Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the forums but not to the LX platform.

Three Charger RT AWD's under my belt in only two years. I live in Alaska so it was natural I gravitated towards them.

I have a set of studded Hankook I-Pikes 235-60-18's from my 09 Charger RT AWD and plan on swapping them on the Challenger once I get it. Not a stranger to RWD and winter time, even through the worst of storms.

Curious of how many of you drive yours year round, studded tires or not and what your overall impression of your winter driving experience was?

I love the Charger for winter, but for summer it's not as much fun as my Mustang GT was. It's more practical because of the AWD and four doors due to my work (transferring tools, tool boxes etc.) but I never actually went cruising or drove it around in the summer like I did my other cars. It feels and looks more like a sedan than a real muscle car to me. Nothing wrong with that, I bought it for that reason, since I wanted to get away from modding, racing etc. and had more thoughts of work and winter driving. Only problem with that is, my summer (vacation times), I feel there is no reward for any of my hard work.

I love going to the drag strip, long cruises, mini road trips and just idle driving around town listening to the tunes.
When I think of my Charger I think, everyday car, work/home. When I think of a Challenger, I imagine the possibilities and I become excited about driving again.

:clap:

Even with 420+whp in my 09 Supercharged RT AWD, it still didn't have the same feel as if it was a big RWD two door...

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Hi everyone, new to the forums but not to the LX platform.

Three Charger RT AWD's under my belt in only two years. I live in Alaska so it was natural I gravitated towards them.

I have a set of studded Hankook I-Pikes 235-60-18's from my 09 Charger RT AWD and plan on swapping them on the Challenger once I get it. Not a stranger to RWD and winter time, even through the worst of storms.

Curious of how many of you drive yours year round, studded tires or not and what your overall impression of your winter driving experience was?

I love the Charger for winter, but for summer it's not as much fun as my Mustang GT was. It's more practical because of the AWD and four doors due to my work (transferring tools, tool boxes etc.) but I never actually went cruising or drove it around in the summer like I did my other cars. It feels and looks more like a sedan than a real muscle car to me. Nothing wrong with that, I bought it for that reason, since I wanted to get away from modding, racing etc. and had more thoughts of work and winter driving. Only problem with that is, my summer (vacation times), I feel there is no reward for any of my hard work.

I love going to the drag strip, long cruises, mini road trips and just idle driving around town listening to the tunes.
When I think of my Charger I think, everyday car, work/home. When I think of a Challenger, I imagine the possibilities and I become excited about driving again.

:clap:

Even with 420+whp in my 09 Supercharged RT AWD, it still didn't have the same feel as if it was a big RWD two door...
Greetings, nice to meet you.

I've driven my Challenger (with the 5.7l Hemi) through three winters and it does just fine. Tires are EVERYTHING, and I would suggest snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks). Having a 6 speed manual and using traction control helps too. If you are an experienced driver, driving the Challenger with a cautious foot and good shoes (snow tires) will fare ye well.

People give me crap sometimes for driving it in the winter, but I bought my car to DRIVE it, year round, no matter what the conditions are. I feel like I'm getting the most for my money and am enjoying the Challenger for what it is, a great car that can do many things.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I drive mine year round and have had both HanKook studded (don't remember the specific) which I thought were great on my R/T. I have perilli scorpion snow and ice nonstudded on my srt and they are not as good but adequate. Steep hills with Ice will be an issue or deeper snow will be. AWD makes things very easy on the charger.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greetings, nice to meet you.

I've driven my Challenger (with the 5.7l Hemi) through three winters and it does just fine. Tires are EVERYTHING, and I would suggest snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks). Having a 6 speed manual and using traction control helps too. If you are an experienced driver, driving the Challenger with a cautious foot and good shoes (snow tires) will fare ye well.

People give me crap sometimes for driving it in the winter, but I bought my car to DRIVE it, year round, no matter what the conditions are. I feel like I'm getting the most for my money and am enjoying the Challenger for what it is, a great car that can do many things.
Thank you and thanks for the tips. I also believe in driving my cars I own, as much as many may frown on me for it lol From RX-7's to Mustang's. I also think I will be fine with RWD as I have owned a few without any issues.

The Charger with all seasons react more like RWD than a true 4x4 due to the 38/62 split of the system, with studded tires it's much better but still fishtails very easy.

I drive mine year round and have had both HanKook studded (don't remember the specific) which I thought were great on my R/T. I have perilli scorpion snow and ice nonstudded on my srt and they are not as good but adequate. Steep hills with Ice will be an issue or deeper snow will be. AWD makes things very easy on the charger.
Did you ever get stuck? I have those exact same studded tires off of my 09 Charger RT AWD.

I met you before a few summers ago in my 09 at the track. :icon_smile:

I was running 12.8/12.9's with only a torque converter and some other little mods. I supercharged it and was running low 12's before I got my 2013 Charger RT AWD last May.

I don't plan on doing much to the Challenger, just an intake, exhaust and stuff for the exterior.

Why did you sell your SRT?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I never got stuck with the hankooks besides in my very steep unplowed driveway. The tires were absolutely fantastic on ice

You had the grey/silver charger? If that is you I was wondering what you had done to drop your time so much from the one year to the next. I was always a bit envious of your times. The best times I had was a 13.44 a few times. I can't get my launch down.

My wife really wanted a new pickup and at the same time I had a totally unexpected offer on my car so I thought I would do the responsible thing. I only lasted 3 months before buying a used 2012.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I never got stuck with the hankooks besides in my very steep unplowed driveway. The tires were absolutely fantastic on ice

You had the grey/silver charger? If that is you I was wondering what you had done to drop your time so much from the one year to the next. I was always a bit envious of your times. The best times I had was a 13.44 a few times. I can't get my launch down.

My wife really wanted a new pickup and at the same time I had a totally unexpected offer on my car so I thought I would do the responsible thing. I only lasted 3 months before buying a used 2012.
That's good to hear because I have those exact same studded tires :icon_biggrin:

lol my Charger was actually black but it was dirty a lot of the time and looked dark grey or grey. I didn't do a whole lot to it honestly. It was mostly the AWD and 3500 stall torque converter with some tweaking to the Transmission control module that got me into the high 12's that one summer.

I added a supercharger a year later and it was great, but I could have ran those exact times (to the current set up without the supercharger) with a full exhaust (long tubes, high flow cats, cat back exhaust), a higher stall torque converter, and better tires. That supercharger added 150lbs. I was also not impressed by it's inconsistencies. One run I'd hit [email protected], the next few runs it would be 12.5, 12.3, and 12.7, I'd rather be [email protected] all day long naturally aspirated, than a few glory runs and a handful of runs only 0.2/0.3 less of my previous years time.

If I keep the 2013 Charger RT, I plan on the exact same NA mods that got my 09 into the 12's, with the addition of full exhaust system. It should crack mid 12's really easy and I'd be set with those times. Maybe a little more small mods to help out since the hog weighs 4,489lbs. Not really hardcore racer anymore so :SM127:

The manual transmissions are trickier to launch, but with the right tires, it would rock 1.6-1.7 60 ft.s all day long.

Do you plan on modding your new RT? I think with (3.92 or 4.10) gears, tires, a short shifter, custom tune, you'd be quicker than your old SRT...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I will be getting a trinity, considering a custom tune likely from underground. There is a shop out here that tunes but mostly Subaru's (they have the only AWD dyno in the state). Tires are an issue. The F1's on the car I just bought have a surprising amount of tread still on them. Last year I tried MT street comp 2's on the rear and they were worse then my very worn F1's. I actually still had my snow tires on when the track opened and used those the first day with interesting results. I had really great 60 foot times ,as low as 1.7x-1.9x but I spun on every shift after launch and actually thought I had lost a tire once on the shift. I play with the idea of nitrous but I am paranoid and by the time I would install all the fail safes it would likely make more sense and just go super charger. I have not researched very much yet on what small mods can help
a 392 improve. I am surprised that a supercharger tacks on 150 pounds. That is a lot of weight to hang onto the front of the car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have sold you my old MT ET Streets from my old Mustang GT, also supercharged. They actually hooked more than my transmission would allow to engage the wheels lol

I still have them, but they're on 17 inch Cobra rims that may or may not fit on the Challenger. Street drag radials are great, but you have to realllly heat some of those tires up for them to hook, so I stayed away from them and stuck with an old school bias ply tire that's nearly a true slick, but it has a dinky line down the side to make them "street legal".

The Magnacharger is a real beast. It's great if you want to run low boost (5-6psi) and if you have the right gearing, say, 3.73's at the most but considering how much it weighs, it's much better to run a decent cam/head set up and make similar numbers though a little higher up in the rpm than the blower. The instant torque is gonna make your car even harder to launch with your manual transmission, for AWD it was no problem at all.

If I had a Challenger with a stick shift, I'd do 3.73's, lightweight driveshaft, lower control arms in the rear, short shifter and some fat bias ply drag tires in the back, maybe even skinnies up front if I wanted to go all out. I am confident that'll cut mid 12's but that's just guessing. They're so much lighter than the Charger's, and being able to launch at 4k rpm on drag tires is a great combo.

I like auto's because I can just stall it, gear it, some racing tires and it'll launch like a beast. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ps
I guess I should rephrase my original question..

how well do the Challengers do in very deep snow, like during a storm? studded tires.

I know it's a loaded question, but I have never gotten stuck in my Mustang even during the worst of storms. I actually got stuck twice in my 2013 Charger RT AWD, once in the parking lot at work during an unexpected storm, and another time where I parked too close to a hill and one tire was deep in snow, the other on concrete. It just spun the tire in the snow and got stuck. Open diff FTL. Running stock all seasons though..

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I think about six inches was the max I would go in snow if it is a relatively dry snow, maybe a tad more if no real hills. You have good 18 inch studded tires and if the mustang did not have issues then I really do not think a challenger will. just remember to turn off the traction control quickly if it starts slowing you down because you might not get going again.

Those wheels would have to clear 14.25 inch front brakes. I do not remember the off set, maybe 115

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol well, it's not like I could just get up and go anytime with the Mustang though :D

With all of my Charger's it didn't matter when, where or if there was a storm I could always leave no matter what.

Honestly, I think I am feeling a little upset because the six pack hood I wanted for the Charger for the longest time is not even available and they aren't even considering custom work, and the custom tuned TCM I had planned on is having technical issues. Kind of bummed that's all... feeling like jumping ship, but maybe it's temporary.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Well hopefully the TCM issue will get solved. I have two beater 4x4's I can fall back on if needed in the winter. A two wheel drive challenger is definitely not an AWD charger. If I only had one vehicle option I could not have the challenger as much as I enjoy it.

The supercharger/plumbing was actually 150 pounds or was that all the mods you added?

I believe Alaska Raceway is opening May 11 if the weather cooperates and it certainly seems to be. I am hoping to have my car in the mid 12's stock but that is likely optimistic.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Anywho, back on track. I think that if I do get the Challenger, I am gonna sell the Hankook IPikes for some Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV studded tires. They're $260 or so a piece and are light years ahead of the Hankooks. I ran Hakka 5's on my 08 Mustang and they were the best studded tires I have ever ran. They also lasted the entire four years I owned the Pony car. The Hankook's aren't bad, and I ran them on my 09 AWD RT, but for RWD, I am gonna have to bust out the big guns :D

Hakka 7

IPikes

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Not that the weather here is at all as extreme as it probably is in Alaska, I have taken my Challenger to New York City with me a few times. The winter here has been horrible. I tried not to drive if i could avoid it, but RWD and that much power mixed with ice, snow, and potholes that make the Grand Canyon look like a creek bed definitely have convinced me never to take my baby up here again. I left it in SC where the weather is not as nasty!

Cheers!
Brendan

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol yeah, I figured a RWD in deep snow or a storm isn't the best choice. Like I stated before, the AWD of the Charger must have left me feeling spoiled and over confident in the white stuff. I have driven through countless blizzards and snow storms up here just to test it's ability, and it's never failed me once.. only to be done in by parking too close to a snow bank that one time on a sunny day. Never again! :D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I did It this year with Pirelli Scorpions and Cragar S/S 20 inchers, which is not even that ideal. Got stuck one pulling into my driveway. That was it. Luckily, I got a car from work now, so no more snow. One winter and done. It did well though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in Ohio, and have the Hankook Ipikes without studs. Have driven every day the past 3 winters with no problems. But only drove in really deep snow once. Could only go 20mph any faster and the back end would start to come around.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts