive the car now, right?

If so (one time only), I wouldn’t worry about it.

If it does this every time the engine is running though, well that might be worth worrying about...

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,427 Posts
Getting stuck on a ramp and the leaking fluid could be coincidence.

As others have mentioned the fluid has to be identified. Coolant? Engine oil? Transmission fluid? Brake fluid? Windshield washer fluid? Water from a blocked body drain basin?

My advice is you need to get the car in and have a tech look at this and determine the fluid type. From this he can then pinpoint the source of the leak.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
377 Posts
Stick your finger in it and see what it tastes like. A little bit won't kill you, and it's the surest way to quickly tell what it is. Looks like snow melt or A/C condensate to me.

Cheers,

JD

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
377 Posts
AC condensate at this time of year??? I doubt it.
Really? I run mine every time I drive the car. Depends on your climate. Here in TX, it's on continuously. But I travel to MN for business quite frequently. Up there? Not so much. Like I said, depends on where you live...

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
768 Posts
I'm going to agree with TXRT, anytime I see what appears to be water under the car, my first thought is condensation from the HVAC system drain. If I am trying to diagnose it, a little taste will tell me what it is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Really? I run mine every time I drive the car. Depends on your climate. Here in TX, it's on continuously. But I travel to MN for business quite frequently. Up there? Not so much. Like I said, depends on where you live...
It depends on where you live but at this time of year with heat and humidity low I'd be surprised if its AC condensate even if running your AC. Btw, I'm in Arizona so im familiar with running the AC year round.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
The AC runs when the defroster is on to remove moisture from the air

A Guy

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
You should run the a/c year round wherever you live, if it's too cold you just adjust the temperature. Maybe not every minute behind the wheel but every time you drive it you should run it at least a few minutes. Worst thing you can do for any a/c compressor and system is to not use it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
You should run the a/c year round wherever you live, if it's too cold you just adjust the temperature. Maybe not every minute behind the wheel but every time you drive it you should run it at least a few minutes. Worst thing you can do for any a/c compressor and system is to not use it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That is part of the reason behind the programming in modern HVAC systems that will automatically engage the a/c when the defroster setting is utilized. That guarantees the a/c compressor is run periodically during the winter when it would normally be sitting idle for weeks at a time.

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
That is part of the reason behind the programming in modern HVAC systems that will automatically engage the a/c when the defroster setting is utilized. That guarantees the a/c compressor is run periodically during the winter when it would normally be sitting idle for weeks at a time.
it also works better for clearing the windows when they fog up.

I remember GM cars in the 70s did this, while Chrysler didn't. I'd notice my parent's cars (GM) did a better job defogging the windows. In later years, Chrysler incorporated that feature into their systems as well

so what I would do is put a/c on, turn heat up to the temperature I wanted and then the glass would defog quickly and completely (like the GM cars would do)

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
it also works better for clearing the windows when they fog up.

I remember GM cars in the 70s did this, while Chrysler didn't. I'd notice my parent's cars (GM) did a better job defogging the windows. In later years, Chrysler incorporated that feature into their systems as well

so what I would do is put a/c on, turn heat up to the temperature I wanted and then the glass would defog quickly and completely (like the GM cars would do)
None of the pre-90’s GM vehicles I ever drove had a working A/C. In fact, none of them even had it originally from the factory. So it wasn’t like they used to be A/C before I got them and it died, they never had cold air blowing out the vents (except maybe in winter after the heater had failed).

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
377 Posts
It depends on where you live but at this time of year with heat and humidity low I'd be surprised if its AC condensate even if running your AC. Btw, I'm in Arizona so im familiar with running the AC year round.
Oh yeah, AZ is DRY! I'd be surprised if you have condensate any time of the year there, haha! Here in North TX, it's pretty humid here all the time. I get drips anytime I run mine, year-round.

Cheers!

JD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.