Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I drive a 2016 scatpack challenger with only 12.8k miles. I got it in the middle of may with 9.6k miles. For some reason, at speeds of 130 mph+ I start hearing a weird errrrr errrrr, noise in the car as if someone were scratching on a chalk board. I also hear this noise at crusing speeds, but it's not as common nor as loud. Im thinking it could be a bad wheel bearing. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
739 Posts
A bad wheel bearing will make noise at all speeds and get louder as you go faster.
A bad bearing sounds like louder road noise from tires but its the bearing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bad wheel bearing will make noise at all speeds and get louder as you go faster.
A bad bearing sounds like louder road noise from tires but its the bearing.
Yeah it may be a bad wheel bearing. The noise is constant at all speeds. But say I hit the pedal it'll get louder and louder. I'll check into getting new wheel bearings.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Wheel bearing is a reasonable explanation for the noise you hear.

Arrange to lift the car up by its factory sanctioned body lift points which will have the wheels/tires unloaded and check each wheel/tire assembly for any excessive free play. Grasp the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and check for any wiggle. Then move to 3 and 9 o'clock and repeat. Go around the car twice. The wheel/tire with the most play is probably the wheel with the bad bearing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts