Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I finally getting some time to finally to start my Audio Build. Goal is to get best possible sound in all oem locations. Keep the oem look of the interior much as possible and function on the vehicle. Also to use least amount of equipment as possible. Sure I could use more drivers, amps and subs but like this Challenge not many do. My car is a timeless design, I would like the install and system reflect that. So the equipment I’m going to use is what I have on hand for now. Maybe tweak the equipment list as I Build. For now this is what will be used.

Source - Kenwood DDX 9705S Android Auto/ CarPlay Unit
Processing/power - Helix P SIX MKII DSP 6ch Amplifier
Processor controller- Helix Director
Wide-band Drivers - HAT Unity U3 wideband drivers (location dash)
Midbass Drivers - HAT Unity U69 2ohm version midbass (Location doors)
Sub(s) - Audiomobile EVO 10 (location sealed enclosure trunk)

Power layout (6channels)
120w @ 4ohms to U3 Drivers each side.
230w @ 2ohms to U69 Drivers each side.
230w x 2 @ 2 ohms to Two Audiomobile Evo 10 Subwoofers

Future upgrades
- HAT Legatia L3SE
- Helix P Two 2 Channel HD Amplifier

The headunit using the idatalink maestro module. Retains oem steering wheel controls, gauges, warning icons and other features. The best headunit module if you can swap out your headunit IMO.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The equipment

The brains behind all the processing and power is the Helix P Six DSP/ Amplifier. To make things easy to toggle between up to 20 preset custom tunes, master volume and subwoofer control using the helix Director controller.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the speakers for the dash and front doors. Since the dash is wide-band drivers no tweeters are needed. As these U3 3.7” have a frequency range of 300hz - 20k. Speaker adapter were routed out of 1/8 abs plastic to make sure there would be no clearance issues and rattles in the dash. These speakers work very well reflecting of the windshield unlike a tweeter would. The driver has a wide dispersion which helps the sound quality off axis in the dash. Since all the drivers will be ran active, tuning will be key to get the results I need.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The door drivers, Unity U69 where mounted in the oem speaker adapters. Some trimming on the back side was needed for the magnet to clear. No new brackets were needed. Since I’m using the the wide- band to handle most of the frequencies, the U69 only has to play from 75hz-300hz. Keeping nice wide above dash sound stage.

The oem Boston 6x9 vs hybrid Audio U69

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To help keep the sound quality inside the car and keep noise and vibration out. The doors were sound deadening to combat these issues.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Nice!! I like your goals.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mounting on the dsp/amp Director controller. Since I’m using my steering wheel controls and have some adjustments on the aftermarket headunit, I didn’t need access to the controller all the time. So I decided to mount the unit out of sight (stealth). The console area I didn’t like since I sit my laptop there most of the time when tuning the system. I didn’t feel like keep opening the lid to have access to the controller. So since I never use the sunglasses hold, I decided to mount it there instead. Can be out of sight when I not using it.

Added some closed cell foam to stop any vibrations

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First I started the subwoofer enclosure to house the two new Audiomobile 10” Subs. The enclosure was constructed out of 1/2” birch wood and black 1/2” pvc foam. This helps keep the weight down and help the enclosure last over time. Security Stainless steel fasteners are used for mounting the subwoofers. Which helps makes servicing the subs mounting last over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also I ended up swapping out the midrange dash speakers for the Hybrid Audio Legatia L3SE Speakers. These are the higher-end neodymium speakers that can handle more power.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For accident avoidance, lane departure and vandalism when parked. Has g shock sensor and motion detection when vehicle is off to protect from hit and runs and vandals.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay moving onto the trunk. I had a stealth side mount fiberglass enclosure with a 12” subwoofer. I decided to use another brand and setup this time around. Decided on using two 10” subs in a sealed enclosure setup. Two channels of the Helix PSIX will power the Evo subs. Each sub will get 230w for a total of 460w. There will be a beauty panel and trim piece mounted and secured by security fasteners and neo magnets. The trunk will still have a good amount of cargo space for my daily needs. The air ride system will be upgraded with a few new components (tank, compressors and wiring). New panels will be fabricated for this setup as well to highlight the layout.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The main panel and panel inserts are next to be made. This Beauty panel has a large insert opening in the main body of the panel. It also has a smaller insert spanning across the top of main panel. The panel was made out of the same 1/2” birch wood sheet like the sub enclosures. Then for the panel shape insert was made from two 1/2” pieces of foam pvc stacked to 1”. All insert routed out on the router machine to get the shape and profile I was after. Then the inserts edges we’re wrapped in foam tape for gaping when of insert i to the panel when wrapped in material. The panel windows are cut out the top and bottom to pass through and back into the cabin.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next I mocked up the panel in the vehicle with the subwoofer enclosure for fitment.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The main panel low and high spots filled sanded smooth. Test fitted in the vehicle again.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had some time today to get the pressed grilled done for the main beauty panel. Since the grills were longer in size then grills I normally make, I had to make larger grill press jig. First cut some aluminum round hole grill mesh to fit the size of the jig for the larger trim insert. Same was done for the top grill insert.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Next the grill panel was painted satin black and test fitted back on the trim insert. I’m still deciding on if I’m going to wrap grill in black grill cloth which will totally hide the subs. Or leave it uncovered and maybe light behind the grill. I should be able to make up my mind soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts