Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my wife and I went to the Lehigh Valley Auto Show. It is like the ones in Philly, with all the new cars where you can sit in them,test drive some outside, a few prototypes ( they had a 2015 Mustang GT),and all.

There was one Challenger, a new granite RT Plus with the hood scoop (the solid type, not a shaker). There was a good sized crowd around it when I saw it, two guys sitting in it, about six people walking around it, a few taking pictures, and all of them were adults of car buying age.

Across the aisle on the GM side of the show was a new bright yellow $64000 Camaro ZL1 convertible. There were only two people at this car, and they were boys around 8 years old sitting in it pretending they were driving.

I just thought I would share this observation. Sorry I didn't get pictures.:icon_confused:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2015 GT(silver metallic) was on a raised platform. You couldn't really look inside or anything. In person it looked just like all the pictures I have seen. I pointed it out to my wife, I said "there is the new mustang for next year". She said "Is that a Mustang? it doesn't look like one."
I think it looks OK ,but no wow factor for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When my wife bought her 2014 camaro ss, the dealer had a red zl1 up on a platform. I thought it looked sick. We put on a staggered set of rims 20x10 and 20x11's and it looks pretty damn mean especially with a 315 rear tire. She also got the hood wrapped in carbon fiber.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went to the NYIAS sometime around '02-'03 and I took a pic of the Trans Am with nobody around it. I knew then that the F-body was about to expire. I've been attending that show since I was a kid and the F-body always had a line of people waiting to sit in it.

I always thought that the previous (4th?) gen was pretty unattractive too.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Disagree...

ZL1's a nice car, but wouldn't be that impressive without the S/C. Handling is about the same as a SRT-8 or a STP equipped R/T.
While not much better, I believe the Camaro SS handles better than SRT or GT Stang. I've driven all 3. The LOWER Camaro seems more planted. Visibility sucks, and I'm not that impressed with Camaro's design. The ZL1 does not look bad. The fatter tires and different trim make it look pretty good. The ZL1 has 6 piston (F) and 4 piston (R) brakes. It can stop hard...and turn hard. It can 60 mph in 3.9 seconds. It is a [email protected] car. It is not as "stunning" looking as a Challenger (crowds). I also think people serious about buying a car may not spend much time around something they cannot afford.

·
Registered
116 Posts
while the challenger rt has to deal with being overweight and with an outdated hemi v8(basically any v8 with under 400hp) ,the looks,ride, are untouchable for the money. The hp problem can be fixed even though dodge should have done that 2-4 years ago. Ugly can`t be fixed quite soo cheap,lol

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Registered
880 Posts
To bad the ZL1s are SLOW! 580hp and run mid-low 12s, yeah SLOW. 110 more horsepower, 550 @3800rpms compared to my 470 @4200rpms and I run low 12s and I'm stock. With DRs hoping to crack 11s.

Looks good on paper but no cigar.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
While not much better, I believe the Camaro SS handles better than SRT or GT Stang. I've driven all 3. The LOWER Camaro seems more planted. Visibility sucks, and I'm not that impressed with Camaro's design. The ZL1 does not look bad. The fatter tires and different trim make it look pretty good. The ZL1 has 6 piston (F) and 4 piston (R) brakes. It can stop hard...and turn hard. It can 60 mph in 3.9 seconds. It is a [email protected] car. It is not as "stunning" looking as a Challenger (crowds). I also think people serious about buying a car may not spend much time around something they cannot afford.
I agree.
Anyone who thinks the ZL1 is only marginal to a SRT ,has never been in or driven one !

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts