Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see how many of you guys drive your car in the winter. I’m looking to get back into a Scat Pack but I can not afford to have that and a daily driver. I like in the Great Lakes area and want to get ideas from those who do drive through the snow/winter months, what you’ve done to prep for it outside of winter tires, and what you do in the spring to clean up as best possible to avoid rust.

My 350z I drove with snow tires and it was one of the best cars I had through snow so the Challenger should be just as good. Would any of you suggest this and to those who have what do you do for prep and general maintenance.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Second winter, no problem. The right tires are the trick. While normally taboo I do run it through the occasional car wash to get the salt off the bottom of it. Get Weathertech or similar floor mats, keep the interior clean, brake early, look out for idiots on the road.

A number of times I've passed SUV's that have slid off in the ditch. Nothing like the planted feel of RWD. If in deep snow don't forget to turn traction control off to help prevent you from getting stuck. Seems counter-intuitive at first but read up on it.

Love my winter beast!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Second winter, no problem. The right tires are the trick. While normally taboo I do run it through the occasional car wash to get the salt off the bottom of it. Get Weathertech or similar floor mats, keep the interior clean, brake early, look out for idiots on the road.

A number of times I've passed SUV's that have slid off in the ditch. Nothing like the planted feel of RWD. If in deep snow don't forget to turn traction control off to help prevent you from getting stuck. Seems counter-intuitive at first but read up on it.

Love my winter beast!
Oh I agree I would do the same in my 350z with a good set of snow tires but then the inevitable rust started. I’m just worried about beating it up. Is there any prep that can be done to keep rust and chips at a minimum like 3M products or something

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I drove my 2010 Challenger in Saskatchewan winters for 5 years. The worst I got was some surface rust on the rear cradle. No structural concerns that's for sure. If you were underneath it just looked a bit bad there. If I wanted to I probably could have cleaned it off and sprayed undercoat or something. The body and floor were still fine. I washed and waxed it somewhat regularly. In 2016 When I traded it in, it still looked like new save for a few minor paint chips if you looked closely.

I wouldn't worry too much. I suppose you could try rust-proofing or undercoating, but I don't think it's any more or less rust-prone than any other car. I see plenty of 2005-06 era Chargers and 300s on the road, and they seem to be rust-free if they are taken care of.

The way I see it, when/if my 2016 starts to rust badly, I'll get it fixed. I wouldn't let that stop me from driving my dream car.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I work from home; my Jeep Wrangler 4-door is my main vehicle, especially in winter. I got the Scat Pack to get my fix of a torquey HEMI on sunny days.

Having said that we have been getting lots of snow lately here in northern Washington State, and snow plows are usually the last ones to show up on local freeways.

Last week driving my Jeep in light-to-moderate snowfall, I counted 12 vehicles in the ditch on a 20-mile stretch of I-5. They were a collection of SUVs, CUVs and FWD sedans. When local drivers see a vehicle in the ditch, they slow down to a crawl. As if there were only two driving modes: reckless (in ditch) and panicked (on road).

What I am trying to say is, you can drive a Jeep into the ditch as much as you can keep a Hellcat on the road. The key ingredients are good tires and common sense.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not sure about salt seals but for paint protection install the OEM mudflaps and do a clear bra for the nose. I just did the mudflaps.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I use the Tazer on my Scat Pack and drive it in Valet mode during winter. Slower throttle response, no wheel spin at all and better gas mileage is always a plus. The car feels like I only have about 200 HP, but I feel much safer and can control the car better on wet pavement. Also, I recommend snow tires over the all season tires for winter. I had a set of Blizzaks on my old SXT Challenger and the car drove perfectly during winter.

As for salt protection, you could try "Plasti dipping" the sides of the car with the clear dip. And peel it off in the spring. Or get the mud guards and keep the car cleaned during winter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just applied Carpro Reload to my SP last week. I had read good things about it. Not sure if it protects against the salt though. Have also read about CQuartz ceramic product but do not have experience with it. This is my first central Ohio winter with my SP, have not drove in the snow and don’t plan to as kept my old car for that.

Would like to know others thoughts on the Reload and CQuartz products

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just applied Carpro Reload to my SP last week. I had read good things about it. Not sure if it protects against the salt though. Have also read about CQuartz ceramic product but do not have experience with it. This is my first central Ohio winter with my SP, have not drove in the snow and don?t plan to as kept my old car for that.

Would like to know others thoughts on the Reload and CQuartz products
Thanks for the recommendation! So it’s like wax but thicker?

·
Registered
39 Posts
That’s what the CQuartz sounds like but it lasts for years so don’t have to wax it. Some people love to take time waxing and detailing. I don’t so plan on doing this soon. I have been reading good things about it, there are a bunch of threads on it

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That?s what the CQuartz sounds like but it lasts for years so don?t have to wax it. Some people love to take time waxing and detailing. I don?t so plan on doing this soon. I have been reading good things about it, there are a bunch of threads on it
If it’s better than wax and you gotta do it less often than wax I’m about it. So you apply it and then you can you wash your car get rained on whatever may happen and you don’t have. To reapply? What about the matte stripes? I live in NE Ohio so you can understand my salt concerns

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is my understanding. Still need to wash car but makes it much easier to get waxed look afterwards. Does not look like need reapplied for maybe 1-2 years? Not sure about the matte strips, I don’t have any but wish I did haha.

I am in Columbus so I have same salt concerns you do. Waiting for some decent weather soon to do this bc I am reading the prep takes some work bc want to get car looking perfect before applying. Luckily the weather is looking good in coming weeks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is my understanding. Still need to wash car but makes it much easier to get waxed look afterwards. Does not look like need reapplied for maybe 1-2 years? Not sure about the matte strips, I don?t have any but wish I did haha.

I am in Columbus so I have same salt concerns you do. Waiting for some decent weather soon to do this bc I am reading the prep takes some work bc want to get car looking perfect before applying. Luckily the weather is looking good in coming weeks
Yeah even up here the outlook for winter is looking very optimistic. By the time I order and take delivery the snow will be gone but can never be too careful. Figured I’d get an idea of what I’m looking at just Incase.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine is a daily driver, 2015 Sublime Scat pack A8, had a couple days of ice on the roads last week, does pretty well with traction control. When there is no traffic, put her in Sport mode to have a little sideways fun!
Gotta run through the car wash today to get the salt washed off. When the weather is nice, I always wash it by hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts