Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

First of all, lets get one thing straight. The Challenger Concept is hardly a concept, but rather a fully-fledged prototype of what we all know is Dodges answer to Fords Mustang. Whether DaimlerChrysler has been planning a two-door muscle car all along, even before the all-new Mustang hit the streets just over a year ago, is anyones guess outside of Auburn Hills hallowed halls, but one things for sure, Dearborns ability to sell over 165,000 coupes annually, and in so doing garner 44 percent of a small specialty segment that previously seemed to be all but dying with lackluster sales of Pontiacs GTO, Toyotas Celica (now canceled), Hyundais Tiburon and others, made bringing the Challenger to market a certainty.

Not surprisingly, the new Challenger is as aptly named now as it was in its past when it debuted in 1969 as a 1970 model (alongside the enlarged E-body Plymouth Barracuda which shared platforms and its general shape) to "challenge" the pony cars of the era, namely the fastback Mustang, first and foremost, as well as Chevys Camaro, Pontiacs Firebird, and to a lesser extent AMCs Javelin, not to mention that last manufacturers 12-inch shorter two-seat AMX built off the Javelins platform.

To read the rest of the article, click here!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The reason those other cars like the Tiburon, GTO, and Celica didn't sell is because they're all UGLY!!! We all NEED cars these days, which is good for the automotive mfgs, they're job now is make us all cars we WANT!!! You know, like this Challenger...:D

·
Registered
973 Posts
The guy who wrote that article captured exactly what the Challenger is all about. For those of you that read his piece, do you understand what he was really saying? If you do, you'll know why: 1) Dodge is producing this vehicle, and 2) Dodge has a guaranteed hit.

I consider this read a must for all Challenger lovers.

·
Registered
899 Posts
This car, Marketed correctly; will sell huge volumes. Why? Because the 300 and Charger/Magnum have an already established cult following. How many of you were aware of this following and all these good people and forums? How many times do you give a nod or a thumbs up to a fellow LX owner? Mustang owners (from my experiences) are closer to "civil wars" than giving another owner props on personal modifications etc. As the cars begin to sell the family keeps growing and growing untill the Mopar Nationals have to be held at the bonneville salt flats! C'mon, just compare your local Mopar guy to a Chevy or Ford guy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a dyed in the wool Ford guy I can tell you that this Challenger is a great looking car. They did exactly what Ford did with the new Mustang and paid tribute to the classic muscle car with all the the new goodies to boot. Too bad GM can't seem to catch on, first they miss a great opportunity with the boring GTO then they follow it up with the Camaro sporting a ugly Pontiac looking nose on it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Trevor Hoffman nailed the Car, and, their Future Owners (Me Included) to the wall in his article.

This car is for Rebels. Older ones like myself, who drive a new 300c/SRT8, an '02 BMW M3, and, in the near future, the Challenger....LOADED.

If they DIDN'T build this car, there would be such a howl, that D/C would whither in it's path. They will.

I LOVE the part about how Tim Robbins won't be pulling up to the awards ceremony in a 300c/SRT8, but a Toyota Prius. I detest that Limosine Liberal, and all like him...

LJB:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts