Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today in my automatic 2015 Dodge Challenger r/T, I was stopped at an intersection when a message came up on the dash that stated "Shift to park, then desired gear."... As I was still in drive, tried to give it gas and nothing, then had to shift to park and back to drive like it said and problem was gone. I've only owned this car for 3 days now and am now worried I have transmission issues to worry about in the near future. 46k miles. Anyone else had this happen in their dodge? Red flag or possible software fluke? Only after market part in the vehicle is the radio head unit.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) See if this thread, and the video I posted sound like what you have

Unfortunately, no one has posted a "this fixed it" post

If you Google

Shift to park, then desired gear

You'll find lots of FCA threads, mostly Jeeps. Most report transmission/valve body repairs

A Guy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) See if this thread, and the video I posted sound like what you have

Unfortunately, no one has posted a "this fixed it" post

If you Google

Shift to park, then desired gear

You'll find lots of FCA threads, mostly Jeeps. Most report transmission/valve body repairs

A Guy
Thank you for the welcome! It's a shame I buy what essentially is my dream car and have this happen days later. I took a look at your posts on the other thread and the one time it's happened to me has been from stationary position while in Drive. Identical to the Original poster's situation. Many similar complaints on NHTSA.gov as well. I appreciate your reply!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Yeah, that's not good, it was a private party sale? I hate to be negative, but maybe why it was sold?

A Guy

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Ahhh, you may have some recourse if it's a dealer

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,036 Posts
I would get the 2015 TSB software "reflash", if it wasn't done yet and replace the transmission fluid/filter. The valve body is the shift control center and if the fluid is funky it won't work right.

"The valve body is the control center of the automatic transmission. It contains a maze of channels and passages that direct hydraulic fluid to the numerous valves which then activate the appropriate clutch pack or band servo to smoothly shift to the appropriate gear for each driving situation."

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
3 days you should be covered by the dealer. Even if the car is used at a certain price there is an implied warranty. I would go back to the dealer and have a work order made and keep a copy for your records. I workEd at a few used car places in NY that would tell the customer not to worry about it and we’ll do a ref lash and clear the computer that it’s common because the car sat for a while...... Get a written record of the problem this way if you have a problem at 33 days and it’s covered for 30 days you can prove it was an issue when you bought the car..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts