Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a tough time deciding on purchasing either an Challenger SRT392/TA/SCATPACK SHAKER and used 2010 Chevy Tahoe 4wd or Dodge Durango SRT 392.

I definitely need a vehicle for the winter time and space for the kids just two of them and also an muscle car.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I'd do the first combo. Challenger > Durango IMO.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
2018 is the first year of the Durango SRT, looking at around $65k. Definitely the most expensive of the 3 options.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Welcome. I don't think you can get a bad Challenger. No idea about trucks. Depends on your budget. I really like the Scat Pack Shaker. Good luck and let us know what you do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My budget is $55,000 and that's tops so I think purchasing an 17' Challenger SRT392/TA/SCATPACK SHAKER between 35-40 grand and used 2009/10 Chevy Tahoe for about 15 grand together would be my best choice.

As the Tahoe has more room in it compared to the Durango SRT.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Sounds like a plan! Now you have to decide between Challenger models. What hits your fancy the shaker hood or T/A SRT bubble look. I am a sucker for a Shaker. This is your car so this is what I would consider first. Not a bad choice to be had here. You're on a good flight path...........now just look at them and decide. Will this vehicle be garaged all year?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
My budget is $55,000 and that's tops so I think purchasing an 17' Challenger SRT392/TA/SCATPACK SHAKER between 35-40 grand and used 2009/10 Chevy Tahoe for about 15 grand together would be my best choice.

As the Tahoe has more room in it compared to the Durango SRT.
Scat Pack is easily within that range new.

What purpose do you need the Tahoe for?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Apparently for the winter times. No idea where he lives anyway.
If it's just for winter, you could probably check the same dealer to see if they have any left-over barebones Renegade 4x4.

I've seen them go for $14k new here in Cali, just be aware it might come without A/C. Not that you would need it for winter time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone input and I test drove the 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker yesterday and I must say what a car. I will be purchasing this vehicle and add the $700 6 piston BREMBO brakes plus upgrade the tires to 275 I need that width.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Thanks for everyone input and I test drove the 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker yesterday and I must say what a car. I will be purchasing this vehicle and add the $700 6 piston BREMBO brakes plus upgrade the tires to 275 I need that width.
Nice!

If you have the money go ahead, but if you have to do one of those first, I recommend tires.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Are you sure you need the 6 piston brakes? I'm glad I have the 4s. Unless you will be tracking the car.
Other than that......CONGRATULATIONS. The exact choice I would have tried to make. Pics and more details when you can. Details my friend. Very happy for you!

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
Since you're looking at winter driving and changing out tires - look into all-season tires (unless you need a dedicated snow tire where you live). The "summer" versions don't like temperatures <45*F and the tread compound wears much faster vs. the all - season versions.

With the torque of the 392 / 6.4, rear tire wear is apparent with a softer compound tire, especially if you drive more 'spirited'....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
silver scat - I'm up in the Air with the 6 piston Brembo brakes I might just stay with the 4 piston Brembo brakes instead of spending the extra $700.00 for them. I definitely want the hellcat rims on my car.

Hal H - I won't be driving the SRT in the snow at all it will be parked and would have the Chevy Tahoe for the winter time. I'm definitely getting all-season tires just trying to figure out which brand to pick Michelin or Goodyear. I want the 275 tire I want wide tires for more grip. Like you said I will be an "spirited driver".

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
silver scat - I'm up in the Air with the 6 piston Brembo brakes I might just stay with the 4 piston Brembo brakes instead of spending the extra $700.00 for them. I definitely want the hellcat rims on my car.

Hal H - I won't be driving the SRT in the snow at all it will be parked and would have the Chevy Tahoe for the winter time. I'm definitely getting all-season tires just trying to figure out which brand to pick Michelin or Goodyear. I want the 275 tire I want wide tires for more grip. Like you said I will be an "spirited driver".

Glad to hear. Did you catch the price of replacement rotors for the larger ones? I too would like those rims!
I got the 275s on my rear now, no real traction gain........just the coolness gain. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts

My vote is for the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season

I had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (the current version are A/S 3 Plus now) and I'm barely over 17K on the Benz (3,200# car) and they were treadlife warranty of 45K.
Doubt they'll make it to 18K, which is not acceptable to me.

I've had three sets of Michelins
>Pilot Sport Exalto (all season) got ~ 27K [Benz]
>MXM4 Primacy - 24K (OEM tire on '09 R/T)
>Pilot Sport A/S 3 ~ 17K [Benz]

I have ~ 13K on the SPS with the Goodyears [275/40] and just over 1/32 tread worn so for.
With that, I have a set of GY in the garage for the Benz, waiting to install them.

I want to wear out the crappy Michelins; they're just at 4/32, and I'm noticing the fronts don't grip that great driving on wet roads in town, making turns. Rock hard characteristic and have the grip of old pencil erasers...I despise the &*#! Michelins that much...I wish I could get on track and grind them down to nothing, just for the hell of it.

I'm "done" with Michelin as a brand; they don't last very long and once you get halfway through tread, they get noisier on anything but a brand new smooth asphalt surface.
After 3 sets of tires, I've had enough experience to write them off for further consideration in the future.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
silver scat - No I didn't catch the price for the replacement rotors at all how much do they cost as I know they probably are expensive and that's the case 4 piston Brembo will do just fine for me. I thought the 275s would have better traction since its a wider tire.

Hal H - Sorry to hear about the Michelins being Sh*tty and not providing real grip and wears down faster. I had Michelins before on my 2014 Chrysler 300S AWD. I will stick with the Goodyear tires and when they wear down get the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
silver scat - No I didn't catch the price for the replacement rotors at all how much do they cost as I know they probably are expensive and that's the case 4 piston Brembo will do just fine for me. I thought the 275s would have better traction since its a wider tire.

Hal H - Sorry to hear about the Michelins being Sh*tty and not providing real grip and wears down faster. I had Michelins before on my 2014 Chrysler 300S AWD. I will stick with the Goodyear tires and when they wear down get the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season.

Around $900. per rotor. To be fair the replacement 275s are BF Goodrich and the originals were the Goodyear OEM tires.
The Goodyears may have bit a little harder than the Goodrichs in the 275 width but probably not much. You really have to go into a summer tire to get the good bite. I enjoy the Goodrich's, not into racing. Just having fun! Unless that mean racing..... but not seriously. Haha. Good luck!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Be careful considering tires based on other people's recommendations. You sound like you want a performance tire, and I hope you understand the treadwear tradeoff that you have to accept. Those goodyears or BF Goodrich's don't get good reviews from people who are "spirited" drivers. Yeah no 275 street tire will "hook" behind the 392 with the A8, but some will do much better than others. I would totally opt for the dynamics package if I were you, hope you get the summer rubber and not the all seasons that can come on these cars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate everyone feedback I'm checking out different tires now. Definitely doing my research as I see 305/35-20 would be a great option for traction. Someone else mentioned to me to go with a Conti tire. Also that is a lot of money just to replace those rotors at 8-900 a piece to damn expensive. I know for sure Im not doing any type of track or drag racing. I just want good tires with better grip and traction when I feel spirited.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts