Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger RT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, hoping someone can provide a bit of information for me.
Does anyone have access the all data labor hours for an engine removal part swap over and installation of a 5.7.
Also does Chrysler recommend the engine come out from the top or the bottom?

I purchased a long block Jasper HEMI and I’m curious as to what Chrysler figures the time for an engine swap. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
768 Posts
I don't know the time figure for engine R&R, but I do know it comes out the top. It is not too complicated of a job, but following the steps without trying to shortcut the job will make for a better installation. I have have changed a few in Challengers and Chargers, and I usually take about 13-14 hours for a long block R&R. That includes swapping covers, oil pan and of course cleaning parts that have to be swapped. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
on the assembly line, the engine is mounted to the k-member which has the suspension & brake components attached to it. The body is lowered over the engine & k-member assembly.

If you have a lift, it can be done that way by using an engine table to support the k-member.

Otherwise, if removing the engine from above, it can be done but probably have to separate the transmission from the engine. Modern transmissions are bulkier than the old days

·
Registered
768 Posts
That is true. The engine needs to be separated from the transmission to get it out through the top. Removing the brace and cowl panel helps, but it is still a tight fit.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger RT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the assembly line, the engine is mounted to the k-member which has the suspension & brake components attached to it. The body is lowered over the engine & k-member assembly.

If you have a lift, it can be done that way by using an engine table to support the k-member.

Otherwise, if removing the engine from above, it can be done but probably have to separate the transmission from the engine. Modern transmissions are bulkier than the old days
Thanks. I knew I read somewhere the engine could be removed from underneath with the k- member.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
Looks like that's what MiHiHemi did

A Guy

·
Registered
2010 Challenger RT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know the time figure for engine R&R, but I do know it comes out the top. It is not too complicated of a job, but following the steps without trying to shortcut the job will make for a better installation. I have have changed a few in Challengers and Chargers, and I usually take about 13-14 hours for a long block R&R. That includes swapping covers, oil pan and of course cleaning parts that have to be swapped. Good luck.
So far this hasn’t been a pleasurable experience. Picked up the car at night so I couldn’t assess anything. Two days later I open the hood. Correction struggle to open the hood because the shop did a terrible job installing it. The hood to fender gap’s grow three eights of an inch from front to rear. The latch mechanism is binding. That’s just the exterior.
I won’t bother having the shop fix that. The car is going in for a minor paint touch up and I will have the hood addressed at that time by a competent body man.
Now to the engine itself.
For as important as the intake manifold cleanliness is for warrantee issues both the intake manifold and valve covers have the same amount of dirt on them as they did when I dropped the car off. Not sure how you could clean the inside of the manifold without accidentally cleaning at least parts of the outside.

Now as I’m looking around I see a puddle of oil where the upper and lower intake manifolds go together. The job was given permission to replace any and all questionable parts.
Less than 150 miles and of the 4 external parts they had to clean and install one already needs to be addressed.
Now comes the big question… What else didn’t they do with attention to detail ????

I’ll be calling the shop in the morning to let them know about the intake manifold and my expectation of it being fixed. 114,000 miles on the original engine and it never leaked a drop of oil.

Because I’ve lost faith in the shop knowing they rushed the job I will also be taking it to another Jasper authorized engine installer to have every nut and bolt checked that the shop could have touched.
They received the car three days before The new engine arrived then it took them five Business days to install and deliver. They have no excuse of time for the poor workmanship.
This is bothersome to me and while making it clear I expected my car and my engine to run and look brand new this is far from what I got.
Charging $1798.50 in labor to give me back a dirty Engine is far from what I would consider quality workmanship.
Dropping just shy of $9000 in parts and labor to find leaks and poor workmanship is definitely not leaving me feeling satisfied.

I’ve already taken a video of everything and in the morning I will send several photos to Jasper of the parts the shop didn’t clean so if there is ever a warrantee question I will have covered my ass.

I love my car and take exceptional care of it. This is very disheartening.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I completely understand. When I work on a customer's car, I try to leave everything that I touch better than I found it. Also, I am surprised that Jasper doesn't require a new intake manifold for their engine to be covered by warranty. FCA requires it to prevent damage from any debris in the intake. I hope you can get everything fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger RT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I completely understand. When I work on a customer's car, I try to leave everything that I touch better than I found it. Also, I am surprised that Jasper doesn't require a new intake manifold for their engine to be covered by warranty. FCA requires it to prevent damage from any debris in the intake. I hope you can get everything fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck.
Thanks. It’s frustrating but somehow everything will work out in the end. 👍🏻

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.