Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Challenger noob needing V6 Info

8K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  vpzyck 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Just joined, looking to get some insight about the V6 Challengers.

Sorry to disappoint the V8 guys reading this. I currently have a Chevy Colorado
lease that is up at the end of the year and looking to get a challenger.

I'm a former Mustang owner. Have owned a few mustangs (2x over 500+rwhp)
and used to drag race a bunch of them. Not doing that anymore. I'm 36 now
looking to get a new Daily Driver that is ~$300/mo payments, AWD that can
handle snow
(I'm in NJ), gets 30+ MPG, and is 300+hp. Naturally, the V6 Charger
and V6 Challenger are the only cars that fit that bill currently. Chevy and Ford
have no competition with what I'm looking for sadly. And I've had 2x BMW leases
prior (and work for BMW) so I'm not looking to get another of those either.

From my homework thus far, I've learned I want the following (I'll update as I learn more):
- BLACK 2015+ Model (I like that grille and design, and I can't get away from black cars)
- Blacktop Package

Questions to you:
- Whats the Insurance like on the V6s? I'm paying $99/mo for the Colorado now.
- What models have AWD? Is it only the 2017+ models? Do all SXTs have AWD?
- From the 2015-2020 models available, which is the best year/trim & why would you say?
- Any regrets about your current V6 if you own one? (OTHER than you wish you had a V8) =)
- I'm Lazy. Is Remote Start a thing for Challengers? It Standard or an Option or a Retrofit?

Feel free to post pics of your challengers. =)

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome again, I can give you some answers from my opinion

Questions to you:
- Whats the Insurance like on the V6s? I'm paying $99/mo for the Colorado now.

Hard to say, every individual/state/area different. Likely not more than your truck I'd think

- What models have AWD? Is it only the 2017+ models? Do all SXTs have AWD?

Yes, 2017+ only. 2017-2018 The V6 GT only. 2019 you can get both a SXT and a GT AWD. The 2019 GT has what used to be the SRT hood. All SXT's do not have AWD, and only this year is an AWD version available. The SXT in either AWD or RWD is the only model with the classic power bulge hood

- From the 2015-2020 models available, which is the best year/trim & why would you say?

Unable to speak to 2020 as no info, still in 2019. It will depend on what styling you want. 2019 finds the GT as more than just the AWD version of the SXT. In addition to the hood, there is Performance Pages, steering and suspension changes as well. If you want AWD, you are looking at 2017-2018 GT, or 2019 SXT AWD/GT AWD Interiors/engine/transmission remain the same

- Any regrets about your current V6 if you own one? (OTHER than you wish you had a V8) =)

No regrets, it's an awesome engine. Quiet, so if you like some sound, you are changing the exhaust.

- I'm Lazy. Is Remote Start a thing for Challengers? It Standard or an Option or a Retrofit?

I can't say for sure. See posts with people adding it, not sure when it's available. if it is, automatic only, so not an issue for any AWD version

Have a play looking at options

https://www.dodge.com/build.challenger.2019#/zipcode

Our earliest info and discussion that followed

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/2019-challenger-information-thread-658103/

A Guy

Reactions: fida
#3 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 GT (V6, AWD), that did not have remote start. I had an OEM remote start added at the dealership and it cost me $695. It comes with (2) new keyfobs, which have the remote start button. Once added, it's just like having remote start from the factory *except* you cannot remote start from the Uconnect app. Apparently, that only works if the car came with remote start from the factory for some reason.

After having it added, I found that some dealerships will add it for less $$$, so if you have a few around, check around and see if you can find one that does it cheaper. You can install it yourself, but it's a PITA and you'd still have to take it to a dealership to get it activated anyway. For me, it wasn't worth the hassle, so I just paid them to install it.

The remote start has been working great. It even activates the heated steering wheel and heated seats when it's cold out. I think it will do the same for the cooled seats as well in the summer, but haven't owned it long enough to know for sure. :)

If it helps I paid about $28k for my 2018 GT with ~3k miles on it. I'm in PA.

#4 ·
Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback. That was all really helpful information. I did not know it was
the 2017+ models only that had AWD. Thats for sure important to me.

And yes $600+ for remote start is quite an expensive add-on. Worth it im sure in the winters! haha
But not sure i'd buy that then if it is not with the car. I'd rather buy extra wheels/tires for winter, etc.

I have seen prices of the V6 all over the place though. I've seen a few 2017+ listed for 20k with under
30miles online. I guess they must not be GT models. I'll have to revise my searching perhaps to make
sure I'm looking at GTs.

I debated a lease on the new 2019s, but i've had 3 leases now and i've never put more than $1,000 down
and I've kept all my payments below $350/mo. I can't seem to get a challenger lease for that unless i put
more down. I'll have to take another look later in the year as they want to try and sell more before the
2020 models come out perhaps. Hoping for some year-end incentives (my lease is up in Dec, prob was
looking to exchange or get out of the lease a month or two early perhaps).

#5 ·
Yeah, for me, $695 for the OEM remote start was worth it. I got used to remote start on my last few cars and hated not having it - so $700 more for a $28k car was a not a big deal to me. Over the life of the car, I'll EASILY get $700 worth out of that remote start - I literally remote start my car every time I use it when leaving my house... :)

You can buy the OEM remote start kit for like $300 I think if you install it yourself, but then you need to pay a dealership to enable it too. PLus, in my case, I only had one keyfob and needed another, so I got an additional keyfob out of the deal as well...

I'm sure you can get aftermarket remote starts cheaper. I personally wanted OEM though.

#6 ·
Welcome to the V-6 lovers club.

My insurance is about $100 a month, so it's what you are paying now.

I believe from 2015 to 2017 you had to have the driver's convenience group to get the remote start. It's now standard if you have an automatic, which all V-6's are. I went with the driver's convenience group just for that blind spot detection in the side view mirrors. I never had remote start before, but MAN is that great!

So, from 2015 up until 2019, no real major changes until they added all wheel drive.

#10 ·
I leased a stripped sxt in november of '16 - 12k miles $2000 total down $241/mo for 24 months - bought it at the end this past nov for 17k - worked out great (dealers were getting 19-21k for comparable cars) - why are you convinced you need awd? ive driven mine everyday for the past 3 winters - still on the original all season tires - this year I added posi (lsd in modern muscle speak) and its more capable (and way more fun) - with snow tires it will be a beast - picked up some new summer wheels and tires and going to put snows on the stock rims next year - if you consider rwd it opens up far more cars at considerably less money - and you get a car that is quicker and more fun to drive when its nice - rwd was all I had growing up, and we had just as much snow then.....just my $.02

#12 · (Edited)
The AWD is necessary because i'll be giving in my 4x4 Colorado truck for the challenger. And while I have
a great commute now (6-8min/5miles up a hill), I am applying to other jobs out in PA. So I may be moving
out there. I also like to have options, and having 1 car that does it all i like the idea of. Sure there are cheaper
AWD cars out there i'm sure, but doubt any that look as good. If you think you have some that will meet
my requirements on the 1st post hit me up. I'd be curious to see them.

If AWD was to be excluded, I would without a doubt go back to the high horsepower sports car...likely 2015
to 2017 Mustang GT for around $5k cheaper than the lease/finance on a new 2019 GT Challenger. So. =D
But I've done the 500+hp mustang in the rain/snow before on street tires. It's not a good look.

I'm older now and on the Fire Dept in town. I am trying to be more responsible these days. And while
saving money (and getting a nicer car perhaps) is important, I kind of think AWD is necessary if you only
have 1 car in the North East.

#11 ·
I think you are making a great decision. The V6 guys love their cars, my cousin had a GT and loved it too much, was nervous about parking it in parking lots so he went to a 4wd Ford truck.. :( We no longer speak! I drove it and it lacked for nothing, (I am a Hemi owner). It was powerful enough to land you in jail, had nice options, it was the "Plus" package, same as my R/T Plus, except 2 cylinders and mine has a sunroof. You won't be disappointed.

#13 ·
I live in The People’s Republic of Massachusetts and ordered my car on 1 Jan and brought my 2017 GT home in March of 2017. I absolutely love it and it is a beast in the snow and icy streets we have here. I commute 40 miles a day on backroads with no problems. Getting on the highway is the highlight of my day(sad I know). Bought it fully loaded except for the HK stereo. Paid 35k. I think you’ll love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
Welcome! I have a loaded factory order 2015 SXT Plus (super track pack) and I love it. It’s painted a glorious Phantom Black Pearl, so I’m with you on black cars. I have about 30,000 miles on the car, and it’s been utterly dependable, will return close to 30 mpg on the highway, and other than my old Lexus LS400, is the most comfortable car I’ve had. I chose this car over the V8 for the following reasons; quiet no rumble cruising, 50/50 weight distribution and overall lighter weight, which both translate to better handling (very important to me) and in my experience excellent build quality. The Mercedes Benz E Class frame from the collaboration between Dodge Chrysler and Mercedes gives this car a solid feel on the road that frankly surprised me. And that V6 is plenty for the places where I do my driving. I’ve had a Camaro Z28 with that sweet LS1 Corvette engine, so I know something about V8 engines. The SXT Plus is a different driving experience, but as a daily driver, it’s the best option for me. I think you’re going to agree once you spend time in that car. Good luck to you!

#15 ·
- Whats the Insurance like on the V6s? currently i have AAA i live in cali i pay $295 i got the car when i was 19 in 2016
- What models have AWD? Is it only the 2017+ models? Do all SXTs have AWD?no idea on this
- From the 2015-2020 models available, which is the best year/trim & why would you say?i like the 2015 style not sure about others haven't really kept up
- Any regrets about your current V6 if you own one? (OTHER than you wish you had a V8) =) well the dam screen on the radio needs a bigger one and a lower suspension but not really much
- I'm Lazy. Is Remote Start a thing for Challengers? It Standard or an Option or a Retrofit? ive seen this lady at the gym that has an srt and she always uses her remote start idk if its stock dont feel like talking to her

#16 ·
I have had mine for a year and a half and I have no regrets about getting a V6 or AWD. The V6 is more than powerful enough to enter the parkway or pass on the highway. Mine is a daily driver and the AWD is great in the rain as well which you will deal with a hell of a lot more than the snow. And speaking of snow - boy is it fun to drive in the snow! Remote start is great to have even though I don't use it much since I park it in the garage. I highly recommend the driver convenience group as the blind spot detector makes changing lanes so much easier. Hope this help.

#17 · (Edited)
I've had my 2017 GT for almost 2 years & have almost 60K miles on it. Bought the GT as a daily driver since at least 3 months/year I driver on snowy/icey conditions. I haven't had any driving issues so far and love the 30+ mpg. My best on a full tank drive was 35.5 mpg. With my upgraded wheels/tires (275/40/20) the handling improved as well. Pulling 1.1G lateral is easy to do as I carve thru the mountains roads by me. I do wish it had a V8 though.

#18 · (Edited)
Why am I finding on dodge's website, that an R/T with $3k+ MORE options is CHEAPER than an AWD GT to finance/lease?
That seems odd and sure is making decision making difficult lol

Is the AWD and automatic just that much more pricey? damn.

You're telling me this R/T shaker below is cheaper than the AWD GT? Jesus we have problems... lol

Attachments

#21 ·
It’s the voodoo math they’re using to come up with that monthly payment. Lower monthly payment on car that cost ~4000 more. The GT is cheaper than the RT based on options selected. I’ve never leased before so am not super familiar with the methods they use but clearly they have some factor for resale value in there. What is the cost to buy at end of 36 months for each. This would imply to me that they think they can get a higher resale on the RT than the GT at the end of the lease. Or I am totally whacked and should let my wife do the bills from now on[emoji2957]

#23 ·
Have you done the math the other way? 3 year loan and estimated trade in value or private resale value on the back end. I assume you are going lease because you want to swap it out after 3 years or because you aren’t sure if you’ll like it and would be able to just give it back.

Money aside, I love the V6 and especially the way Dodge implemented the AWD. For most of the year it runs in RWD and only goes AWD in sport mode or when the weather dictates. While I’d love a shaker(they look awesome!!!), the AWD was the best DD option for me and I love how it rides. If my life situation changed I might reconsider. It all just depends on what you want/need in a car.

Good luck with your decision[emoji846]

#24 · (Edited)
Nah I haven't ran any reverse numbers because i have no trade in. Getting out of my Chevy
Lease to get into a Dodge lease here. Leasing because its cheaper and if i like it i'll buy it out.
Financing $500+/mo for a V6 Challenger doesn't look appealing to me.

And trust me if I lived in Florida or something, this thread wouldn't even exist. But since I live
in NJ and looking to move to PA soon, I really need a reliable DD vehicle with AWD. Can't be
missing work or things because the weather is suddenly bad and I decided I wanted to risk
owning a a 500+ horsepower monster in the garage instead. haha.

But DAMN that shaker has me second guessing myself! >:)

#25 · (Edited)
So about 12 month's ago I made this thread, and after a long wait, it was finally time to turn
in my Chevy Truck Lease. I was able to get a good deal on this white 2017 Challenger GT
fully loaded, with 30k miles on it for $21,700 (+ some tax, title, etc), and a warranty. It needs
brakes and tires soon, but I'm not worried about that. Problem now is, I need matte black
wheels I think!

But thank you all for the advice you provided over a year ago. It didn't go to waste. After years
of mustangs, this is now my first Dodge. =)

EDIT: Forgot to add that the Insurance on this isn't terrible @ $70/mo with GEICO and the
finance payments are $320/mo. So I'm happy.

#26 ·
Looks good ;) Not a Blacktop, not Black, lol

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.