Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question over at lxforums and I'll see what you guys think. How does a Challenger R/T match up with the other lx SRT8s? Most of the people there think the Challenger would lose bad. I thought with the weight difference it would be close.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Well, the 05+ lx still runs about a 13.0-13.2. So, with the r/t running a 13.5 (seems like a pretty fair average with some of the wild extremes were seeing run high and low), it would still be behind yeah. I'm sure it wouldn't take more than some tires to even that out though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know the other SRT8s were that fast. I thought they weighed quiet a bit more than the challenger. It sounds like they're just as fast as the Challenger SRT8.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have an '05 Magnum RT and an '09 Challenger SRT. There is a 20 pound weight difference. (Challenger being the heavier of the two) I know my SRT will blow the doors off of my Rt. That being said, it is an older RT, before the HP increase of the newer RT's. I think the newer RT's have almost as much power as the SRT's. Where the SRT's shine over the newer RT's is in the suspension, braking, and ride. Some SRT's will be slower and some will be faster than the RT's.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have an '05 Magnum RT and an '09 Challenger SRT. There is a 20 pound weight difference. (Challenger being the heavier of the two) I know my SRT will blow the doors off of my Rt. That being said, it is an older RT, before the HP increase of the newer RT's. I think the newer RT's have almost as much power as the SRT's. Where the SRT's shine over the newer RT's is in the suspension, braking, and ride. Some SRT's will be slower and some will be faster than the RT's.
The RTs dont have the same power as the SRT8s. The RTs are rated around 375ish, compared to 425. Not the same.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
The R/T Challengers don't get the respect the SRT's get, but the gap in hp and performance isn't that wide. I've raced a couple of Challenger SRT8's with similar mods at the track and won, so mod-for-mod the Chargers don't worry me too much. I'm sure I would get flamed beyond belief on the LX forum but fact is fact and timeslips bear this out. When I say SRT8, I mean 6.1, no one will have much success vs.the 6.4 LOL.

Jack

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The RTs dont have the same power as the SRT8s. The RTs are rated around 375ish, compared to 425. Not the same.
dyno runs are showing the r/t's in the 390-400hp range when looking at the rwhp output (it seems they underrated them so it wouldn't bite into the 6.1 sales). not the same as the 6.1, but very close.

·
Registered
202 Posts
dyno runs are showing the r/t's in the 390-400hp range when looking at the rwhp output (it seems they underrated them so it wouldn't bite into the 6.1 sales). not the same as the 6.1, but very close.
They are close indeed. My wife went to the the track for the first time ever yesterday (12/19/10), and ran a best of 13.61 in her R/T auto to my 13.80 in my SRT8 6 speed. She didn't do a burnout (doesn't know how to, yet:)), kept it in drive, held the break with no preload, and accelerated. If she could have got her reaction time down, she would have finished ahead of me. There was a stock Camaro SS there too that also ran a best of 13.6. I should have got an automatic:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I've been kind of wondering the same thing but with R/T vs R/T..I have no problems against stock-bolton SRT8s..but I wonder how an 09+ charger would compare to my car if it had the same mods? Would be awesome to see a 4 door car running the 1/4 in under 12.5 seconds with only a few mods

·
Registered
202 Posts
There was an 06 Charger R/T with stock motor, drag radials, skinnies, full weight, and I think 125 shot of nitrous that ran an 11.9 yesterday. There was also another Charger R/T(not sure what year) with Vortech SC running 5 psi that was running low 12's.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
They are close indeed. My wife went to the the track for the first time ever yesterday (12/19/10), and ran a best of 13.61 in her R/T auto to my 13.80 in my SRT8 6 speed. She didn't do a burnout (doesn't know how to, yet:)), kept it in drive, held the break with no preload, and accelerated. If she could have got her reaction time down, she would have finished ahead of me. There was a stock Camaro SS there too that also ran a best of 13.6. I should have got an automatic:bigthumb:
the autos are fast! just talk to chris1992 and he can tell you many cars he's taken down with his that are supposed to be faster.

·
Registered
688 Posts

The 425hp is not RWHP and the 375ish is. The SRT is aproximately 360=380ish RWHP. The power is closer than you think!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Only an R/T owner would say it's faster than an SRT8. I am not saying they are night and day different, but line up an R/T auto next to an SRT auto, and it will be obvious. Cannot compare Manuals cause the driver factor huge in that matchup. Mod for mod, the SRT8 will still come out on top.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Only an R/T owner would say it's faster than an SRT8. I am not saying they are night and day different, but line up an R/T auto next to an SRT auto, and it will be obvious. Cannot compare Manuals cause the driver factor huge in that matchup. Mod for mod, the SRT8 will still come out on top.
Stock for stock the SRT8 can win by a good margin depending on the drivers, but once they both are tuned it gets a lot closer.
With a tune, exhaust, and drag radials my car ran a 12.56. With just an exhaust and drag radials I ran a 12.8

So its a lot closer than most would assume, my car gets confused with an SRT8 most times out at the track

But on a road course it would be very hard for an R/T to keep up

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
never said the r/t was faster than an srt. i was referring to how close the r/t is to the srt (and camaro SS), especially in auto form and how one could beat and srt with the right driver and mods.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Stock for stock the SRT8 can win by a good margin depending on the drivers, but once they both are tuned it gets a lot closer.
With a tune, exhaust, and drag radials my car ran a 12.56. With just an exhaust and drag radials I ran a 12.8

So its a lot closer than most would assume, my car gets confused with an SRT8 most times out at the track

But on a road course it would be very hard for an R/T to keep up
Demon frmo this forum has an SRT with a canned tune, CAI, and DR's/ He just ran a PB pf 12.33. I agree that they are not that far apart. But mod for mod, the SRT will win every time. I am new to racing, but I cannot believe what losing by 2 tenths looks like. I would thinks it would be a fender....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Demon frmo this forum has an SRT with a canned tune, CAI, and DR's/ He just ran a PB pf 12.33. I agree that they are not that far apart. But mod for mod, the SRT will win every time. I am new to racing, but I cannot believe what losing by 2 tenths looks like. I would thinks it would be a fender....
1/10 of a second at 110MPH is equal to one car length.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I know all about what Tony is running. Candy-Os a beast. We are good friends and we're always trying to help each other go quicker. BUT that being said, you guys at atco have some amazing air for racing! :bigthumb:

My PB so far is a 12.45, this was done with a VERY bad head wind in the high 40s. Without the head wind, I would have easily been able to see a 12.3..yet sadly the wind didn't like my plans lol
But once the wind calms down and we get some high 30s low 40s, I should be able to pull off a 12.2 (if I can hook)..after that I might buy a higher stall to bust my 60's into the 1.6s and hopefully net a 12.19 or better (need some really good air of course). And I believe Tony plans to do the same thing (and more) once the Spring time comes around.

But anyways, my point is that things begin to get closer once the mods come into play.

BTW-Tony has told me about your car, 12flat is awesome for street tires. Good luck on getting some mid 11s once you get some drag radials on the car (shoulda given Tony's drag radials a try last time out!).

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've been kind of wondering the same thing but with R/T vs R/T... but I wonder how an 09+ charger would compare to my car if it had the same mods? Would be awesome to see a 4 door car running the 1/4 in under 12.5 seconds with only a few mods
I would think they'd do better with the same mods. If the weights and mods are equal, the Charger R/T should have a slight aero-dynamic advantage.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts