Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago my wife and I loaded the Challenger with our tent and all the other camping bits and headed down to England’s south coast.
Needing some shopping this morning I went to the Challenger and it wouldn’t unlock on the fob. Ok, perhaps the fob is dead? Got the spare fob out and it too wouldn’t unlock the car!
Surprised, but perhaps I had left my dash cams running and flattened the battery I organised for someone to come and assist.
When they arrived I used the key to unlock the door, but as soon as I put the my hand under the handle the lights flashed and everything came to life. The car started without assistance and only anomaly I noticed that was the the car started in normal mode and not sport mode (Tazer installed).
I have just unmarried the Tazer and will unplug it later on but I’m worried the Tazer is not the cause and something else is giving trouble.
Anyone had anything similar happen?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
No Tazer experience and while it has to be a suspect in this case I'm more inclined to believe the car suffered from a low battery power condition. You might want to have the battery checked -- at the same time check all connections at the battery and at the other end of where the battery cables connect -- and then confirm the alternator is producing sufficient power to power the car and at the same time recharge the battery. And that the alternator does this from cold start but is still able to do this after some run time. I had another car's alternator work ok from cold start but in about 30 minutes its output started to drop.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
After un-marrying the Tazer in the car park of the supermarket I drove it back to the campsite and then unplugged the taser.
The gauges showed a healthy 14v of charging the entire way and so far I’ve not been able to repeat it.

We squeezed our tent, fridge etc etc in the Challenger and although both trunk and back seat were full i could have squeezed more small stuff in.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
OK, someone has to ask, what is this? I assume there were children involved, please? Or is that a beach towel?
Either way, nice picture, the only thing I would like would be being around other people while camping.

Reactions: Marpurr

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,101 Posts
The “ boot” of the Challenger can hold quite a bit of stuff. I think it’s great that you brought it camping. I’ll bet you have the slickest camping rig in the entire campground.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, someone has to ask, what is this? I assume there were children involved, please? Or is that a beach towel?
Either way, nice picture, the only thing I would like would be being around other people while camping.
View attachment 1002960
It’s a beach towel. Actually a throwback from visiting the Dominican Republic 16 years ago!
They are many other people around but I concentrated the picture on the Challenger and our tent.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
It's gotta be a nightmare/thrill driving that nice big rig along those narrow country lanes in the UK. I saw where the hedgerows had grooves beat into them from peoples mirrors they were so narrow. People must freak when you come around the corner, and they are in their little Mini Cooper, trying to look cool.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,598 Posts
It could be quite a few things that caused it to not open. I'd bet the battery being low may have had something to do with it. Have you checked the key fob batteries? Just a guess because it's cheap and easy to change them before looking at something else. Did you throw any codes on the screen (CEL/check engine light)?

You could've opened the car with the key too though and see if the lights came on or the engine would've started too.

That's a pretty Wicked looking tent that you have there too! (y)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's gotta be a nightmare/thrill driving that nice big rig along those narrow country lanes in the UK. I saw where the hedgerows had grooves beat into them from peoples mirrors they were so narrow. People must freak when you come around the corner, and they are in their little Mini Cooper, trying to look cool.
There is an element of that but I prefer to come to a stop where it’s that narrow so we can pass without damage.
I’ve been piloting American cars in the UK since 1993 so it’s second nature for me.
As for the coolest rig - without any doubt. At night it wears its Covercraft cover but once the dew has dried in the morning I put the cover away and let the yellow jacket and sheer presence of the Challenger be admired!

It could be quite a few things that caused it to not open. I'd bet the battery being low may have had something to do with it. Have you checked the key fob batteries? Just a guess because it's cheap and easy to change them before looking at something else. Did you throw any codes on the screen (CEL/check engine light)?

You could've opened the car with the key too though and see if the lights came on or the engine would've started too.

That's a pretty Wicked looking tent that you have there too! (y)
My personal diagnosis pointed at the Tazer as it didn’t start in sport mode as normal. I could be wrong but not wanting to get stuck away from home I thought my actions were appropriate.
I will re-marry the Tazer and see how things go when I’m back home, but right now everything is ok. Will check again in the morning.
The tent is made by Zempire and is made for the unpredictable and often inclement weather of New Zealand. Being an air-beam tent it’s pitching time and wind resistance has been really useful.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The “ boot” of the Challenger can hold quite a bit of stuff. I think it’s great that you brought it camping. I’ll bet you have the slickest camping rig in the entire campground.
I have carried a 50 qt ARB refrigerator in mine as well as upright MFCs. Big trunk.
Product Metal

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
A Boot.....:oops:.......next thing your going to tell me that the car has a Bonnet.....:eek::LOL:
My boots are in my closet ready for the snow....;)
Tent is big enough for the owners and the car if the weather gets bad..(y)
Looks like fun.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Maybe he's Canadian...

A Guy

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
After un-marrying the Tazer in the car park of the supermarket I drove it back to the campsite and then unplugged the taser.
The gauges showed a healthy 14v of charging the entire way and so far I’ve not been able to repeat it.

We squeezed our tent, fridge etc etc in the Challenger and although both trunk and back seat were full i could have squeezed more small stuff in.
View attachment 1002943
Removing the Tazer given your situation was a good idea. That it appeared to be the culprit is surprising. It is possible the Tazer suffered from some hardware failure which affected vehicle CAN bus communication.

Years ago worked on an OBD2 compatible trip/data logging plug in device. The company sold thousand of these. There were a few failures -- fortunately just a handful -- but not one interfered with the car and its OBD2 communication.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,101 Posts
It is very obvious that you know all about the finer things in life as well as it’s simple pleasures. Well done sir.

·
Registered
193 Posts

View attachment 1002943

Pah . . . you could get all that in the back of a Caterham . . . well, maybe a bit behind the seats . . .under the passengers legs . . . under the bonnet . . . strapped to the roll bar . . .

What you actually need is a tow bar (trailer hitch) and a 3" rise ball mount with a 50mm bolt on ball - then you can tie a caravan behind :) Problem is forgetting the thing is there . .

Slightly more seriously, I do find the fold down seats extremely useful - other than the flippin headrests having to be jammed into the back of the front seats when down - to carry all sorts of stuff

Round here, its mostly my mirrors putting the grooves . . in both sides at the same time!

Problem when some idiot does catch your mirror at 50mph and send the glass out into the darkness (although they managed to miss the Transit van I was following), the glass isn't exactly off the shelf in the UK

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts