Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t decide between the challenger R/T or R/T ScatPack. Why is one better than the other? Which one has better gas mileage? I want the R/T but I like how fast the Scatpack is.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The r/t is the 5.7 engine and the r/t scat is 6.4 liter.
Other than that I'm not sure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Get the 6.4 liter Scat Pack Wide Body. The Scat Pack Wide Body is much better. It has better handling and more horsepower. I just received my Scat Pack Wide Body today. I love the car very much. It's very responsive with its 485 horsepower/475 ft. lbs. of torque. It grips the road and it has excellent handling. The Scat Pack Wide Body is like night and day when compared to the 5.7 liter R/T and to the regular Scat Pack. The regular Scat Pack has the same 6.4 liter engine as the Scat Pack Wide Body. However, the Wide Body has better suspension and handling because it has the Hellcat wheels, brakes, tires and suspension as well as the beautiful wide body fender flares. The Wide Body Scat Pack grips the road much better than the regular Scat Pack and 5.7 liter R/T.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Having owned an R/T, IMO the Scat is miles better. BUT, it’s all in how you drive and intend to use it. I love the low end power on tap that my R/T didn’t give me, but some are perfectly happy and love their R/T’s. I suggest test driving both and do some real thinking about how your driving style is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Scat Pack is better in pretty much every way other than gas mileage. And even then, it’s not that much worse. It costs a little more, but you won’t find better bang for your buck than the Scat Pack.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,565 Posts
Test drive them and compare for yourself. The money saved on the R/T could go towards some appearance mods to make it really stand out in a crowd. If I were in the market today I would be looking for a T/A personally, at least it justifies having that AAR 'Cuda hood, and I have only saw 2 of them, an orange 392 and a green 5.7l. Personally I love my R/T plus.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have the 2018 RT+, wife liked the car. I'm disappointed for being a RT+ that it lacks many of the small options that our Charger V6 had. Go with the 392 - my opinion a better handling car. If concerned about milage - get a 6. The 392 & or 5.7 aren't bad considering the power. READ the options package if getting new.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I can’t decide between the challenger R/T or R/T ScatPack. Why is one better than the other? Which one has better gas mileage? I want the R/T but I like how fast the Scatpack is.
MPG difference is negligible, and the only reason to buy an R/T over the Scat Pack is because the Scat Pack is not in your budget and you really want a V8.

Get a Scat Pack.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Yes, Scat Pack all day long if the extra cost is not a big deal.

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
The R/T's main advantage is price but depending on options, it can get expensive and close to Scat Pack territory. The 19 R/T has Super Track Pack standard so it handles about the same as the Scat. Brakes obviously better on the Scat Pack but stock R/T good enough and if you order the R/T Performance Handling Group to get the Brembos, well now you're getting close to Scat Pack in price. So it just depends on your budget. And I'll say this, do not buy the R/T with plans to increase its power to get closer to Scat Pack. Either be happy with the R/T as it is or get the Scat Pack, if the 6.4L power is what you really want, you will never be happy with a 5.7L.

On gas mileage, both cars are very similar, octane ratings the 5.7L Auto needs 89, the 6.4L 91, so R/T will be a little cheaper to fuel but not by much. Oil and oil change requirements way less on R/T, Scat requires oil change every 6 months with high dollar synthetic.

Go drive the 5.7L! With Sport mode and the active exhaust it runs good. Of course most will say get the Scat Pack but it's a good bit more money and most dealers have good deals on cloth seat 7.0 radio R/T's sitting on the lot. If you can live with that, a much cheaper R/T can be a good buy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Get the 6.4 liter Scat Pack Wide Body. The Scat Pack Wide Body is much better. It has better handling and more horsepower. I just received my Scat Pack Wide Body today. I love the car very much. It's very responsive with its 485 horsepower/475 ft. lbs. of torque. It grips the road and it has excellent handling. The Scat Pack Wide Body is like night and day when compared to the 5.7 liter R/T and to the regular Scat Pack. The regular Scat Pack has the same 6.4 liter engine as the Scat Pack Wide Body. However, the Wide Body has better suspension and handling because it has the Hellcat wheels, brakes, tires and suspension as well as the beautiful wide body fender flares. The Wide Body Scat Pack grips the road much better than the regular Scat Pack and 5.7 liter R/T.
A lot of this is incorrect, despite your excitement. The wheels and tires are the only difference, the rest can be optioned to a regular SP, minus the bolt on flares.

Edit: Apparently the dynamic suspension is re-valved for the WB. I rescind a small portion of my snark.

·
Registered
958 Posts
This is the third thread of this kind of question you have started. I think you're just pulling everyone's chain.

You can research 99% of the questions you've asked very easily and then come back with better informed questions.

Seriously? RT vs Scat Pack? 5 minutes on the Dodge site building them would give you a clue.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Gorilla in the room

Yeah, I was hoping someone else would say it. Ralley72 came close, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but maybe you should get the V6 model. I saw on one of your other post you mentioned you were 21. That's cool, but I tell you, its a good thing I was broke when I was 21 and couldn't afford a fast car.

Geesh, I would have probably wrapped it around a tree or something worse. I just remember how I was back then. I don't know you and you were just asking for friendly advice and I was going on what I had read. So there you go, its free and boring, press delete if you like. I truly would not try to antagonize you. You're an adult and can do as you wish. I would advise my niece and nephew to wait on something like a Challenger, if they were 20 or 21 of age, but that's just me.
I hope you are super mature for 21 cause the R/T will get down the road very quick and things can get serious very fast.

You were asking opinions and worried about fuel mileage. These cars are not about fuel mileage. They do very well though. Fuel mileage criteria is not a major concern for the average Challenger shopper ( at least it wasn't for me).
If you are on a shoestring budget, I advise you go with the V6 low miles maybe a year old with a good FCA warranty still left on it. Heck you are 21, you have plenty of time to get a R/T or a Scat pack.
Your insurance is going to be high even if you have a perfect driving record and good student discount with a Challenger. It would be semi-high in a Jeep.
Get the V6 and be careful is the only word of caution I advise.
Best regards

Reactions: vipergts2207

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
It's one of those questions that if you have to ask, you're not ready to buy. Stop, sit on it for a while. When you know which one you want, or something else entirely, then do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the third thread of this kind of question you have started. I think you're just pulling everyone's chain.

You can research 99% of the questions you've asked very easily and then come back with better informed questions.

Seriously? RT vs Scat Pack? 5 minutes on the Dodge site building them would give you a clue.
i’m obviously asking because i don’t know. i’ve researched on the site and obviously still have questions. there’s no need to come on here with a nasty attitude like that. this is a forum and can ask all the questions i want whenever i want. i can ask the same questions 10 times and get different answers and opinions

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally I had not purchased a new vehicle since 2003 ( 4 Ford trucks in a row) but I am old enough now to get what I wanted without compromise and I can afford to pay for it. When they introduced the widebody Scat Pack with the upgraded suspension package for only $6k extra, I was sold. I don't need a HellCat and I already have a 5.7 Hemi powered 72 Javelin that I built for daily driving so I bought a custom ordered PCP widebody with everything I wanted. I do not compromise on what I want since it came with a payment book, and I plan to keep it. Get what you want and don't just settle for something unless you can't afford it. In that case just wait until you can buy what you really want or wait a few years and buy a used one. You might be happy with the 6 but personally I don't want a muscle car without a V-8. I don't care about gas mileage.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i’m obviously asking because i don’t know. i’ve researched on the site and obviously still have questions. there’s no need to come on here with a nasty attitude like that. this is a forum and can ask all the questions i want whenever i want. i can ask the same questions 10 times and get different answers and opinions
You're right, you can ask the same questions as many times as you like but it doesn't appear you've really done much homework or absorbed what you've "researched" or been told in the various threads. Three threads with essentially the same information request seems a bit much. But hey, have at it.

·
Registered
981 Posts

You’re not really asking anything. You’re asking for subjective opinions on something that the decision is yours and your alone, nobody here will make the payments for you. Go test drive the cars and then you might have some real questions pertaining to each vehicle. You have to do a little of your own homework before you ask such generic questions. I had lots of questions before I bought my 19’ SP. But I had test drove the car and done the builds and knew what I thought I wanted and so I asked my questions on different packages and what they entailed to verify i understood them correctly.

1) define a budget
2) test drive cars in your budget
3) identify what packages and options you can’t live WITHOUT
4) find cars in budget with options you need

You already know the Scat Pack is better, it’s why it cost more. If you want the scat pack but can only afford the 5.7 then get nothing. Save your money, be patient and wait till you can afford it. Otherwise you’ll just be out money, upside down and wishing you just bought the scat pack to begin with. I speak from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts