Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I bought this 2019 Challenger R/T used with 7,000 miles. It did not have an engine cover. It Had invisible blemishes on the side. The good was slightly displaced which was concerning, but I only noticed it after it was sold to me. The only previous owner was a rental company. I noticed the lights were moving up and down while I was driving and tried to find the culprit, when I did I was a little astonished. Do you know what could have possibly caused this?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,555 Posts
Poor repair of a front end collision? Jerry-rigged did by customer to avoid paying for damages?

IDK, it’s hard to tell what the pic is showing or which way is up/down front/back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, my other photos didn’t upload. The hood is displaced a little as well. However the engine looks untouched. I guess I thought if there was front collision a rental agency would have to utilize insurance to get it repaired. But it’s looking more like that is what happened. But they didn’t replace the lights or anything in the front from what I can see.

·
Premium Member
7,555 Posts
Could be something like a rental customer damaged the car and used his brother in law to fix it on the cheap...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, “Bro I’m gonna get in so much trouble, don’t tell mom.”

thanks for the second opinion, probably just going to bring it to a mechanic to see if they could inspect what might have been damaged from whatever injury might have occurred.

·
Premium Member
7,555 Posts
People do strange things with rental cars. Hell, I’m no different. I once changed the oil and did a deswirl of the paint job on a rental car I had without the rental agency ever knowing. 🤔

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Did you ask the dealer before you bought it if it was ever in an accident? If so they misrepresented the car. Those headlights are not cheap.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,567 Posts
Those headlights are not cheap.
......and that’s exactly why they were most likely NOT replaced, if the car was indeed involved in an accident.

Lots of car rental companies are self insured, and those that are not, have deductibles higher than giraffe twats, @Tyler.Winter

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Wrecked, poorly repaired and your bumper is assembled wrong at the top. As mentioned, most rental companies are self insured. They are the vehicle owner, they are paying for the repairs so they scab them together any way they want. They usually have a contract with a body shop.

I'm not suggesting that it was some huge major collision, it may have been something smallish like a bumper cover and headlights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wrecked, poorly repaired and your bumper is assembled wrong at the top. As mentioned, most rental companies are self insured. They are the vehicle owner, they are paying for the repairs so they scab them together any way they want. They usually have a contract with a body shop.

I'm not suggesting that it was some huge major collision, it may have been something smallish like a bumper cover and headlights.
I brought it to a bodyshop today and they were able to identify that some work had been done to the fender and the bumper had been replaced. He did not see any injury to the frame. The dealership agreed to look at it and I am pretty sure they are willing to do the work. The lights are one grand each.
Weirdly, after I left the body shop my temperature gauge rose above the halfway mark and was stuttering. It was stop and go so I’m not sure in my fan is faulty or if it’s just a really hot day. (110 degrees)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
518 Posts
Wow the dealership is a damn ripoff. You can get both for that buying them elsewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is a good story on how expensive front end damage can be...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,181 Posts
What's a deswirl? And why would you change oil on a rental car yourself? Just wondering....
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Deswirl is paint correction...and because he's @Nuke

A Guy

·
Premium Member
7,555 Posts
What's a deswirl? And why would you change oil on a rental car yourself? Just wondering....
If you have noticed what look like really fine spider webs in the clear coat of your vehicle, those are swirls. They accrue over time from drying the car after washes, rubbing up against it, anything that touches the clear coat usually ends up scratching it, aka leaving swirls in it. And the best way to remove those swirls is to polish them out with a machine polisher and some good polish or compound.

Back before I got The Bacon Hauler but after I had gotten rid of the last Challenger I had, I was driving a rental for an extended amount of time. I also had just so happen to acquire both a new polishing attachment for my drill (Meguiar’s DA) and some new polish (Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound), and I was itching to try them out on some swirled up paint to see how well they did together. What better test environment than a rental car’s neglected clear coat?

As for changing the oil, well, like I said I had it for an extended amount of time, and it just so happen that it’s very first OCI had ended (for both time and mileage) but I was still renting it. I didn’t want it to go without fresh oil and a filter for another couple thousand miles just because of me, so I bought the filter and used some of the oil in my stash to give it its very first oil change in my garage.

(It was a direct injection engine too, and the oil smelled heavily of gasoline, so I didn’t feel right continuing to drive it with compromised oil like that.)

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I brought it to a bodyshop today and they were able to identify that some work had been done to the fender and the bumper had been replaced. He did not see any injury to the frame. The dealership agreed to look at it and I am pretty sure they are willing to do the work. The lights are one grand each.
Weirdly, after I left the body shop my temperature gauge rose above the halfway mark and was stuttering. It was stop and go so I’m not sure in my fan is faulty or if it’s just a really hot day. (110 degrees)
No warning lights? No messages about an overheating condition?

Then what you observed is just the result of driving the car in high ambient temperature. The coolant temperature climbed pretty high maybe all the way to 226F. This will have the analog temperature gauge needle beyond the "halfway" mark.

The "stuttering" I think refers to flicking. In a graphic gauge display the needle can flicker between two adjacent temperatures as the analog reading varies just enough that in converting it to digital the reading varies just enough -- it might be just one "bit" -- that one conversion is is 221F the next 222F and back and forth. The graphic needle or temperature indicator and the digital value displayed all vary in unison.

Observed this with battery voltage the other day. Voltage was flickering from 13.9V to 14.0V.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts