Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a vortec supercharger with meth injection installed on my challenger se. I have a flowmaster exhaust too. I put in the base tune for the kit using the predator. I drove it a bit and I got 3 trouble codes:
P0129 low pressure
P0172 & P0175 which are fuel too rich
I've read that it could be the new srt-4 map sensor or simply a bad tune.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem? Is there anyone or any place I can download a better tune until I get to a dyno?
Any other ideas on the problem would be welcome.
Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds like the tune, you cant, downlad one they're vin specific.Any of the better tuners out there can do it via email and get it close,provided the tune isn't locked Did you install new injectors? plugs? a BAP (boost a pump) ? Where did the kit come from?

·
Registered
212 Posts
if you have a boost gauge log some time in boost with the predator make sure you select barometric presuure and manifold air pressure. the barometric pressure should read 29.something and the manifold air presuure should read 14.7 plus whatever boost your making at the time i.e. 6 lbs of boost on your gauge should read 20.7 in the predator. if the #'s don,t jive the new map sensor isn,t scaled right , isn't working, the wrong one or isn't hooked up right. I had to cut off the tabs on the srt4 sensor,so my connector would fit it right. the part # on the map should be 5033224AB or 5033224AA

and probably double check all your vacuum line connections

·
Registered
212 Posts
and 1 more thing clear all the trouble codes and see if they come back, does it run ok ,if somethings going on with the map it will run like crap

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
I would suggest calling RDP Motorsports and talking to DynoSteve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm definitely going to try using the predator to check the pressure. I didn't know the predator could check that stat. The car is definitely running like crap. I have a feeling the map sensor isn't calibrated to the tune properly. I think the srt-4 sensor has a different voltage range.
Where online can I find a dyno shop in the Greenville,sc area?
Do you have a phone number for dynosteve?

·
Registered
212 Posts
check the diablosport website look for a cmr dealer in sc, there,s one in down by me near hilton head and I know the guys in charleston do good work on supercharged dodges. Plug in your stock map sensor if it runs fine its the tune( just stay the hell out of boost till you git it fixed)

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Talk to modern muscle, they designed the kit, so that is where I would start. Other than that I would talk to Johan from diablosport regarding any tuning issues, he can get you straightened out with an email tune most likely

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I check the pressures again. One is showing 28psi for the intake. I'm not sure what to look at for the manifold pressure because nothing was named that. I did look at the MAP numbers and they came out between 6 and 10 psi. If that's absolute pressure, something is seriously wrong. Please let me know if I'm looking at the right thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the srt4 MAP sensor the one that's between the engine block and the firewall? If not, could someone tell me the right place? A picture would be fantastic.

·
Registered
212 Posts
post a picture of your engine I am not sure where your kit has the new map sensor installed.your old one is probably in the stock location on the right side of the manifold. did you call the modern muscle? did you install it or did a shop do it for you?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I check the pressures again. One is showing 28psi for the intake. I'm not sure what to look at for the manifold pressure because nothing was named that. I did look at the MAP numbers and they came out between 6 and 10 psi. If that's absolute pressure, something is seriously wrong. Please let me know if I'm looking at the right thing.
if your wacthing it back on the predator under intake:
it'll say BARO in hg that's the barometric pressure of the outside air at any given time right now mine reads 30.02

under MAP thats's the pressure your sensors reading, idling mine reads 32( its in KPA) so you have to convert it to psi
so.. 32 kpa =4.64... psi, which means I'm pulling 10 pounds of vacuum at idle( which is what my gauge reads)

here's a link to convert psi to kpa PSI-KPA Pressure Converter

·
Registered
495 Posts
I haven't looked in this section for a while, but most of the information given to you is correct. Having had a MM Vortech on my old SE here is a list that may be helpful:

1) What year is your SE? The 2009 and 2010 have different tunes.

2) Where did you get the kit? MM in Oswego IL stands by their products. I know, having worked with them for a few years now. They built this kit in their facility. Call for help and ask for Justin and make sure you explain in detail what you have done and what is going on.

3) The 2 bar MAP sensor supplied (with the tab already ground off) goes on a small vacuum manifold that also runs a vacuum line to the Bosch pressure relief valve. It is normally towards the back firewall, but doesn't have to be there.

4) A side issue, make sure the Vortech V3 has lubrication fluid in it. Especially if you bought the kit from a third party.

5) Don't drive the car with the blower and a bad tune. Return the stock tune, plug in the stock MAP sensor on the intake manifold and put a cone filter on the throttle body and that will get you around town until you diagnose your problems. Leave the blower on, it will just push out air.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys, turns out I messed up the tune install. I didn't transfer the custom tune to the predator correctly. I'm getting a dyno tune at Jr racing tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no means of posting a video but its a different car now. Overall I gained 100rwhp and about 50ft-lb torque. The drive feels much lighter. When I floor it I get the RPM's up to 6000. The meth injection is the crazy. It doesn't kick in until about 3500RPM's and when it does, it throws you back into the seat. I haven't had a chance to floor it on a straight away, yet, but I'd love to see how fast I could get it up to. Problem is we don't have straight roads in this part of the country (upstate SC). If anyone has the money, I recommend getting the supercharger.
I've heard of people running just on the Modern Muscle base tune but don't do it. I could only get 212rwhp(uncorrected) but after the dyno it boosts it to 280rwhp(uncorrected). The correction factor as far as I understand it is about 10% for the conditions at the dyno the day I got it tuned. It was 90 degrees and humid as hell. I can't wait until the fall to see how much of a difference it makes.
One weird thing about the hp/torque curve on the dyno is how all 3.5L engines have a dip in the middle at around 4500RPM's. We tried smoothing it out but I think it has something to do with airflow within the manifold.
Anyways, I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
glad you got it all worked out...so what did the whole thing run yah if you don't mind posting
I'm having some new stripes installed tomorrow that I'm pretty sure is really gone boost HP LOL

·
Registered
752 Posts
Where did you get the SC from? Is the boost adjustable with the change of a pulley? How does it compare to a turbo in cost? Is it available for the 3.6 yet?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have no means of posting a video but its a different car now. Overall I gained 100rwhp and about 50ft-lb torque. The drive feels much lighter. When I floor it I get the RPM's up to 6000. The meth injection is the crazy. It doesn't kick in until about 3500RPM's and when it does, it throws you back into the seat. .

You do know Meth injection hhas nothing to do with performance. It doesn't kick in and do anything but cool down the charge. The way you wrote that makes it sound like you think its nitrous, sorry if I am misunderstanding your writing, but that's what it sounds like.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts