Dodge Challenger Forum banner

If a 6-Speed Manual Powertrain is not offered would you still purchase a Challenger?

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: DCX is seeking consumer opinions for further evaluation of the future of the Challenger concept car. Options and prices shown are for directional guidance only and do not represent any final pricing in the event that the Challenger concept reaches production.
If you chose a manual transmission option in Question number 1, please fill out this survey as well.

If a 6-Speed manual Powertrain is not offered would you still purchase a Challenger?

·
Registered
114 Posts
yes there is always an aftermarket anyway but i would get an auto i would prefer a manual but an auto might be conveinent because i live in stop and go traffic it is mainly the car oh and keep it the same way it looks like right now
and you will deffinetly get a lot of buyers
mass produce this please

·
Registered
75 Posts
I could live with an auto, but I would be hesitant to buy before seeing/reading how the tranny performs. With a six speed, there would be no hesitation to throw down the cash (barring availability of said cash, of course).

T
0 Posts
I voted for manual only, as I want that old retro driving style back as well as the looks. Give me the 6 on the floor, and a clutch that make my leg shake trying to hold it down at the light.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For me this is about wish fulfillment. I can't justify spending the money if the wish isn't fulfilled. A missing 6 speed is a non-starter for me, as it will be for many people (see the poll).

Bravo to DCX for listening to the fans and taking the time to do your due diligence!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's gotta have a stick available. One of my biggest disappointments with the Charger was the lack of a stick (of course, I'm not in the market for one of those, nor was I when they were making it, so my opinion is really not important).

But, being that the Charger is definitely a 4-door family mover (yes, it definitely hauls some butt and has some good looks, but at it's core it's a family car) I understand the lack of a stick.

The Challenger is a throwback to pure muscle, and to not have a stick shift, I think it would be a travesty and throw a lot of people off. Sure, there are the super hardcore who are going to buy it no matter what, if it's made. But when you make a car like this, you really don't want to alienate anybody. Make it as accessible as possible.

That's why having versions from a V6 up to the 6.1 Hemi is a good idea. And why making an automatic and manual version is a good idea. Everybody can get what they want.

A year later, bust out the 'vert - and watch those babies sell. Sure, you've got the Sebring convertible (which I imagine is on the way out), the PT convertible (different market all together) and the Crossfire roadster - but those down have the "top down" excitement a convertible Challenger would bring.

In conclusion: Gotta have a stick. And, build it already!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not see the point in a muscle/sports car with an automatic!! A manual is the only way to go, especially with a car that looks so much like the original.

The only other way I would consider it would be if a steering wheel auto/manual paddle shift was offered! That would be sweet, but if only a normal place it in drive automatic is offere, I would not be interested. This is also why I would not buy a SRT-8 Charger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
not enough options in this poll, IMO. I would only buy an automatic IF it were tight shifting, had full manual control, and there wasn't a ton of computer interference in getting power down.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
If it has to be an auto... it will have the Autostick.
I have a Charger R/T and the autostick runs a close
second to a manual. Lots of fun. Don't knock it
unless you've tried it. Regardless, I do still prefer a
manual transmission. There's nothing like the feeling
you get from "being one with the car"......

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would need to have this car in a manual. I don't think it would have the same appeal to me as a muscle car if it wasn't available in a manual transmission (the way that the stick was set up in the concept made me wet my pants, it was gorgeous). I've driven Autosticks before, and I was feeling like I was being left out when I couldn't push the clutch down. It just didn't feel right. As one other poster said, they should just offer it in both auto and manual, as to appeal to more customers; same with the engine sizes. The more people this can be made available to, the happier everyone will be!! But please... I want a manual transmission in my Challenger!!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it is auto the SRT-8s tranny works just fine! But judging from the poll they need to make both.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Make mine the 6.4L w/ a Viper spec tranny, thank you. Oh and none of this paddle crap please, I have been down this road before on my various M3's and SMG blows.

·
Registered
598 Posts
With all due respect DCX and SRT-Team...Please put in the 6.4Liter (392) 500++ HP motor in the SRT-8 version of the new hemi challenger with a manual transmission, to compete with the new Shelby GT500 Mustang with 475+ HP. Please leave us a car to remember many years later(as well as now), that would beat all its competition including The new Shelby GT-500. Also please keep styling just like concept, except for the challenger emblem on rear fender.This might be one last chance to be remembered as the King of the Street and Strip again,just like old days with this beautiful new Hemi Challenger. "I don't need all the fancy options"....I would prefer keeping the weight down and instead putting in the 6.4L(392) 500++ HP Motor. I am president of the North Eastern Hemi Mopars and I took a poll that if you guys build it,like it looks right now and put in the 6.4L (392) Hemi in the srt-8 version...I have exactly 4,763 members who have the cash in hand to purchase ASAP. If you need to know more please send PM to me. Thank You John aka: Vanishing Point (yes I do own the original copy 426 hemi Vanishing Point car).;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
i would only buy a manual trasmission. the automatic tranny is for my wife in her durango. i also would like it fairly basic... power locks, windows, tilt, cruise, powerseat, adj pedalsmaybe a sunroof. i want no leather, no steering wheel controls, no auto climate, no nav, hell even steel wheels would be good as i would upgrade the sheels anyways

1 - 20 of 208 Posts