Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, first time poster. I've been googling around for hours trying to find an answer, but haven't yet. Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I have a '11 Challenger R/T Stick. A few days ago, I started getting a sound underhood at low revs like the old mechanically driven fans on Jeeps... sort of a moan, almost like a straight tooth gear lash. Made it home, put a stethoscope to a few components and the alternator kinda sounded like this.

Long story short, I had hoped to swap it out this weekend but nobody reliable seems to have anything in stock. The best I could drum up is that I can order an O'reilly Ultima reman and hope that they can supply it within 3-5 days. Won't know for sure, though, since it's a factory order and not coming from their own distribution center. To their credit, they did give the name of an independent parts shop that might be able to get something sooner.

But I also happened to notice Rockauto has some 180 amp alternators for the 5.7 Charger of the same year. The Challenger's is normally a 160 so I don't see anything wrong there. My question is whether there would be any physical fitment issues. I would expect that they be very similar, likely with the same mounting points and maybe even built in the same housing, but I can't find enough info to say one or the other. Thoughts/Suggestions? Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That seems like a pretty solid option. Do you know how fast their turn-around is? Looks like I'd probably have to opt for the $55 shipping option to make sure it gets by next weekend, assuming it ships tomorrow or Tuesday. (it would be taking a ride to Cali)

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
They're great with getting stuff shipped quickly. Every time I've ordered, even without choosing the faster shipping, they've second day'd it to me. Shipping to Wyoming or Colorado has never taken more than 3 days from the time I order.

I'd call them in the morning to see if they have it in stock. If they do, they'll ship it the same day. If not, they can generally get most parts from Mopar next day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uprating makes sense. The day it started acting up was the peak of a rather nasty heatwave we've had here. Higher capacity should mean lower running temps, I'd think,, and maybe better bearing life next time around (only 51000 miles on this unit)

After looking at the drawings on the site for Steve White's, it looks like the Challenger and Charger alternators use slightly different casting but given the cross-compatibilities listed on rock auto, I expect the holes are spaced the same. I have a gut feeling the charger part would work but would need shorter bolts. But I sure don't want to spend $300+ on a gut feeling. I vaguely recall some local dealerships having similar online catalogs, but I can't find anything like that now. Now they all just link to a generic "give us your info and we'll call you. And, oh yeah, you agree to have us call you about selling you a new car too" form.

I think I'll just give Steve White's a call in the morning. Given the time zone difference, hot weather, and lifelong bad habits, I might even do it before I go bed.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Yea, just call them, or PM Luke here on the forums, he'll hook you up. Steve White's also has their own sub-forum in the vendor section here you can post in for answers as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts