Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went to visit a bud of mine and his 3 yr old saw my Challenger and says, "That's a transformer!". I then asked why he thought that, and my bud says his 3 yr old watched the transformers movie..

For those playing the home game, Challenger isn't featured in the transformers movie and I deem this; Challenger Marketing Fail: A 3yr old perspective.

On the brighter side, Jalopnik has an awesome burnout video of the 2012 SRT8 Challenger and Charger.

2012 SRT8 Challenger & Charger Burnout Video

·
Registered
389 Posts
If its any consolation - my wife refers to my black SRT as the "batmobile." I actually kind of like the name....

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
my kids call my hemi orange challenger " the general", atleast they are refering to a mopar

·
Registered
91 Posts
Chrysler could really do some great ads with this car. But they don't. The same thing happened when the Jeep Commander was brought to market. I don't remember any ads of significance that brought that vehicle into general public's recognition. It was built and on it's own to be sold.

The promotion of the Challenger is very weak. Between good advertising and good after the sale customer service, Chrysler has a lot of ground to gain.

Maybe the number are such that it's not doable yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Transformers was probably the most important marketing device the camaro has going for it. sort of a lucky break for GM i think. don't get me wrong -- it's a fine car. but that movie was a turbo boost for its brand recognition. meanwhile, the mustang is a cultural icon on its own, plus it's been around forever in a million different incarnations.

the challenger has neither of those things going for it, so Chrysler HAS to ante up with the marketing and really push to get the name "challenger" to be less obscure, or resign themselves to selling a very small number of units (despite a more head-turning product!)

·
Registered
148 Posts
the challenger has neither of those things going for it, so Chrysler HAS to ante up with the marketing and really push to get the name "challenger" to be less obscure, or resign themselves to selling a very small number of units (despite a more head-turning product!)
These guys at Chrysler aren't idiots.They know how to market a product. Jeep, Durangos and other Chrysler cars are all over the place.

I get the feeling that they are doing with the Challenger simply what they want to do with it. They want to keep it a niche "special" car that Moparheads and old school car guys are going to flock to, and don't want to saturate the market with them like Ford has done with the Mustang, or GM is doing with the Camaro. I don't know about you guys but I'm fine with that. Oversaturation cheapens the product.
The Mustang has turned into a dime-a-dozen car, and the Camaro has been helped by gimmicks (Transformers) and has been designed to appeal to the masses. Young kids, teenagers and college kids,or twentysomething year olds who care little (if at all) about the car's heritage. There's nothing special about the Camaro.

Is this what muscle car MOPAR guys or the target audience for the Challenger wants? Sure doesn't seem like it to me. All the Challenger owners and people that I see on this site own theirs for it's no-gimmicks purity and because they appreciate the legendary MOPAR heritage behind it.

I think Chrysler/Dodge knows this, and is treating the car as most MOPAR fans would want to see the car treated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is this what muscle car MOPAR guys or the target audience for the Challenger wants? Sure doesn't seem like it to me. All the Challenger owners and people that I see on this site own theirs for it's no-gimmicks purity and because they appreciate the legendary MOPAR heritage behind it.

I think Chrysler/Dodge knows this, and is treating the car as most MOPAR fans would want to see the car treated.
Amen Brother

I don't understand the preocupation with how Dodge is marketing the Challenger, as far as I and many others Challenger owners are concerned it is right on the money. The last thing I want is to be like the camaro & mustang, you can't swing a dead cat around here with out hitting about ten of each. I personally don't care if someone else doesn't know what kind of car I'm driving, The slight drop of their jaw and their wide eye's when I drive by are all the satisfaction I need.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Young kids, teenagers and college kids,or twentysomething year olds who care little (if at all) about the car's heritage. There's nothing special about the Camaro.

People that bought this car in the 70s were once "Young kids, teenagers and college kids,or twentysomething year olds who care little (if at all) about the car's heritage." They only care about it now because they are nostalgic and remind them of their younger years.

Ironically enough, when I saw the 2006 Challenger concept, I thought it reminded me of the 68-69 Camaro. I really had no idea what a Challenger was until I started educating myself on it and developing an appreciation. Even more ironic is when my bud's 3yr old goes to buy his nostalgic car in the future and thinks back to that "Transformers" Camaro car he saw rather than the Dodge Challenger that he actually sat in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Surprise, I'm 22 years old driving around in a 392. The marketing of the challenger didn't convince me to purchase this vehicle, it was the a combination of different aspects of the vehicle. First off, the body shape. I believe this vehicle truly captures the original muscle car style with the combination of modern technology. I think the balance of the two has created a special car which will turn heads and create a buzz wherever it goes. I never liked the mustang and the interior of a camero is disappointing. Our vehicles are truly special and with the lower production numbers and sales, this vehicle will continue to turn heads. If I could make one suggestion to dodge it would be to push the challenger name. Rerun the "Freedom" commercial and make strides in bringing back the recognition this car deserves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts