Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
If yours came equipped with 20" wheels, then you have a 3.91 diff ratio (and limited slip)

18" wheels were still being offered and those came with 3.73 diff ratio

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
Dealer could run your VIN # to see what sales codes / equipment your car was built with.

There would be a sales code Wxx that will indicate which wheels your build was

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If yours came equipped with 20" wheels, then you have a 3.91 diff ratio (and limited slip)

18" wheels were still being offered and those came with 3.73 diff ratio
My door sticker says P235/55R18 . Is this an accurate way to know what the rear end gear ratio is ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,981 Posts

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
My door sticker says P235/55R18 . Is this an accurate way to know what the rear end gear ratio is ?
Then you have 18" + M6, so you have the 3.73 final drive ratio.

If you had the 18" OEM tire diameter (which you have 20" now) it would be the same effective ratio as the 20" + 3.91 ratio.

You've lost a bit of gear ratio, as the 20" OEM tire (do you have 245/45s?) is larger in diameter than what the OEM 18". Its very slight, but there it is.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
They should still offer the 18 inch wheels which would now would be a ZF 3.70 in the R/T, it gives it a low sleeper look and with the standard suspension and 18s it is almost as low as with STP and handles fine too.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
They should still offer the 18 inch wheels which would now would be a ZF 3.70 in the R/T, it gives it a low sleeper look and with the standard suspension and 18s it is almost as low as with STP and handles fine too.

In the '11 - '14 years, if you wanted STP, it forced the option of the 20" wheels. By '13 / '14 the 18" wheel was dropped except for the SXT trim level.

Then the SXT + adopted 20" as the std. equipment. From '15+ the SXT base is the only 18" wheel offered.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
I had the 18's on my 14 and loved them, nice smooth ride and still handled fine. People were saying you need STP or it handles like a boat, well that may have been true with 20's and before the suspension settings changed in 11, but my 14 handled fine partly because it sat lower than a non-STP with 20's. And with the STP brakes that used to be part of the M6 option, it made for a nice package. Starting in 15, all of that was gone and you get 20's only and no more BR6 brakes with M6. Good thing is the 18's will bolt right on if anybody still wants to do it, I've just always liked that low key sleeper look.

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
Agree on that my '09 had 265/50 18s plus the Eibach Sportline springs and Hotchkis sway bars. It had good ride quality.

My '16 SPS has a bit more compression compliance with the OEM Bilsteins, but the impact harshness of 20s is different from the 265/50 18 setup on the R/T I used to have.

You hit potholes with 20s (which was very problematic in Portland where I had lived) and you wanted to inspect the tire / wheel to make sure there was no damage.

Every week there was a new pothole or a poorly repaired one that was falling apart after a couple of rainy weeks passed by.

Driving at night was a whole different thing as you'd try to remember where potholes were on a given street and yet keeping at watch for new ones (street lighting was poor at best, or what little there was got obscured by trees...

3rd world streets with 1st world taxes in Portland. Be careful out there NW'ers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts