Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOOOOO....... anyone ever regret getting a Challenger RT with a stick shift?

I have test drove a few used Challenger RT's both with the 3.06 and even 3.92 gears and it didn't seem any faster than my Charger. It reminded me a lot like my 2008 Mustang GT, just heavier and wider lol

I have yet to drive one with a stick, I seem to love driving stick, just not in my own day to day cars as I am unable to show any restraint in rowing through the gears to redline every chance I get. :up_to_something:

I had a 2005 SRT-4, modded, stage 2 turbo upgrade and I loved it. One of the quickest cars I owned. I love the auto in the Charger's but it takes a mini fortune to get them shifting hard and crisp.

Curious if anyone's ever regretted a manual trans. Not looking at a drag racing stand point, or being the fastest guy on the block but more of a highway cruiser, day to day driver.

I tried but I can't get over how amazing they look! :eek:rder:

·
Registered
958 Posts
I traded my 010 RT 6 spd last Aug for an SXT Plus auto.

There was nothing wrong with it and it was an easy shifter. Between delivery in Sep 09 and Aug 13 I only put 13k on the car. I realized I wasn't driving it like I thought I would and I decided to trade it in rather than let it just sit. It came down to the fact that I just wasn't thrilled with a manual anymore as a DD.

I have no regrets about letting it go. If I do a third Challenger in the future it will be an automatic again regardless of which version I go with.

Reactions: ghostrt and LX_907

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would do it all over again. Actually, I am doing it all over again.
You're getting another one?

I traded my 010 RT 6 spd last Aug for an SXT Plus auto.

There was nothing wrong with it and it was an easy shifter. Between delivery in Sep 09 and Aug 13 I only put 13k on the car. I realized I wasn't driving it like I thought I would and I decided to trade it in rather than let it just sit. It came down to the fact that I just wasn't thrilled with a manual anymore as a DD.

I have no regrets about letting it go. If I do a third Challenger in the future it will be an automatic again regardless of which version I go with.
Why an RT to a Sixxer?? just curious...

I test drove a few Challengers with the auto and they felt exactly the same as my Charger, which is fine since I really like it. Only problem is, no automatic transmissions up here within my price range. I actually might end up liking the manual trans more than I think I will.

No regrets here. I love manual trans in my sports cars.
But she's not my daily driver...
Nice car :D

I have winter to contend with, which makes sense of the AWD Charger that plain kicks butt!

There is one just like yours in the parking lot at work and I see it EVERYDAY.. I want to drive it so bad, but I guess they seen me scoping it out and removed the keys from the lock box lol.. yes, I checked :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mines a 6sp and a daily just like the one in the picture and i dont regret buying it. I hardly ever redline it. I usually shift at 2k rpms and also only use 1,3,5,6 or 2,4,5,6 of i dont come to a complete stop. You'd be surprised how smooth it drives like that. Not having to shift through every gear is nice too. But still love the feeling of rowing through gears.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I regret it. Taking it into the dealership tomorrow to have the damn transmission looked at be cause the shifter has always been clunky, usually grinds going into reverse from a dead stop with the clutch fully depressed on level ground, and grinds going 1-2 or 2-3 sometimes. I got one of the bad ones, there's plenty of threads out there on it. Hopefully after tomorrow, it'll be as silky smooth as the one I test drove. That's 50% of why I bought the damn thing, the shifter was PERFECT.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I did notice was that the shifter was at an angle.. not sure how I feel about it.
At least it's angled towards the drivers seat and not away from it. That would be awkward lol..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Freaking love my 6 speed. Drive it almost daily. Even in traffic it is not that bad. IMHO this is one of the easier driving manuals I have owned. My next one will be a M6 too!

All I can say is 3rd gear is a fun gear on the freeway.

The only thing is I have to teach my Fiance how to drive a manual.. been putting it off.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'm still going back-and-forth on buying the stick vs. 8-speed. My car is going to be a daily driver all-year-around, and I just got a job with a roughly 40-mile commute each way (part of that is rush-hour city driving).

·
Registered
235 Posts
This has been another (somewhat intentional) bonus....
My better half CAN'T drive a stick...not that she couldn't learn...if she had a right arm :slap:
I can drive it single armed.. either arm. Aint pretty though.

I showed this to my Fiance.. lol.. she laughed, so she is a keeper!

Reactions: gerv and LX_907

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I have absolutely no regrets with my 6sp. Find it still fun to drive everytime I get her on the road. An absolute blast. Also, no regrets when I end up in heavy traffic.

Dick

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
There are about three days a year when I wish I had an auto, and that's when I go to the drag strip. I'm happy being happier for the other 362 :)

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Mines a 6sp and a daily just like the one in the picture and i dont regret buying it. I hardly ever redline it. I usually shift at 2k rpms and also only use 1,3,5,6 or 2,4,5,6. You'd be surprised how smooth it drives like that. Not having to shift through every gear is nice too. But still love the feeling of rowing through gears.
2,4,5,6? I hope you you have a clutch fund ready. The car is way too heavy to start in second gear. You're shortening the discs life more than you know.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Mine is the 6-spd manual and I drive her daily. I'm a 50-year-old family man and I've had all kinds of cars, from VWs to Fords to Infinitis to Audis, auto and manual. I wouldn't even consider owning an auto Challenger unless I were physically disabled or otherwise unable to do so.

For me, the Challenger is a REAL car. Although it's got a fair amount of luxury features, it's a big brute and wants to be driven hard. But even in stop-and-go traffic, I love working through the gears and being actively and intently involved in managing the transmission, gas, brakes, gears----everything.

I understand that the auto is quicker than the 6-spd overall. But I'm not a drag-racer or stoplight racer. Driving a manual WELL---no herky-jerky car motion, no stalling or over-revving the engine, doing downshifts properly and smoothly---calls for greater skill than driving an auto, and I'm all about that extra effort into the driving experience. It's more fun and more satisfying, and it demonstrates the skill of an accomplished driver.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
When I traded up to my srt, it was admittedly my first manual ever. I never really considered getting a stick, but the price and options were too good to pass up. It's been a experience for sure lol now that I somewhat mastered it, I have no regrets. It's a daily driver which I drive 340 miles a week, and my commute is 95% highway, so really as soon as I blaze off the on ramp, and shift up to 6th, it's really just another cruiser. It's still taking some memory to remember to hold down the clutch while breaking. Otherwise else no regrets :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Daily driver 50 miles round trip, only thing that I try to do is take the train every once in a while to work so I don't rack up the miles too fast. I'm only successful maybe once a week. Absolutely love 6 speeds. And yes, it can go from 2nd gear without a problem. You don't take off fast, 400 lb/ft of torque takes care of the rest. I just wouldn't want to do it ALL the time.

Regrets getting a manual Challenger?

HELL to the NO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I driven manual cars all my life.

Never had any problems with them in the past.

The only regret I have with my 6M is the tranny is made by Tremec and is complete JUNK.

A recall should be done to replace all TR-6060's in all cars Challenger, Camaro and Mustang.

Mine is currently in the dealer for tranny issues at only 27K.

TREMEC = JUNK!

·
Registered
61 Posts
As manuals go, it's a nice (and easy) transmission.

One great thing about manuals is that you can drive it in a fuel efficient manner (low rpms) but also in the next moment cut loose. Best of both worlds.

Rush hour traffic is a hassle, but you adapt.

Someday you may not have a choice, so enjoy the manual while you have it.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts