Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm brand new to this forum thing, so here's hoping I get it right.
I recently bought a 2012 Challenger RT and just the other day the heater stopped working. The fan still works, the air conditioning still works, but alas no heat.
ON reading other articles and advice, I have decided that the most likely issue is the heater actuator.

Given that I live in New Zealand and it is nearly the middle of our winter, I would like to get n to fixing this quickly.

Can anyone offer any advice from their past experiences?

Anyone know what is needed and where the actuator is located on the car?

Thanks in advance.

Dodgydig

·
Registered
3 Posts
Likely Cause

There is a small electric geared motor that sits underneath the dash on the drivers side attached to the heater core under the radio. This motor is called the Blend Air Actuator. It is responsible for moving the position of the door to control air flow into the cabin though either the heater core or the A/C evaporator coils. It regulates how much air goes through either or both to ensure the cabin is at the set temperature. There are 2 other actuators that control the output location of the HVAC and whether the air being used is outside or inside air(recirc). Here's a good reference (https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/behind_...d-what-drives-them-in-automotive-hvac-systems). I had to recently replace my blend actuator because it started to click incessantly when i drove through different temperature pockets of air and tried to adjust itself. The part is around $40 USD and is easy to fix, the hard part is determining if this is your faulty item. If you want to test this out, remove the acoustic paneling under the drivers dash, along with the phillips screw on the bottom there. remove the door jamb cover located knee height, should be a 1.5 ft section, pops off. remove the screw underneath, phillips head. Gently remove the plastic cover by prying it off. Use a 10 mm to remove the 4 bolts on the metal plate for vision. Make sure and set the temp either full hot or cold for future placement. Use a T20 torx, 1" extension and a 1/4' ratchet to remove the 2 gold screws. make sure they are the correct screws. remove the actuator and manually move the blend door and turn on the heater and see if you get heat. If this is the faulty part, order and replace. Be careful that the 2 tube going into the heater core are hot as %^*$. I used a 3/8" 12 point to remove my drivers seat for comfort. Be informed that there are 2 of the actuators on the passenger side also. When reinstalling, I moved the lever all the way one direction and set the temp to the original setting and replaced it.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a small electric geared motor that sits underneath the dash on the drivers side attached to the heater core under the radio. This motor is called the Blend Air Actuator. It is responsible for moving the position of the door to control air flow into the cabin though either the heater core or the A/C evaporator coils. It regulates how much air goes through either or both to ensure the cabin is at the set temperature. There are 2 other actuators that control the output location of the HVAC and whether the air being used is outside or inside air(recirc). Here's a good reference (https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/behind_...d-what-drives-them-in-automotive-hvac-systems). I had to recently replace my blend actuator because it started to click incessantly when i drove through different temperature pockets of air and tried to adjust itself. The part is around $40 USD and is easy to fix, the hard part is determining if this is your faulty item. If you want to test this out, remove the acoustic paneling under the drivers dash, along with the phillips screw on the bottom there. remove the door jamb cover located knee height, should be a 1.5 ft section, pops off. remove the screw underneath, phillips head. Gently remove the plastic cover by prying it off. Use a 10 mm to remove the 4 bolts on the metal plate for vision. Make sure and set the temp either full hot or cold for future placement. Use a T20 torx, 1" extension and a 1/4' ratchet to remove the 2 gold screws. make sure they are the correct screws. remove the actuator and manually move the blend door and turn on the heater and see if you get heat. If this is the faulty part, order and replace. Be careful that the 2 tube going into the heater core are hot as %^*$. I used a 3/8" 12 point to remove my drivers seat for comfort. Be informed that there are 2 of the actuators on the passenger side also. When reinstalling, I moved the lever all the way one direction and set the temp to the original setting and replaced it.
Hi Charlie,

A little late to the party here, but we just replaced my temp actuator on my 2012 and I swear my car is confused about life when it comes to temperatures now. Reading your response here, could it possibly be because of how the temperature settings were when it was taken apart and placed back in? I have been scouring the forums, have not yet found anything to explain the temp confusion. (gets hot and cold, but wont change from hot to cold until you change the temp to the max of hot or max of cold.) Bought the OEM part from the dealership. $50.00. Upper Driver side actuator. Had to drop the steering column to get to it. If you have any tips, or could possibly point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey same thing happened to me they quote me at 650 but took to one of my friends garage and he fixed it only cost me 100 it was an oil hose that was clogged

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey same thing happened to me they quote me at 650 but took to one of my friends garage and he fixed it only cost me 100 it was an oil hose that was clogged

OK thank you! we will take a look at that. I took mine in and they also quoted me the same nonsense price! Said it was a 2.5 hour job. BAH! took us about 30-40minutes. I have no faith in this dealership. I wouldnt have gone back to them at all, but I was thinking maybe my original problem was something leftover or covered by work done by them a few months prior. they are just terrible :( I took mine in a few months back for a/c compressor going out and only 1 side putting out cool air, got it back a week later, all they did was replace the compressor. so it went back for the 1 side not cooling issue. They said they had to replace my evap cooler and would have to remove the dash, so they kept my car another whole week, and broke my windshield. I go to get my car, they had put on a chipped windshield for a replacement, and had scraped off the paint from the top of my fenders! Probably when jimmying the old windshield off. I had just painted my car :(

Had the car for one day, took it back the very next day because the ac stopped working completely then. Before it worked but only on 1 side. Was putting out nothing but heat. So they kept it another week, go to get it back and they had damaged her again :'( Had either backed into her, or ran her into something, dented/creased the front bumper, and of course cracked/spiderwebbed the paint in the bumper. all they did was put clear paint over it. They had my car a month and all they did was tear it apart and replace a bunch of parts as a guess to see what would make it work. Terrible service from an actual Dodge Dealership and Service center. Took it back because the a/c stopped again, then 2 days later it wouldnt switch from hot/cold anymore. they of course wouldnt cover it

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I believe that to set the temp variance correctly you need to set the gear set to same direction as the motor. To set it correctly remove the gear with the car running and actuate the dial to identify the direction to move the gear and align the gear with the motor in either extreme setting. Another possibility. and I think this is my current new issue, is the flow actuator for the heater core in the passenger side is malfunctioning and will not adjust to allow different blended air into the cab.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did a lot more digging yesterday and found another thread! Someone, Nuke I believe? Had mentioned setting his knobs to "off" and then disconnecting his battery for a bit, then reconnecting the battery. Tried this last night and it worked! My girl is no longer confused :D correctly adjusting the temp for me and keeping me nice and cozy so I can enjoy my ride. For ME (2012 Challenger) the settings were far as follows:

Left Fan Knob: pointing all the way left, empty circle below auto
Middle Temp Knob: blue dot
Right Circ Knob: Face vents, right above auto
Pic of my climate control for reference.
this is the thread I found, in case anybody else has this issue: https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/flashing-defroster-light-124498/

I was told by the dealerships that nothing had to be done when swapping out the blend actuator door, and that nothing had to be reset or reprogrammed, but after swapping mine out my climate control was definitely messed up. I called them about it and of course they wanted me to come in so they could look at it, no thanks. It gave hot and cold air, but not like it was supposed to. I followed the steps above and now she is good to go :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info angel. This should helps others with the same issue. Slowly, well make a troubleshooting guide for this problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
absolutely, I know I spent a good amount of time digging for info. You'd think with as many issues as there are with these actuators, there'd be more info out there. Didnt realize until earlier today that the thread I was looking at yesterday is 5 years old LOL. so its good to give them a good bump now and then :) maybe we can get a good one going at some point and put a sticky on it or something :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts