Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first off let me say that this is not a troll thread and my intention is not to make anyone mad. It's an honest question.

First off, I've been wanting a Challenger for awhile now and I had always thought I would go SE mainly b/c I wouldn't need that much power. Sure, it would be nice to have it though. Then after reading some threads and hearing people talk it seems like ya, that's basically a muscle car with no muscle, like it wouldn't be right. So now I've been aiming at RTs.

But my problem is this. Most of you will buy RTs or even SRTs because of the muscle (you could always just buy the SE and save $$). Then many of you will boast about your times on the track. Does it not bother you that, if bone stock, Challengers will consistantly lose to BOTH Camaros and Mustangs? I read just recently that even the new 6.4 L is like .2 seconds slower than the new 5.0 L Mustang. I was hoping it would kill it, but no. : /

So for anyone who drives around and feels like they're somewhat on a superioer because of the muscle that your car has, how do you feel when you look over on the street and see the cheaper and faster mustang?

---Important---
Remeber, these are honest question and I do apologize if I came off rude or insulting as that was not my intention.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Well, that is if you go by magazine numbers. The 5.0 is the only one 'consistantly' beating us, and thats only with a very good driver. These are all very close cars, and to say the camaro is a constant win is not looking at any real time numbers. Take a look at some of the times posted up here, with time slips and often videos, and you can see what actually goes down. More often than not we're inching out the camaros, and with some small bolt ons can take down the 5.0s no problem. Take chris1992 for an example. Hes running (I believe) mid to low 12.5s with VERY simple mods. Tires exhaust and tune. In an R/T too. Thought that was noteworthy for sure.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
If I want to feel like going really fast, I'll hop on my $10K crotch rocket that does high 9's in the 1/4.

Who cares what Mustangs and Camaros wil do; really?

·
Registered
616 Posts
The new SE's have 305 horsepower - not exactly a wimpmobile.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You have to consider the weight factor. Challengers are about 400-500 pounds heavier than the Mustang and Camaro. Have them put that much weight in their trunk and we might have a fair race. But overall we are comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i love my SE and not really concerned about the horsepower, i just love the looks of the car itself. too bad if people don't like the SE model, if they want to pay my car payment for me then i'll upgrade, but i have as much fun in my SE as they do in theirs.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Coming out of a 560 hp Shelby GT500, my R/T feels really slow. Sure, I wish it were faster, but in just about every other area, I enjoy the Challenger more than the GT500. I knew going in that the Challenger wouldn't be as fast, but I bought the Challenger for it's looks, color, ride, roominess, and handling. In those areas I'm not the least disappointed. I would have loved to have been able to keep both cars, but that wasn't happening. I don't regret my decision.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
You have to consider the weight factor. Challengers are about 400-500 pounds heavier than the Mustang and Camaro. Have them put that much weight in their trunk and we might have a fair race. But overall we are comparing apples to oranges.
plus, my car went 13.41 @ 103.33mph with full street trim, 200+ of stereo in the trunk, a 250lb driver (me) and the only mods are a catback exhaust, LMI intake, ported TB, diablo and drag radials....oh, and my 22" rims were up front. i'm not disappointed in my car at all. i'm really curious to see what i'll run in march with the ARH longtubes & catless mids. i'm hoping to have the hopnot engine torque strut and maybe some kind of CMR tune....12s maybe??

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
No, it doesn't bother me. If speed and quarter mile performance was my first and biggest criteria, I would not have bought the R/T, and I may not have bought a Challenger at all. But it was not the first.. or even second or third criteria. Looks, nostalgia, being different.. all were higher priority. For the longest time I had the only new Challenger in town. Then I had the only one with custom flames... then I sold it and bought the DY, and I am the only DY in town.

It's all a matter of priorities...and again, no it does not bother me that the Mustang can beat me, or the SS Camaro can beat me at the track.

Mike

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Ok, first off let me say that this is not a troll thread and my intention is not to make anyone mad. It's an honest question.

First off, I've been wanting a Challenger for awhile now and I had always thought I would go SE mainly b/c I wouldn't need that much power. Sure, it would be nice to have it though. Then after reading some threads and hearing people talk it seems like ya, that's basically a muscle car with no muscle, like it wouldn't be right. So now I've been aiming at RTs.

But my problem is this. Most of you will buy RTs or even SRTs because of the muscle (you could always just buy the SE and save $$). Then many of you will boast about your times on the track. Does it not bother you that, if bone stock, Challengers will consistantly lose to BOTH Camaros and Mustangs? I read just recently that even the new 6.4 L is like .2 seconds slower than the new 5.0 L Mustang. I was hoping it would kill it, but no. : /

So for anyone who drives around and feels like they're somewhat on a superioer because of the muscle that your car has, how do you feel when you look over on the street and see the cheaper and faster mustang?

---Important---
Remeber, these are honest question and I do apologize if I came off rude or insulting as that was not my intention.
There's multiple answers I can give. The easiest is, although paper times are a good baseline it always comes down to driver ability and testicular fortitude a faster car can always lose to a slower one if the driver doesn't know how to launch / corner / whatever correctly. Then there's the letting off the gas because they get cold feet.

The other answer and this is my personal answer being a 37 year Chevy man, is the Challenger is pure style. The Camaro as a retro design failure. They tried to modernize the body lines too much and really didn't do a good job. If they pulled this off better I'd be sitting on the Camaro forums complaining on waiting for my SLP ZL247 to ship instead of an IE. As for Ford they did a better job on their retro design but why would I want to drive what I already see 10 of a day not to mention Chevy guys usually can't bring themselves to own a Ford. :) The Challenger just looks bad and screams don't mess with me. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think JonW"s post says it all. It may not be the fastest but by far the best looking.
My sentiments exactly... you may be faster than me, but you're not nearly as good looking.

As I always say (and this doesn't necessarily apply to Camaros and Mustangs) .... you can't outrun ugly.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I like the Challenger for a lot of reasons. It's definitely the most retro (at least exterior), it's rare (in my area) compared to Camaro's and especially Mustangs, and it's the most civilized muscle car, the most comfortable to drive, and it's got a trunk that I can fit 2 golf bags in.

I will say if you're considering an automatic, it's almost TOO civilized. My wife drove one, and her comment was "it reminds me of a family car". The auto has practically no rumble to the exhaust that I like to hear. May be a small thing to some, but I think a muscle car should sound like one.

To me, the Challenger R/T in a 6M was the best of everything. I plan on treating it right, I just hope it treats me the same.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I don't feel any "superior" because of the muscle any car I drive has. Last time I checked, how fast my car is didn't change how smart/dumb, funny/not funny or good looking I am!

When I look over and see a new 5.0 Mustang, I admire the great job Ford has done. If my garage had room I would love to have a new Boss sitting in their next to the Challengers, it would make a great toy. But I would still prefer the modern Challenger as my daily driver & freeway cruiser.

Finally, for many people, the SE will best suit what they need and be the right choice. Don't be "afraid" to buy "just" a SE, it is a great car!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
i was willing to give up a few tenths in the 1/4 for the looks of the challenger. having said that, it still is right there with the other two, so unless the other driver is perfect every time, they are not going to win every time against the challenger. if you read too far into the magazines and online media publications, they make the challenger out to be lethargic and slow and people (mainly on mustang and camaro forums) take that and run with it. with a few simple bolt ons (as was already mentioned by someone referring to chris1992) the challenger will be equal to or surpass the other two in stock form. so really, you can make the challenger as fast as you want. just depends on what kind of money you want to spend. however, you cant make the other two look like the challenger does for any kind of money!

go take a look at this YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (cars facing off head to head in the same conditions)

and http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/r-t-kills-thread-post-your-stories-here-11448/ (there is almost too many pages to look through any more, so take a look at the last few pages to get the idea)

and you will forget all about what the magazines say about our cars.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
what do you mean it isnt the fastest? I havent lost a single race yet!! but i havent raced it yet either so its a win win.

Look, life is about making compromises. Is ALL you want the fastest car out there? Or is it that you want the fastest car for $40,000? or the fastest best looking car? or the fastest (fill in the blank).

I dont race much. Ive owned the car since march 2010 and not been in a single race. In fact, if I came up against another car at a light, I'd hit it to the speed limit and bail out. I dont need a ticket or an accident or any of the bad stuff that could happen just to prove i bought a faster car. its not worth it.

I bought the best looking, most comfortable, best head turner out there.

its like a girl. none of them are perfect. some are better at some stuff vs others. Its all about the total package. and if shes a knock out and cant cook, someone might enjoy that over a plain jane that will rock your world. COMPROMISE!! I cant stand the mustangs interior. Ive ALWAYS LOVED MOPARS. simple choice.

My challenger rocks it for me and i dont care when the haters start hatin over its 1/4 mile times. it meets my needs

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought my car knowing that I was going to heavily mod it. It is just what I do. In my neck of the woods there aren't any stock cars. If you go to the track, everything is modded. So, I am not racing stock against stock anyway. The final choice for me was the best looking car because in the end, whatever I bought, was going to be around 600 RWHP.

If you bought a stock Challenger, Camaro, or 5.0 and expect to whip up on everyone in my neighborhood, then you will be disappointed. Afterall, I could make my grandmother's wheelchair turn 11's, but I wouldn't want to drive it to work everyday.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts